•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

=[ PicoBrew ]=

• Please log in to reply
596 replies to this topic

#1 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • aka:grantmichaels
  • (x4)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

http://picobrew.com/

in my color, too ... apple aluminum ;)

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 wheebz

wheebz

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • aka:Mr. Awesome
  • (x1)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

that might be the laziest brewing apparatus ive ever seen

Owner and Head Brewer of Collusion Tap Works

#3 Gotrox

Gotrox

Smokin' Hot

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

Awfully small keg.

Gallon maybe?

Gone in 1 afternoon.

By myself.

If they shipped with 5----hmmmmm.

Still, 1300-1500 a bit steep.

Got a Mr. Beer at a thrift store for 5$ never used. Maybe should brew up a batch of fosters. (they sell the kits for it).

Been a few years since I decanted a glass.

"you call that hot"????
"try this"
"Wait----lemme get my camera"

#4 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, not picking one up myself, I just thought I'd share because like wheebz said, it looked like the most automated thing I'd seen to date for the home brewer ...

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#5 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 16,340 posts
  • aka:Scovie. Molé King. Sofa King...
  • Location:Middle of the top of the upper left corner of the lower 48
  • (x7)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

wheebz never said "automated"

#6 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

wheebz never said "automated"

is there a difference in the context of tooling?

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#7 wheebz

wheebz

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • aka:Mr. Awesome
  • (x1)

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

ive already done a bunch of reading up on this thing

it makes 2.5 gallons at a time from what I remember, and it has separate chambers for each ingredient

throw ingredients into the chambers, hit the start button, get beer out

Owner and Head Brewer of Collusion Tap Works

#8 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

i would get one in a second ... if i could possibly drink $2000 worth of beer in the same amount of time as the machine will possibly last, and then, i would be able to have near the selection of just buying professional products ...

i'm the audience, i just can't rationalize it ... especially since the only category of beer that i enjoy broadly are the stout variety, with just a couple of individuals other beers that i somewhat enjoy (negra modelo, blue moon, dead guy ale, bolita brown) ...

now, show me the home distillery that's that simple and things would be diff ...

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#9 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

i would get one in a second ... if i could possibly drink $2000 worth of beer in the same amount of time as the machine will possibly last, and then, i would be able to have near the selection of just buying professional products ...

i'm the audience, i just can't rationalize it ... especially since the only category of beer that i enjoy broadly are the stout variety, with just a couple of individuals other beers that i somewhat enjoy (negra modelo, blue moon, dead guy ale, bolita brown) ...

Things change ... for one, I'm not rational any longer ... w00t!

And the other thing, is that I can easily drink $2000 during a PicoBrew's lifetime, and probably in any given ~6 months or some shit ...

So, since this thread has a nice little history already - I've completed the loop and ordered my PicoBrew - three years later.

I have to say, I'm excited ...

#WortPrinter2017

LOL ...

All of the little stuff relating to beer I have time for between working etc ... but not the brewing, more often than not ...

That other eBIAB rig couldn't be trusted to be left alone, unfortunately, and certainly not loaded up with grain for big beers ...

The pump was a risk to flood the kitchen with cabinetry-nightmare sugar-water - enough to cause 20k in damage inside of 5 minutes while being ignored ...

Never, never underestimate how quickly PUMPED water flows, and just how big of a mess each next gallon after the one before it creates! More on this later ...

So, f**k that POS ... I harvested the SS plumbing and put the kettle by the mailbox for someone to enrich their life with ... sayonara and good riddance ...

Anyways ... I was never able to work while I brewed like I'd wanted to be able to when I purchased it ... which made all of the other size and volume constraints a PITA to deal with, since it was failing to meet it's mandate the whole time ...

Now though, I WILL be able to work and brew at the same time ... there's going to be a 3.5-4.5 hour block of hands off brewing, and the process-monitoring is there, both automated and for my viewing pleasure ...

I do love me some graphing ...

Beyond that, all of the split-batch comparison stuff I'd planned to do in a bigger kettle, I can just do running the P.B. back to back with a 30 min flush in the middle ...

Making bigger batches by combining is a solved problem, and in fact, I'll be able to make a 5-6 gal batch of decently large beer in 8-9 hrs, only having to spent 30 mins doing much on either end - and in the middle - of two four-hour blocks ...

The truth is that my eBIAB rig couldn't even net 3 gallons of huge beer in 8 hrs, having to serially mash and shit, so getting 5-6x for that time is pretty great in comparison ...

I WAS looking at going bigger ... but, the power requirements, the cost/size of everything goes up and up, and frankly - I'm setup already to rock out with the PicoBrew ...

I already have a herd of kegs, and they're all going to be useful this way ...

I do actually prefer 2.5-3 gal batches ... so I can have a bunch of beers ... and don't need 5-10 gallons for anything except splitting them, anyways ...

The moment of clarity came when I was reviewing the cart I had put together with a 14 gal conical (with temp control coils) and thought back to what wheebz said ...

They often brew over and over in the kettle, filling the fermenter with multiple batches ...

So, I asked him if you pitch after the 1st or last batch goes in, and he said the first, and I was like - ding, ding ...

I looked into things, and people love having them - and they seem to still brew on their bigger systems as well.

But when you look closely at the recipe editor - if you use the advanced editor, you can literally program the brew exactly, outputting an beer.xml file ...

Literally every step and temp you desire ...

The way it works inherently solved some other problems that crop up ... for instance, the heating is done through glycol, to 207F, so there's no maillard creation because there's no contact with a direct heat source ... since you can add melanoidin malt or roast adjuncts to get this, this is a nice perk of the design ...

You can program pauses, to be able to add extra hops, and more importantly ... program it to be mashed twice ... so you can make huge ass beers ... the same way I've been doing manually.

The sanitation is a button push, including the pump, and takes place in the keg, right where I like it, and the water and electricity are completely self contained ...

I'm sure the mash efficiency suffers in some respects, but all in all the rewards far outweigh the costs - and it's not like I'm posting my SS kettles on eBay next weekend or anything ...

Bonus perks - no electrician required (was going to be expensive, when even a 240V inline GFCI breaker is $150+) ... no f**king with 240V power and liquids ... and frankly, very little to obsess about going forward beyond the ingredients and recipe ...

Yeah ... so ... I'm excited, anyways ...

I think I'll start to really pick up the pace of cruisin' through the yeast, hops, and grains I've accumulated in the coming months ...

Cheers and Happy New Years! ...

:cheers:

Edited by grantmichaels, 30 December 2016 - 08:24 PM.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#10 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

Cool. Enjoy it.

I looked at it when you mentioned that you were getting it. It says it only holds 9lb of grains....I do not think you will get much more than 8% ABV on a 2.5gallon batch. Plenty big for my tastes, but I lnow you like em bigger. Does it say what is expected max ABV you can expect to get on a max capacity batch?

I'm happy to test it out on tctenten if you don't know!  :D

#11 t0mato

t0mato

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,935 posts
  • aka:p1ckle

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

I would totally buy one of them. 

I am the Pickle Princess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#12 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 37,505 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x2)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

So this is the Keurig of brewing, okay, I am going to look into this. I'm not really into brewing tho, but I guess this is a good starter. So it's a definite maybe.

I am going for max crust on the lower end

#13 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

Cool. Enjoy it.

I looked at it when you mentioned that you were getting it. It says it only holds 9lb of grains....I do not think you will get much more than 8% ABV on a 2.5gallon batch. Plenty big for my tastes, but I lnow you like em bigger. Does it say what is expected max ABV you can expect to get on a max capacity batch?

You can mash serially, the same way I do here, in the Advanced Editor ...

So, 9 lbs and then 9 lbs more for 18# in 2-3.75 gal batch ... or 9# more for 27 lbs too, if you dare ...

It was even discussed in the threads on their site, the system itself can handle astonishingly high-viscosity wort without a problem ...

And, you can actually go up to a batch of 3.75 behind the scenes for like a session beer ...

It all happens in a loop that's built upon the space in a 5 gal corny ...

All things that led me to pull the trigger up researching carefully ...

I read ever single thread on the forum for it over the course of two days last weekend ;) ...

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#14 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

that might be the laziest brewing apparatus ive ever seen

Love me some Wheebz

#15 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

So this is the Keurig of brewing, okay, I am going to look into this. I'm not really into brewing tho, but I guess this is a good starter. So it's a definite maybe.

The Pico is the Keurig of brewing ... although once they allow you to have your own recipe come in PicoPaks - that will be dope AF ...

The Zymatic is a bit beyond the Keurig-of-brewing ...

If you watch anything, watch this one:

Love me some Wheebz

Yeah, I asked Pookie to change the thread title from =[ pico brew ]= to =[ PicoBrew ]= so I could keep the rich history from 3 years ago ...

Love me some Wheebz and Scov ...

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#16 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

You can mash serially, the same way I do here, in the Advanced Editor ...

So, 9 lbs and then 9 lbs more for 18# in 2-3.75 gal batch ... or 9# more for 27 lbs too, if you dare ...

It was even discussed in the threads on their site, the system itself can handle astonishingly high-viscosity wort without a problem ...

And, you can actually go up to a batch of 3.75 behind the scenes for like a session beer ...

It all happens in a loop that's built upon the space in a 5 gal corny ...

All things that led me to pull the trigger up researching carefully ...

I read ever single thread on the forum for it over the course of two days last weekend ;) ...

Do you have to run the full brew cycle 4 hours or mash 2-3 times before you go ahead with the boil?

#17 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 37,505 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

My main hurdle is I enjoy buying good beer, and am not interested in the satisfaction of pulling off a good homebrew... but for cost and convenience, that could always change my mindset, and I would be interested in that once I get going.

#18 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

Do you have to run the full brew cycle 4 hours or mash 2-3 times before you go ahead with the boil?

You can program it to do whatever you want it to do ... incl mash, pause for a change out, mash more, and then boil ...

It's process-automation ... it's doing your process ...

The sparge arm moves around depositing the water into the different compartments ...

It senses temps and adjusts to hit what you spec ...

It works just like how my eBIAB did, honestly - just, with much better reporting and monitoring, is all ...

$150 off Pico "PICODENNY"

$200 off Zymatic "ZYMDENNY"

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

#19 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 37,505 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

I think it costs too much for me to see the benefit, screw it I live by a good brewery that's enuf for me...

#20 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 37,474 posts
  • (x4)

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

My main hurdle is I enjoy buying good beer, and am not interested in the satisfaction of pulling off a good homebrew... but for cost and convenience, that could always change my mindset, and I would be interested in that once I get going.

It's worth checking out fully, to really get a feel for the whole schtick ...

It's going to be a platform for gypsy brewers to help grow ...

You can make recipes, and then they can fulfill them, and you can advertise your brand etc ...

https://www.picobrew...ce/Index.cshtml

Or, as a brewery: https://www.picobrew...dpSignup.cshtml

That's pretty cool. Are you making the brewery's beer ... no, you aren't ... but the breweries are trying to give people ball park approximations within the constraints (dry yeast etc) ... and something's arguably better than nothing (no distro)  ...

I think it costs too much for me to see the benefit, screw it I live by a good brewery that's enuf for me...

There's that.

That's why I didn't buy it initially.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users