• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellowing Leaves Habanero/Bhut Under LED

Hi,
New to the forum here. I have had a look around to try and find the answer to the question I have.
I am growing a variety of chillies from seed, under two 300w rated LED light panels. Each light has a more realistic power output of about 180-200 watts. The cabinet walls are lined with mylar and there is an active air intake/output. Lights are on 18, off 6. The floor area is 1200mmx900mm and the lights are roughly 70cm above the plants.
All the plants are very stocky. I may need to stretch them by raising the light soon i think.
My Habaneros are VERY short and the leaves are yellowing heavily, at times almost going white.
They are about 6 weeks old.
I have been feeding them with Chilli Focus and given them some fish emulsion.
I am waiting on a ph meter so i can get a better idea of the soil ph.The soil is a mixture of organic potting mix for vege etc and perlite.
Is the problem a lack of calcium? will bonemeal help fix this? or should i just leave them and hope they come right.
Some of my bhut jolokias that were looking healthy are starting to show the same symptoms.
any help would be appreciated, i am very new to this.
Thanks
Chris

Sick Hab
J6jR2Y6.jpg

Sick Hab
UOKm4hy.jpg

Sick Bhut 
or3VoAo.jpg

Healthier Bhut
8MoutS7.jpg

Setup
uC8Mady.jpg

Your album appears to be restricted. I prefer imgur.com. Get the direct link and put it in ['/img] tags without the little quote. It'll embed right into your post. Also try this. [URL="http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.asp"]http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.asp[/URL]

Be careful when treating for deficiencies, it's really easy to overdo it and poison your plant by accident. I know because I've done it a few times.

Thanks SciurusDoomu, I knew there had to be a easier way to embed pics. Will do that when i have a bit more free time later today. Have opened up that album to public for now.

That chart looks helpful .Cheers

I would say almost definitely a Ca deficiency. Treat with a steady full dose of CalMag+. The newer leaves that look really bad wont get better, but new growth will show you if it's working.

Looks like the healthy bhut is starting to show some signs too. CalMag would be a good way to start, source of calcium and the magnesium to help correct the yellowing.

What's the opinion on these kinds of situation, if these leaves are chlorotic and no longer produce chlorophyll, would it be advisable to pull the leaves off or does the plant no longer waste energy on these leaves?

^  The plant will shed the leaf on its own when it no longer has use for it, BUT if the leaf starts to mold or rot, pull it OR cut off the affected area on the leaf.

While I don't know what is causing the yellowing, I am doubting it is insufficient calcium at this early point in their growth, though I suppose it is possible... just because a product claims it can do something like grow plants doesn't prove it can.

Back