• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

jma1787's 2014 Grow Log

My 2013 pepper crop was a disappointment. Most of the chilies I planted in the ground were either eaten by rabbits, died or grew poorly. I suspect that high soil pH is the reason for poor growth performance, but I haven't tested the soil. I do have a Pin Oak that wasn't doing well though and the arborist who treated it told me that the soil in my area has a high pH value (high 7's). I also made the mistake of thinking that fish emulsion was a complete fertilizer. I know better now.

Other plants that I grew in pots were started late, grew slowly and failed to set fruit before it became too hot and the blossoms dropped all summer long. Once it cooled off enough to set fruit, it became a race against time for the pods to ripen before it freezes. 

I do plan to overwinter several of the 2013 plants for an early start next year, but my lack of success has forced me to come up with a better strategy.

2014 Crop Plan

To begin, I'm going to start my seeds this month (November). I've research methods and equipment and after a few days on Amazon, I think I have everything I need.

My crop this year has many super hots, but after the first of the year, I'll also start some Jalapeños, Chocolate Bells, California Wonder Bells and Banana Peppers. I also want to try some Aji Amarillo. However, this is what I will start this week.

Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scropion
Red Paper Latern
Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Chocolate Habanero
Red Aji Dulce (no heat)
Red Savina
Orange Habanero
Fatalii

The Fatalli seeds were ordered from Pepper Gal where I also ordered sodium nitrate to soak the seeds in before planting. Everything else was ordered from Hinterland Trading.

Equipment

For equipment to germinate the seeds and maintain the plants until spring, I ordered:

21" x 11" x 2" propagation trays (5)
21" x 11" propagation tray domes (2)
9" x 20" Ecogear Seed Heating Mat (1)
Hydrofarm FLCDG125D Fluorowing Compact Fluorescent System w/CFL Bulb (2)
Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats (1)
23" W x 13" D x 30" H Three Shelf Unit (1)

All in, I spent ~$270, but everything can be used multiple times and should provide several years of productive use. (I might need to buy new grow bulbs at some point though.)

To hold my seedlings, I already have more new six-pack cell units than I know what to do with. Since each tray can hold 8 units of 6 cells for 48 total cells, I will need to double crop some varieties.

Seeding Method

Since super hot varieties are difficult to germinate, I'm going to employ a dual soaking strategy this year. The first step will be a 10 minute soak in a 3% hydrogen peroxide, water solution to reduce the risk of seed born viruses, diseases, and fungi. I'll utilize 1.5 teaspoons of H2O2 to one cup of warm water for this step.

The second stage will include a 24 hour soak in a solution of potassium nitrate and warm water mixed at 1 teaspoon KNO3 to one quart of water. I'll then place the solution and seeds in small, sealed jars on top of a seed heating mat for 24 hours.

For a planting medium, I plan on using Jiffy Organic Seeding Mix. Since germination may be erratic, I plan on cutting individual cells from six-pack units, filling them then placing them into uncut six-pack units in the heated propagation tray. This will allow me to move individual plants to under the grow light once they've sprouted.

Using a heat mat plugged into a thermostat, I plan to keep the cells at a targeted 85F in a closed propagation tray until germination. 

Indoor Growing Strategy

Once the seedlings have developed their first true leaves, I'll transplant the most healthy plants into larger containers using Fox Farms Ocean Forrest potting soil. I will then place the larger containers (probably 16 oz Solo cups) in propagation trays. I plan on hanging the two Hydrofarm Grow Lights on the second and third shelf of the 3-shelf unit I bought at Home Depot. I'll connect the lights and a small oscillating fan I have to a timer to provide roughly 15 hours of light and gentle air movement a day.

To maintain proper plant health, I plan on using Bayer Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control for season long protection. I had a very difficult time controlling aphids this year using Neem oil and around September, white flies added to my frustration. I've heard good things about this product and look forward better insect control this year.

Once the seedlings are up, I'll start them with a very weak fish emulsion feeding once a week, but after they are transplanted, I plan on bi-weekly (or weekly, if I see some plants need it) feeding of Fish Emulsion (5-1-1), Vigoro Plant Food (10-10-10) and Epsom salts all dissolved in tap water that has sat in an open container for a few days to dissipate the chlorine or rain water if I'm able to collect enough. I also plan on spreading bone meal onto the surface of the soil every other week. 

I'm a little concerned that my fertility program has too much N and not enough P or K, but I've read that others have had success with this regiment, so I'm going to start with that. If anyone has a better recommendation, I'd like to hear about it.

I started my Grow Log last week, but decided to post it here today so there will be a few entries all posted today, but correctly dated in the body of the post.

November 3, 2013

Over the summer, I bought several orange Rocoto peppers from Fiesta Market and saved a bunch of seeds. To date, I've tried twice to germinate those seeds with 0% success. Today I tried a new seeding method. I preformed a 10 minute H2O2 soak followed by a 36 hours soak in weak chamomile tea set on a heating mat. I intended a 24 hour soak, but was not able to plant when originally planned. I was going to use KNO3, but it has not arrived yet.

I planted 18 seeds, placed them in a covered seed tray and placed on a heating mat attached to a thermostat set to 85F.

November 9, 2013

Began the 2014 crop process today, however I changed my variety mix from what I originally planned above. I did this because I received some bonus seeds from Hinterland Trading that I wanted to try. So, today, I began soaking 13 different varieties using the soaking method described earlier. Also included in the crop plan is the Yellow Rocoto I planed on November 3, but which has not sprouted yet.

To simplify the soaking procedure, instead of using individual containers for each variety, I utilized two plastic ice cube trays. I numbered each cell in the tray with a number that corresponded with a particular variety. I mixed the H2O2 solution in a measuring cup then filled the first tray to ~ 3/4 full and added 12 seeds to each cell. While they were soaking, I then mixed the KNO3 solution and filled a second tray, again about 3/4 full and transferred the seeds to the second tray, placed it on a plastic lid in case of spillage and placed the whole unit on a  heating mat in located in the corner of a out of the way room.

November 10, 2013

After soaking the seeds soaked for roughly 24 hours, I started the sowing process for the 2014 crop:

Fatalii
Scotch Bonnet
Douglah
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scropion
Red Paper Latern
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot
Red Aji Dulce (no heat)
Red Savina
Orange Habanero
Yellow Rocoto

In addition to the varieties above, I also plan to over winter some of this year's plants, perhaps 4-5 plants in all. Since a freeze is forecasted mid-next week (Nov 12-13), I need to decide which plants to bring in soon. I also have seven Red Rocoto plants that I grew from seed this past summer. I started them in the summer because I've read that it takes about a season and a half to raise Rocotos. Right now, they are roughly 8" tall.

For starting my seeds, I used Jiffy Organic Seed Starter medium. To make it easier to work with, I mixed the soil with distilled water prior to filling the planting containers. I filled each cell, leaving a little room at the top, then placed two seeds in each cell. I then covered the seeds with roughly 1/8" - 1/4" of planting medium. This method produces a very loosely filled environment making it easy for the seeds to sprout and the plants to grow in.

Since germination will be varied with some seeds of the same variety taking longer than others, I cut individual cells from six pack units and placed each into a corresponding intact unit. This will allow me to move spouted plants to a location where they can get light. Also, since these containers will be temporary and I didn't feel like writing the variety names 90 times, I labeled each cell with a number corresponding to the variety in the list above.

I then placed each six-pack into a propagation tray with a clear plastic cover. The two trays were placed on a double sized heating mat connected to a thermostat set to 85F. Even thought the soil was already moistened, I sprayed the the surface of each cells with a mist of distilled water before closing them up.

Awesome start. I too have made my share of errors in my first season. Its amazing how much you learn though. I'll be following your log.

Thanks Sarge! I have some pictures I'd like to share as well, but can't figure out how to do that. Can you point me in the right direction for photo upload instructions?

You have to have the pictures hosted on Google+, photobucket or some other photo site. Then use the IMG tags (or the little image button in the reply toolbar)

Thanks Jeff! Let me try this from Photobucket...

To simplify the soaking procedure, instead of using individual containers for each variety, I utilized two plastic ice cube trays. I numbered each cell in the tray with a number that corresponded with a particular variety. I mixed the H2O2 solution in a measuring cup then filled the first tray to ~ 3/4 full and added 12 seeds to each cell. While they were soaking, I then mixed the KNO3 solution and filled a second tray, again about 3/4 full and transferred the seeds to the second tray, placed it on a plastic lid in case of spillage and placed the whole unit on a  heating mat in located in the corner of a out of the way room.

SeedSoakingTray_zpsadb54bb5.jpg

Since germination will be varied with some seeds of the same variety taking longer than others, I cut individual cells from six pack units and placed each into a corresponding intact unit. This will allow me to move spouted plants to a location where they can get light. Also, since these containers will be temporary and I didn't feel like writing the variety names 90 times, I labeled each cell with a number corresponding to the variety in the list above.

Six-Pack_zpsaeaf71ee.jpg

I then placed each six-pack into a propagation tray with a clear plastic cover. The two trays were placed on a double sized heating mat connected to a thermostat set to 85F. If you look closely, the probe cable can be seen between the third and fourth cells on the right side of the uncovered tray. Even thought the soil was already moistened, I sprayed the the surface of each cells with a mist of distilled water before closing them up.

PropagationTrays_zps927d4f43.jpg

This is a vey well written and helpful log. Thanks!
I too had a horrible 2013 season. I switched to an all organic grow and didnt do enough research prior to the switch. Thought my various manures and compost would have enough nutrients. Nope.
So i've been researching like crazy. Ill be starting some of my seeds in about 2 weeks. So ill be watching your log, as you have nice month or so head start on me.

Thanks for using a lot of detail

Great list for 2014, good luck with your upcoming growing season, and I'll pop in from time to time to read, since I'm pretty new to all this too. ;)

December 3, 2013

The day after my November 15th entry, I departed for Mexico for a week of fishing. Before leaving, I gave my wife detailed instructions on caring for my crop. For the most part, she did a good job in caring for the newly sprouted seedlings. However, because the planting medium tends to dry out quickly, several of seedlings died. To assess my success rate, I put together this table:

Image_zps10628462.png

Since the Yellow Rocoto failed to germinate for the third time, I'm convinced that these seeds will not grow for some unknown reason. Therefore, I calculated success both including them and excluding them. I'm not sure what happened to the Yellow Bhut Jolokia seeds, but overall I'm content with my germination rate. I may try the yellow Bhuts again just to check out the seed viability.

At this point, my Fatalii, Yellow Devil's Tongue, Red Trinidad Scorpion, Red Paper Lantern, Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot, Red Aji Dulce, Red Savina and Orange Habanero have all developed true leaves so I will be transplanting them this week. I just need to buy some Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil first. I expect the remaining healthy seedlings to be ready for transplanting next week, but we'll see.

Wow I like this Glog. I too have started seedlings in November and will be following your Glog as well as starting my own Glog around Christmas. I have 400 now with plans for another 700 by planting in June.

Here's a picture of my growing set up. As mentioned before, I bought the shelf at Home Depot. You'll notice I placed aluminum foil around the sides and back of the unti, but left the front open for natural airflow and the gental breeze the fan provides. Everything is on a timer set to run 15 hours a day.

The plants on the top shelf are ready for transplanting. Those on the lower shelf should be ready next week.

85ED311C-CFE3-4598-8AD5-87050595783C_zpsrwhbehk0.jpg

December 7, 2013

Today I transplanted my peppers. I selected the healthiest, most vigorous plants and even though it was hard to do, disposed of the rest. I wanted to keep 1-2 more plants of each variety, but due to space constrains under the grow lights, I only ended up with 3 plants of 10 varieties and 2 plants of 2 varieties. I also had to put the 2 Orange Habanero plants I kept on a window sill in the kitchen. If they don't make it, I figure I can always buy a few of those at a nursery in the spring. 

Thinning the crop was hard because there were more healthy plants than I could manage, but if I could have figured out a way to keep them, I would have done it. Now that the process is over, I'm glad I did it because I would have ended up with over a hundred plants this spring instead if 28-34 will have (assuming everything makes it). Moreover, I still have some Annum varieties I want to grow and will start after the first of the year. So after some difficult choices, this is what I ended up with:

Transplants_zpsa362cbad.jpg

The process I used was pretty simple. I took 34, 16 oz Red Solo Cups, heated a metal rod of roughly one-eighth inch in diameter and melted four holes in the bottom of the cups. I filled each cup about two-thirds full with Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil, then holding the plant by the leaves, filled the cup to my desired level. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Once this step was completed for all plants, I gave them a good watering using half strength Vigoro Plant Food (10-10-10) and Epsom salts (1 TBS/gallon). I was going to add fish emulsion to the nutrient "cocktail", but I just gave them a half strength dose Monday and I figured I could use that again in a couple days to give the plants another boost.

Lastly, I moved plants back to the growing area, which is completely dark when the grow lights are off. They sat in the dark for about five hours before the timer turned on the lights and the fan. I know it's early, but everything looks good at this point.

15A6590D-EF1F-45E7-AE0E-05D28D9D78D2_zps6oyina0s.jpg

Two issues I can tell I'm going to have is plant crowding and the distance between the plants and the grow light. Right now, they're not a problem, but as the plants grow, they will touch the light and the foliage canopy will limit the light the plants on the left (plug) side of the lights get.

I can remedy both these problems with a second Home Depot shelf and a third grow light. I wasn't planning on buying more "infrastructure" (aside from the automated drip system I'll need for when I vacation over the holidays for two weeks), but I'm committed to doing this thing right this year, so I'll bite the bullet and fork out the cash.

Ive got the fox farm ocean also, and im pretty sure im going with the solo cup route too.

Bought a shelving unit today (i went with plastic) and bought lights a couple days ago. Im hoping to be up and running by Wednesday.

What heating mat did you use? Thats the last part of my supply list.

Mr Clayton Forrester said:
Ive got the fox farm ocean also, and im pretty sure im going with the solo cup route too.

Bought a shelving unit today (i went with plastic) and bought lights a couple days ago. Im hoping to be up and running by Wednesday.

What heating mat did you use? Thats the last part of my supply list.

I used an Eco Gear mat I purchased on Amazon, but I don't remember the exact vendor. I got this one because it was double sized and fits two standard flats perfectly. I think it was ~$25. Make sure you place a towel or small blanket on the table first, then put the mat on top of that. I also covered the domed trays with a second towel. This top and bottom insulation helps retain the heat.

FE35AF4D-ED40-467B-B033-A16C7084456A_zpsdwvncfil.jpg

Penny said:
Nice set up, love the shelves from HD....and gotta love Dixie cups!! ;)

The problem with the shelves is that while they work perfectly for germinating seeds, they are too small to grow a large number of plants. However, I came up with an idea that I'm going to incorporate later this week.

Each unit comes with three shelves but once the plants begin to grow, there is only room for the top and bottom shelf. Removing the middle shelf provides plenty of room for plant growth and by suspending the light on chains, it can be adjusted as the plants grow.

What I plan on doing is buying a second shelf unit, and only use the top and bottom shelves. This will leave me with two extras shelves that I can connect between the two units essentially making it a two shelf unit, three shelves wide. Of course I'll need a third grow light for the middle, but this will allow me to spread the plants out as well as provide room for vertical growth. For $20, these shelves will work perfectly for the scale of my crop.

jma1787 said:
I used an Eco Gear mat I purchased on Amazon, but I don't remember the exact vendor. I got this one because it was double sized and fits two standard flats perfectly. I think it was ~$25. Make sure you place a towel or small blanket on the table first, then put the mat on top of that. I also covered the domed trays with a second towel. This top and bottom insulation helps retain the heat.

FE35AF4D-ED40-467B-B033-A16C7084456A_zpsdwvncfil.jpg

Perfect! Thank you.

December 15, 2013

Over the past week or so I incorporated the changes I mentioned in my last post. I purchased a second shelving unit from Home Depot and a third Hydrofarm Grow Light. While this picture doesn't show much detail, it does show how I turned two shelving units into three:

BD41EAC9-09F0-4AD5-A61C-0D528D2962C0_zpsqikhaoul.jpg

As you can see, by utilizing the third shelf from each each unit, I was able to create three growing platforms that put more plants under the grow light and provide ample room for vertical growth. I need to add more aluminum foil or mylar reflectors around the sides and back, but I think this will work nicely.

I also purchased most of the materials I need for my automatic drip irrigation system. One of the difficulties I had was reducing the output tube diameter of the pump (5/16") to that of standard drip systems. However, a very helpful clerk at Lowe's helped me figure it out. Aside from a few more stakes to hold the tubing in place and a couple more drip nozzles that I need to find, I'm ready for that project. 

Since I've focused on my setup and and process in most of my posts so far, I though it was time to share a couple plant pictures. Before I do though, let me tell you that since transplanting, I noticed a few plants developing sightly yellow leaves, so a couple days ago, I misted the entire "crop" with an Epsom Salt solution of half a tablespoon to a gallon of water just after the timer turned the lights off. Since then, everything greened up nicely. Then yesterday, I watered with a half dose of Vigoro and fish emulsion for the plants' weekly feeding. As I inspected everything tonight when the timer kicked the lights on, I was pleased.

This first plant picture shows the five plants on the right side of the center unit. From front to back, then left to right they are Bhut Jolokia, Fatalli, Yellow 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate. The Yellow 7 pot is the only "two plant" setting that I have. When I was thinning the seedlings during transplanting, both plants looked exceptionally healthy and since they were growing so close together, I decided to keep both. I usually don't do this, but since it will only be one container, I figured "what the hell...":

631F81E2-1820-4E28-ABDF-75FC0D86DE60_zpsmdo7shzc.jpg

This next picture is a closeup of an Aji Dulce. I've never grown this variety before, but it is supposed to have that distinctive chinense flavor without the heat. I'm growing it to augment recipes calling for habaneros so I can add the flavor of the pepper without the heat so more of my friends can enjoy the dish.

929B3DAC-63CB-4730-83DA-103DD0BC31E6_zpswzl5rqij.jpg

[SIZE=medium]As I stated before, I'm pleased with everything so far, except the yellow rocoto that never sprouted. (Fortunately, I have seven red rocoto that I started during the summer that are doing exceptionally well. I have them in a south facing window and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a nice yield this spring from those seven plants.) Between now and my next update, I'll setup my automated drip system, so that will be the focus of my next post.[/SIZE] Until then...

You're off to an excellent start John, and it's a good thing you don't have to wait as long as I do to plant out because you'd need at least 6 shelves to handle what you have planted... lol! I hope you're bottom-watering your seedlings and allowing the soil to dry a bit between waterings. That encourages the seedlings to grow their roots down to the water source, and the secret to big plants is big roots. Restraint with the nutes at this stage is also paramount... if you do add them, use them at half strength until you plant out. If your soil is high in pH, you may want to think about using shredded Oak leaves or Pine needles to mulch your plants with when you get them in-ground. Water perking through the mulch will mildly acidify the soil, and you can till them under at the end of the season.

I didn't have any luck with germinating Manzanos last season either. If a THP member hadn't taken pity on me and mailed me a seedling I wouldn't have grown one then. They grow and ripen very slowly, and I think that it's a factor in why they're so hard to start... people pick the pods too soon for the seeds to be fully viable. I have some other ideas about additional factors if you're interested, but that's another conversation. Another Texan, stc3248 has had the best results germinating them that I know of, and Devv lives out by San Antonio, so he probably has the best input on the timing of sowing and planting out in your area. You ought to start a conversation with them too. They're both personable gents.

Good luck with your grow in 2014... Cheers!

Very well thought out plan, John.  You have done your homework,
and the results really show it.  I have no doubt you will have a great
grow season this year!

On the pubescens varieties.  They seem to like to be fed, but can be finicky.
They definitely do not like heat.  They grow best in dappled shade or in shade
during the hot par of the day.  My best success with them has come from
overwintering so they start the Spring going full bore, cuz once the summer
heat sets in, they will drop flowers like crazy, but the pods already set will
ripen up.

stickman said:
You're off to an excellent start John, and it's a good thing you don't have to wait as long as I do to plant out because you'd need at least 6 shelves to handle what you have planted... lol! I hope you're bottom-watering your seedlings and allowing the soil to dry a bit between waterings. That encourages the seedlings to grow their roots down to the water source, and the secret to big plants is big roots. Restraint with the nutes at this stage is also paramount... if you do add them, use them at half strength until you plant out. If your soil is high in pH, you may want to think about using shredded Oak leaves or Pine needles to mulch your plants with when you get them in-ground. Water perking through the mulch will mildly acidify the soil, and you can till them under at the end of the season.

I didn't have any luck with germinating Manzanos last season either. If a THP member hadn't taken pity on me and mailed me a seedling I wouldn't have grown one then. They grow and ripen very slowly, and I think that it's a factor in why they're so hard to start... people pick the pods too soon for the seeds to be fully viable. I have some other ideas about additional factors if you're interested, but that's another conversation. Another Texan, stc3248 has had the best results germinating them that I know of, and Devv lives out by San Antonio, so he probably has the best input on the timing of sowing and planting out in your area. You ought to start a conversation with them too. They're both personable gents.

Good luck with your grow in 2014... Cheers!

Thanks for the advice and you're right, an early spring is beneficial for me especially since I haven't even started my annums yet. However, with these long season varieties, I had to get a head start because once summer arrives here in Texas, pod production stops due to heat related blossom drop. I have a few friends that I will give some plants to later on if I need to free up some space.

I appeciate your advice on bottom watering. I hadn't given it much thought, but reflecting back on the crop so far, I'd say that it's been about 50-50 top and bottom watering. For the next few weeks though, it will all be top since I won't be here and that's how I'm going to set up the drip system.

I do use 50% strength of all nutrients at this stage. Last year, I under applied nutrients and my plants suffered. This year, I'm not going to make that mistake again, but i am cautious about going overboard with the fertilizer. I know in my post yesterday I referred to "weekly feeding", but it's really every other week that I apply nutrients. Do you apply anything before setting out or do you wait until then?

I really like the rocoto variety and want the plants that I do have to produce so I'm going to reach out to the guys you mentioned.

Thanks again for your comments and good luck.
PaulG said:
Very well thought out plan, John.  You have done your homework,
and the results really show it.  I have no doubt you will have a great
grow season this year!

On the pubescens varieties.  They seem to like to be fed, but can be finicky.
They definitely do not like heat.  They grow best in dappled shade or in shade
during the hot par of the day.  My best success with them has come from
overwintering so they start the Spring going full bore, cuz once the summer
heat sets in, they will drop flowers like crazy, but the pods already set will
ripen up.

Thanks Paul. I started my rocotos during the summer when my 2013 crop was shaping up to be a dispointment. I knew it was too early to start mostly everything for 2014, but I had read that the pubescens take a very long time to mature so I started some seeds. The plants I kept are in pots and they range in size from 6"-12" in height. I plan to get them outside as soon as it's safe to do so and I alredy have a nice spot on the NE side of my house that gets morning sun and afternoon shade all picked out.

Here's a picture of two of the seven plants I have. I grew them outside until it was too cold to do so and had some aphid trouble so the bottom foilage is a little rough, but I beat back the aphids before bringing them indoors. The the plants have really taken off over the last couple weeks, especially the one on the left. They are all in the same location and get the same treatment, but that plants just grows faster than all the others. I think it grow almost 2" in the last week! If that keeps up, I'm gonna need bigger pots sooner than I thought.

D975C95B-6095-4844-BF47-132E4FA0B654_zps0qkwaz3x.jpg

Back