• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2014 Grow Log - Supers ripening

So my 2012-2013 season has offically come to a close.  All of my plants are now composting with the exception of one plant.  I picked the final 3 pods off of my 7 Pot Brown this weekend.  Potted the mother down to a 3 gallon pot and gave her a haircut.  She's in her new home for the winter.  Crossing my fingers as this is my first time to try overwintering a plant.

2013-11-11%2009.10.15.jpg

2013-11-11%2009.11.46.jpg

I will be back on in a bit to post my grow list for 2014.

There won't be much activity on this glog until mid-late January.  That's when I'll be starting my Chinenses.  

Stay tuned...

Looking good, but I have to ask: How come only one OW plant? You obviously have the tent and lights.

By the way, I've got a few of that brand grow bags new for this year. So far so good for mine although I did notice mold growing on the outside of them if they stay wet. I keep mine dryer now.

Alright, here's the tentative grow list.  I am going a different route than I did the past two years.  Instead of growing in containers, I have found a community garden only 5 minutes away, by car, from my house.  I can get a 10x10 plot for only $25 a year.  The lady that runs it is also letting me use a 5x10 plot as a test plot to test RCW (Ramial Chipped Wood) worked into the soil.  So the test plot will be for mixing RCW into the soil, and the main plot will be with RCW just overlayed on top of the soil.  Here is my list for both beds:

Community Test Plot:
Monster Naga x1 - Judy
Carolina Reaper x1 - Puckerbutt
Mariachi x1 - Jeff Troxel (neighbor down the street)
Big Jim x1 - Can't remember source now
Red Bhut Jolokia x1 - Biscgolf
Orchid x1 - Judy
Huge Bell x1 - Judy
Banana Pepper x1 - Saved seeds from my plant this year
MOA Scotch Bonnet x1 - Jamison
Giant Jalapeno x1 - Judy

Community Plot Main:
White Bhut Jolokia x2 - Judy
Naga Morich x2 - Judy
Monster Naga x1 - Judy
Carolina Reaper x1 - Puckerbutt
Yellow Moruga Scorpion x2 - Saved seeds from this year
7 Pot Burgundy x3 - Judy
7 Pot Brown x2 - Saved seeds from this year
7 Pot Jonah x2 - Seeds from last year
Red Bhut Jolokia x1 - Biscgolf
Chocolate Moruga Scorpion x2 - Junglerain
Brown Moruga Scorpion x2 - Judy
Jimmy Nardelo x2 - Judy
Huge Bell x2 - Judy
Yellow Bell x2 - Grocery store
Banana Pepper x2 - Saved seeds from this year
Gian Jalapeno x2 - Judy
Mariachi x2 - Jeff Troxel (Neighbor down the street)
Orchid x2 - Judy
Black Congo x2 - Judy
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet x1 - Judy
MOA Scotch Bonnet x1 -Jamison
Purple Bell - ???

Jeff H said:
Looking good, but I have to ask: How come only one OW plant? You obviously have the tent and lights.

By the way, I've got a few of that brand grow bags new for this year. So far so good for mine although I did notice mold growing on the outside of them if they stay wet. I keep mine dryer now.

I need the other space for the seedlings I will be starting in January and February.  I've grown in root pouches the past two seasons and I love them.  I've been very satisfied with them.  I'll be putting the 7 Pot Brown mother into a 15 gallon root pouch next year.

BTW, I probably didn't make it clear, but the OW 7 Brown will be the only plant I'm growing in my backyard next year.  The rest will be in the community garden.

any particular reason you went with the shiny foil stuff instead of a thick white plastic?  Depending your light, it can get awfully hot in there using foil reflectant 

megahot said:
Nice list Brian! Wish you the best of success for next yr! :)
Thanks Jon!

Browning said:
any particular reason you went with the shiny foil stuff instead of a thick white plastic?  Depending your light, it can get awfully hot in there using foil reflectant 
It's mylar emergency blankets.  I've used it for the past 2 years and the temp stays around 75.  I'm only using CFLs, so they don't generate much heat.

compmodder26 said:
Thanks Jon!

It's mylar emergency blankets.  I've used it for the past 2 years and the temp stays around 75.  I'm only using CFLs, so they don't generate much heat.
Awesome.  Good luck with the grow.  The OW thing seems to be a lot easier than we make it out to be.  I have some getting light from a south facing window and I'll need to trim then back again before winter is over.  Yours should be fine with that setup

That sounds fantastic, Brian. $25 a year for a little chunk of land to grow on - Awesome! I really like the idea of trying the RCW method. Can you elaborate on how you are going to do that?

Can you really grow 40 plants on a 10x10? If so I will have to add some more strains to my growlist! I wonder how tight they will be after they grow out? Super cool you can rent a area for growing your peppers. Do they have water available on site?

Nigel said:
That sounds fantastic, Brian. $25 a year for a little chunk of land to grow on - Awesome! I really like the idea of trying the RCW method. Can you elaborate on how you are going to do that?
Nigel, I'm basically going to be using Windchicken's (Gary) method.  I can't find the paper he showed me a while back but basically, you mix in RCW in to the top 2 inches of soil.  It needs to sit for a few months before you plant in it otherwise it will tie up Nitrogen.  I'm letting it sit for 6 months in the test plot I'm using.  I'm also adding a 2 inch layer of RCW as mulch to keep out weeds and to continue to replenish the nutrients in the soil as it breaks down.  The idea is that the RCW will provide all the nutrients I need, and I shouldn't need to further fertilize my plants.  We'll see how it goes.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Can you really grow 40 plants on a 10x10? If so I will have to add some more strains to my growlist! I wonder how tight they will be after they grow out? Super cool you can rent a area for growing your peppers. Do they have water available on site?

I'm going the square foot gardening route.  I'm basically dividing the 10x10 into two 4x10 areas with a 2 foot walking path between.  I'll be planting them in a checkerboard pattern so each plant will have 1/2 ft^2 in either direction past their own square to grow uninhibited.  Here's a diagram I have made up:

Community%20Plot.jpg

Chris Joyner planted 1 per square in a 4x4 raised bed this year and had phenomenal results.  I'm hoping that the little bit of extra space I give in my setup will only enhance the yield I'll get next year.

Sorry, forgot to mention about the water onsite.. Yes, they have 4 250 gallon rain barrels.

Your 7 pot Brown looks mighty happy in it's cocoon!
Awesome list and grow plan, Chris Brian- good luck in 2014!

The 7 Pot Brown is one of my favorites, too.  I'm trying to overwinter a couple of them.  How much space is there between your 10'x10' area and adjacent areas?

Sawyer said:
The 7 Pot Brown is one of my favorites, too.  I'm trying to overwinter a couple of them.  How much space is there between your 10'x10' area and adjacent areas?

There's about 3-4 feet between plots, so I should be able to avoid crowding my neighbors.  If the plants look like they will sprawl, I'll just have to resort to pruning them a bit.

I was just thinking about access for yourself, but yeah, I guess sprawl could be a problem, too.  Especially on the scorpion side.  Hopefully.

Sawyer said:
I was just thinking about access for yourself, but yeah, I guess sprawl could be a problem, too.  Especially on the scorpion side.  Hopefully.

Yeah, I'm hoping the 2 foot path I leave in the middle will allow me to treat it like two 4x10 raised beds, in that I won't need to step in the planting area to avoid compaction.

Sorry Brian, I wrote the wrong name after looking at your post
with Chris Joyner's name at the bottom.  

Gads, I can't even remember where I've been today.  
Serial glogging is difficult for us old-timers!

I'll edit those errors, bud, and once again, a thousand pardons.

PaulG said:
Sorry Brian, I wrote the wrong name after looking at your post
with Chris Joyner's name at the bottom.  

Gads, I can't even remember where I've been today.  
Serial glogging is difficult for us old-timers!

I'll edit those errors, bud, and once again, a thousand pardons.

Think nothing of it Paul!  I gave me a nice chuckle.

compmodder26 said:

Think nothing of it Paul!  I gave me a nice chuckle.
Glad to be able to provide a little levity for the evening!

Back