• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Are the makers still buyers?

Ok, so I walking down the aisle of my local Kroger's grocery store getting ready to buy my salsa for the week when I realized, except for tomatoes, I have everything I need to make my own at home but here I stand in front of our meager Salsa section reaching for my El Pinto - Roasted Jalapeno Salsa knowing that I can't do without it... this is not negotiable in my life.
  I guess this question is more for the folks here that make their own and occasionally buy off others here but ...
   Is there a National and/or International brand that you simply can't do without even though you might be able to duplicate it at home because you simply can't do without it ???

...a side note: having gotten the last jar off the shelf and inquiring if they had more in stock in back I was told that they will no longer be selling that particular Salsa (just the roasted one) but will carry the others by El Pinto. The reason being: it wasn't a good seller at the other stores so they pulling it for all stores and discontinuing it altogether. :banghead:
  I was offered a one time chance to purchase some where they would pick up the cost of shipping to the store... I bought 3 cases :drooling: .. time to search other outlets (yes, they sell online too +s/h)

OhioHeat

Yes, Sriracha.

Mrs.Renfros makes some damn good salsas. Both their 'peno and ghost pepper salsas are regulars at my house.

Yes, I am addicted to Renfro's ghost salsa with Juanita's chips (made in Hood River). I almost always have a bottle of Blair's After Death or Melinda's Bih Jolokia on hand too.

I have to smile when I think I have roughly 2000+ dried peppers (6 varieties) and i still have to go out and buy some of these things.

I guess I'm the only one that finds sriracha throughly disgusting, but hey, I'm unique in more than one way. :)

I buy a number of products from other makers. One of my favorites Is Cajun Island.

for the fresh salsa, we pretty much eat our own product, Texas Creek Salsa. 

But for bottled sauces, I usually have about 20 bottles from a number of different companies in the fridge, Sriracha is usually NOT one of the ones I use. 
Red Hawk, HBD, CrazyGood, High River, Lucky Dog, DavezFoodz, Sauce Goddess, Wicked Cactus...even the occasional Defcon ... ( ;) )...and several taste-test type bottles.  The guys like the milder ones, I like 'em a little more hot, so we have a variety on hand most of the time.   

I buy sauce the time - and trade too. I love seeing what other saucemakers do with similar ingredients - variety is the spice of life! I was a hot sauce fan a hell of a lot longer than I was a sauce maker!

:woohoo:

salsalady said:
for the fresh salsa, we pretty much eat our own product, Texas Creek Salsa. 

But for bottled sauces, I usually have about 20 bottles from a number of different companies in the fridge, Sriracha is usually NOT one of the ones I use. 
Red Hawk, HBD, CrazyGood, High River, Lucky Dog, DavezFoodz, Sauce Goddess, Wicked Cactus...even the occasional Defcon ... ( ;) )...and several taste-test type bottles.  The guys like the milder ones, I like 'em a little more hot, so we have a variety on hand most of the time.   
No sriracha love?! ;)  you have a huge selection of very good other ones though so I understand why

Hubby likes Sriracha, me...meh....  I don't care for the fermented taste, or, maybe I prefer other profiles better.  I'll use it if it's the only thing available.   

I probably have 2000 sauces at home, but there are a few that I continue to buy over and over.  Sriracha is one of them.

I'm not a maker but I keep on deck at all times...

Sriracha
Sambal Oelek
Chile garlic sauce
Tabasco Green
Cholula
Pace Picante (med or hot depending on what's on sale, I go through a quart a week)

Not really a maker either but....Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets breaded at my house without cholula in the eggs/buttermilk

LOL "I'm a Cajun me!" I will always have a bottle of original Tabasco and a bottle of Crystal, Trappy's, or Panola hot sauce around. Sriracha
is OK but I can live without it as long as there is my "home sauces" around.

Back