• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Taken down a whole peg

10851964324_3c114c2cca_m.jpg
10851873286_d693dc905a_m.jpg
This was going to be a post about how excited I was to find habaneros at Coles in Australia(never had one fresh before) but after eating one it's about my new found respect for the reviewers eating chilis a million shu's hotter than this.  I ate half since I'd cut it for the photo, knew it might take a while to kick in but wanted to eat it whole so I put the other half in and a minute later it rocked my world, made me hiccup for the first time in ages.  I'm assuming it's a regular red hab, if so I've got a long way to go before I try the Jonahs and  orange scorps I'm trying to grow.

Yeah, you'll hear some chiliheads talking about habaneros like they are no hotter than pepperoncini, but brother, they are HOT! I don't even eat whole habs. I only cook with them! 

Everyone has to start somewhere....

That aside, the whole "who can eat hotter than who" thing is fun, but for me peppers are mostly about flavor. There are any number of things we don't eat alone, whether it's because they're just better when combined with other things or for other reasons. For example, how many of us regularly eat garlic by itself? Probably not many. While there is a long list of things we do eat just as-is, there's an equally long list of things we don't. No shame in reserving chiles for use in cooking or pairing with other things. While I do eat and enjoy fresh chiles, the majority of the ones I grow are dehydrated and ultimately turned into powder, as that is the way I most frequently use them. Find your own personal preference, and don't worry about those who do otherwise - to each his own.

Tony,
 Don't be so sure you didn't get a an a$$ kicker hot Red Hab!
All Red Habs are NOT born equal ! !
They can range from mild to mind blowing heat.  
Flavor from bland to bitter, sweet and fruity to flat and leathery.
Even on the same plant, I have had the heat and flavor intensity differ during the season. 

Do you like the taste of this Hab ?  If so, plant the seeds and use it as a benchmark for the future.
The more chilis you taste, the more favorites you will find...
Many of us are now more interested in flavors and combinations with food than just the raw heat.
Addiction comes quickly.

I don't enjoy eating whole superhots.  I will cut off a healthy chunk of one to eat it and determine what flavor profile the pepper has and what it will go well with, but I have no desire to punish myself by chowing down a whole brainstrain or reaper.

Tony,
Don't be so sure you didn't get a an a$$ kicker hot Red Hab!
All Red Habs are NOT born equal ! !
They can range from mild to mind blowing heat.
Flavor from bland to bitter, sweet and fruity to flat and leathery.
Even on the same plant, I have had the heat and flavor intensity differ during the season.

Do you like the taste of this Hab ? If so, plant the seeds and use it as a benchmark for the future.
The more chilis you taste, the more favorites you will find...
Many of us are now more interested in flavors and combinations with food than just the raw heat.
Addiction comes quickly.

Actually I'm not a big fan of the flavour of these so far - they have that "chemically" taste that some (but not all) habanero hot sauces have. Will definitely try cooking with them though.

I don't enjoy eating whole superhots. I will cut off a healthy chunk of one to eat it and determine what flavor profile the pepper has and what it will go well with, but I have no desire to punish myself by chowing down a whole brainstrain or reaper.

Yep this was a bit like punishment - I thought based on the heat rating of the sauces I've tried and the heatless jalapeños I had last week it would be fine. I was wrong. Do not imitate you tube videos.

Not sure I want to build tolerance but I do enjoy the tears and mouth and stomach warmth of a certain level of heat and it keeps taking hotter food to get that. I also like new flavours but maybe a sliver will do next time

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of hab flavor - most of them tend to leave an ammonia-like aftertaste in the mouth. Not pleasant at all. But others seem to love them, though you can't know which you will be until you try.

Actually I'm not a big fan of the flavour of these so far - they have that "chemically" taste that some (but not all) habanero . . .

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of hab flavor - most of them tend to leave an ammonia-like aftertaste in the mouth. Not pleasant at all. But others seem to love them, though you can't know which you will be until you try.

I've named it "the Chinense skunk": aside from heat, it's, to me, just the dominant component shown by the datils, fataliis, and habaneros produced in my backyard this year.  Just tonight at an impromtu sauce-tasting, I offered my Chinense plants to a neighbour lady who's not put off one bit by the C. skunk.  (She was tasting blends muted a bit by ingredients such as fresh coconut and pineapple, though.)  Anyway, share the heat, and there'll be more dirt and space here for more annuums, baccatums, and other newfound deliciousness.

I prefer to dry my superhots for powders and dehydrating - when they start coming in I cant keep up and like geeme said above adding them in cooking or pairing - dont worry about everyone else and enjoy what you came to this site for  

swellcat said:

I've named it "the Chinense skunk": aside from heat, it's, to me, just the dominant component shown by the datils, fataliis, and habaneros produced in my backyard this year.  Just tonight at an impromtu sauce-tasting, I offered my Chinense plants to a neighbour lady who's not put off one bit by the C. skunk.  (She was tasting blends muted a bit by ingredients such as fresh coconut and pineapple, though.)  Anyway, share the heat, and there'll be more dirt and space here for more annuums, baccatums, and other newfound deliciousness.

Good name for it.
There is a reason that there are no fataliis, orange or red habs ('cept paper lanterns), nor brainstrains in my grow log this coming year. They didn't make the cut of peppers that taste good to me. Freed up a bunch of room in the garden.

My sister-in-law, however, took every fatalii I could send her way. :crazy:

Ah, but here we diverge, Jeff. I love fatalii, but have found (for me, at least) it goes better with things like chicken, fish, and pork. Not so much with beef or chocolate, but is excellent candied. Fatalii and rosemary are a perfect compliment to each other, and I'll slap those along with garlic, sea salt, and olive oil, on a pork tenderloin and roast it on a regular basis. Taste is so subjective.

Some habs have a almost fruity flavor that I like and they go well with a lot of different foods I very seldom eat a fresh hot pepper whole, if only to watch someone else burn up, had to have some surgery this year and was put on a no hot pepper diet till I'm completly healed up Super hots are fine, but many are so hot that you miss out on the flavor, I have several mild peppers that I like a lot more. Most of my super and ultra hots are deseeded and dried then powdered, I loose some of the heat but I get a little more flavor from them that way and I can messure the amount of heat I want. 

I prefer to dry my superhots for powders and dehydrating - when they start coming in I cant keep up and like geeme said above adding them in cooking or pairing - dont worry about everyone else and enjoy what you came to this site for

I came here because I accidentally broke my tongue by pouring too much Dave's Ghost sauce on some beans and rice and figured I might as well become a nutter. I'm very new to this, have yet to get in my first crop, but already dreaming of jams and sauces and powders when I do.
Some habs have a almost fruity flavor that I like and they go well with a lot of different foods I very seldom eat a fresh hot pepper whole, if only to watch someone else burn up, had to have some surgery this year and was put on a no hot pepper diet till I'm completly healed up .

I have some Yucatan Sunshine and Byron Bay habanero sauces I quite like that don't have that taste. The only plant that's anywhere near ready for fruiting is a hab I got already half grown, I'm hoping it's a different variety but if not I'll cook with it.

I'm going under the knife for a hernia soon, is a low spice diet standard?

Years ago, I ate a MINI habanero that grew on my otherwise normal plant. 
You know the ones, it was a little mutant runt, but it was ripe....and tiny.

I ate the whole thing. 

Then I told Sum, "I just ate a whole habanero, bitch...your turn!!!"

Fun times, the early days! 

Hi Tony I don't know about a hernia operation i don't think that eating spicy foods would cause any problems but having a tumer removed from your colon and later having some small tumers removed from your liver and doing radiation and chemo, the doctors frown if you don't follow their strict idea of what they call a blended diet. 5 months of that and I was ready to kill a cow and eat it raw.
I did like the high protien/ Berry smoothies twice to three times a day, but not the green vegetable smoothy as it just was to grassy lawn fravored, but they did the trick.
Hot spicy foods was a big no and eating anything hotter than a mild jalapeno was a even bigger no, Having the surgery did help me figure out why I hurt so bad when I ate anything and hot peppers were like dropping a hot coal into my stomach and colon.
Since its going into winter I might go back to drinking my Smoothies although they cost a lot more than a plain icecream and fruit smoothy. I lost almost twent pounds but already I'm gaining back some of the wieght I lost.
Sorry i didn't meen to hijack your post as I got way off topic.

Back