May start smoking next year.

Should I go with Marlboro, Camel or weed? lol

But seriously, can y'all guide me to the most basic directions possible for smoking chiles?
I just can't seem to keep them lit. lol (another attempt at humor but seriously I do want to learn about smoking chiles)

Smoke em as low-temp as possible. You don't wanna cook them, just flavor them. I use pecan and cherry wood for about 3 hours, then dehydrate, and grind to powder. My powder smells & tastes like bacon. No more unsmoked powders for my family.

For peppers I suggest a smoker with temp regulation because you want to cold smoke. Cold smoking is steady temps at between 68 and 86F. Higher temps will cook the peppers. Like when you smoke ribs, they are cooked. But when you cold smoke cheese it is not cooked. It is smoked. You'll want to smoke-dry which is cold smoking until dehydrated (think ancho/chipotle) and can take days. You can also use a dehydrator and the smoker as a combo. Dehydrate first, then cold smoke. However the taste is not the same because there is no water in the peppers. You can also cold smoke for a good day, and then pop in the dehydrator. Works better. Just not regular smoking (cooking) unless you are making something like poppers.

Larger thicker ones i slice lengthwise, thinner smaller i leave whole. I go about 4 hours at 150 which is about the lowest i can run my Akorn without it going out. Then is about 2 or so days in the dehydrator at 95.

Turn out pretty good but colder is better.
theres ways to turn your smoker into a cold smoker for like $10, google it. You need a soldering iron and a soup can….

I like to smoke em slow and low. I try not to let the smoker get above 110. Lots of smoke!! My favorites are pecan and apple. Lower temps hold the color a little better and really take the smoke in. I smoke until dry avoiding the dehydrator at all cost. I always slice in half, and constantly check on them after a while making sure they don't crisp up at all. All pods (even the same strain) will dry at a different pace. As soon as I notice they are dry I take em out and store in mason jars. Sometimes it takes about 12 hours and sometimes it takes a whole day.

Back