• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SadisticPepper's (aka Elcap1999's) 2013/2014/2015 Oceanside glog update

Unfortunately, about half of the trays I had set up got shriveled up on account of a nasty wind storm drying them out. Oddly enough all the plants I had potted up already made it through without a problem, so I've spent the last couple of days redoing the ones I had seeds for, and the ones I didn't I just swapped them out with ones I recently got from PepperLover. Here's a couple pics:

Here's the trays I set out yesterday and today
IMG_5996-vi.jpg

On the left (going top to bottom, I have Red Brain strains, Red Morugas and Yellow Morugas. The middle group is Chocolate Morugas, Red Bhuts and White Bhuts, and on the right is Purple Bhuts on one half, and orange bhuts on the other half of the first tray, and Red Butch T's on the 2nd tray

Here's a little color coded legend I put together to keep them all straight. The color for the chocolate moruga didn't quite come out too well in the printer.
IMG_5997-vi.jpg

Nice!! Its too bad that you lost some, but good that you could replace them right away ;) ....good luck with them ;) . And wow are you ever growing some hot ones in there!! :fireball:  :fireball:  :fireball:

Thanks! I was really bummed out too because I had some seedlings that were almost ready to be put into nursery pots, and the wind basically dehydrated them all overnight. I'm glad I had potted up a little over 30 already!

And in a way, it was rather serendipitous, since it allowed me to do some of the seeds I recently got from PepperLover, aka Judy. So with a little bit of time and some TLC, these should be popping out of the pellets before Christmas, and I should be able to put them in soil some time around the New Year...

Penny said:
That's great, hope they do well this time around, keep posting pics so we can see the updates :dance:

PepperLover said:
wonderful looking project there 
keep up the good work

thank you for sharing 

I'll definitely keep updating as needed :) And I'm hoping before too long I can begin to sell some of these bad boys

Looks like you have a nice set up! I'm guessing you are starting them indoors and then moving them outside? What is the growing season like there? I'm planning on moving to Florida in a year or two for graduate school and I have been wondering what it's gonna be like..

Pepperjack91 said:
Looks like you have a nice set up! I'm guessing you are starting them indoors and then moving them outside? What is the growing season like there? I'm planning on moving to Florida in a year or two for graduate school and I have been wondering what it's gonna be like..

The key is where in Florida. Up near Orlando and Ocala, during the winter months, frost and cooler temps (some nights too cool for peppers) aren't uncommon, so you may wanna be careful. Further south though, from about Fort Pierce south, the weather is much more condisive to growing them year round. Granted, there may be a frost day, but in all the years I've lived here (on and off since 1994), I only recall 1, maybe 2 nights where it got cold enough for frost. And closer to the ocean is better because you get the seabreeze, which helps moderate temperatures, as well as bring in saltier air, which only certain (mostly beneficial) insects like. Out behind my backyard fence, there's this little natural area and I've seen a number of bees take their fill of flowers, so I'm sure they'll have no problem pollenating my pepper's flowers in a few months.

And the patio area I've been using is a screened patio, so they get the benefit of being outdoors, and they do get shaded sun, so they don't get burned from it.

Tampa should be a good area to grow them. May not hurt to go visit sicman, who's in the Tampa area as I recall, and he's been growing Butch T's for a while!

Sorry to read about the babies dying.

They're so delicate for the first week or so, I've lost a few here too.

I use the pellets too, as soon as the seedlings stand up I cut off the material and pot them, watering the soil before putting the plug in. Then they go outside weather permitting.

Keep it green!

Well, it's official! At least a month a head of schedule, and barely two months after they first germinated, my first potted plants here in the house (7Pot Jonah's) are beginning to push up flowers. They're too small to photograph just yet, but I noticed them as I was watering them a little bit ago. I couldn't be more stoked, especially given how early the flowers are coming, scarcely two months after these guys were seeds. :)

Well, between the CalMag incident and a severe cold snap a couple days later, the potted plants I had outside died rather unceremoniously. Oddle enough, the seedlings in the trays pictured above all survived without a hitch. So yesterday, the tallest Yellow and Red Morugas got potted up un 5 gallon pots, and I've got several Bhuts and Red Butch T's on deck and ready for potting in the next couple weeks. I'll probably wait until right after New Years to finish it all up, and probably get some more of the 5-gallon nursery pots.

elcap1999 said:
Well, between the CalMag incident and a severe cold snap a couple days later, the potted plants I had outside died rather unceremoniously. Oddle enough, the seedlings in the trays pictured above all survived without a hitch. So yesterday, the tallest Yellow and Red Morugas got potted up un 5 gallon pots, and I've got several Bhuts and Red Butch T's on deck and ready for potting in the next couple weeks. I'll probably wait until right after New Years to finish it all up, and probably get some more of the 5-gallon nursery pots.

a
Nice how about some pics Paul? My Glog is going to be started this weekend. Going be BIG Grow 2014.

Pics later :)

And like I said, some of the losses were partially my fault with an overapplication of CalMag (it did kinda reek of a mouthwash-like smell when I opened it, which was the first clue that maybe something was up) and a freak cold snap that brought overnight temperatures into the low 40's for a single night taking the rest out. Luckily, the temps as of late are much more condusive to growing outside. The temps are in the upper 70's/low 80's for highs, and 70's upper 60's for nighttime lows.

elcap1999 said:
Pics later :)

And like I said, some of the losses were partially my fault with an overapplication of CalMag (it did kinda reek of a mouthwash-like smell when I opened it, which was the first clue that maybe something was up) and a freak cold snap that brought overnight temperatures into the low 40's for a single night taking the rest out. Luckily, the temps as of late are much more condusive to growing outside. The temps are in the upper 70's/low 80's for highs, and 70's upper 60's for nighttime lows.
You're doing much better temp wise than us here in Tejas, unseasonably cold. Had 6 or 7 days in the 26-28° range. I use calmag too, I only use it once they are in the dirt, as most of my grow is a garden plant. I use half doses and apply once or twice a week when I'm applying ferts.

That is an amazing start elcap. How many seedlings do you plant per plant? Like if you want two plants of a specific variety how many seeds will you start? Just curious as to how all the math works out.

I bet the long grow season in FL is nice. Do you have to deal with copious bugs though? Our mild winter in Atlanta last year resulted in far more cabbage worms and earwigs than normal. Earwigs wouldn't normally be a problem but they do love to chomp on new pepper leaves.

Back