• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The big badass pasta thread

I've seen that a pasta throwdown has been done. And i've seen beautiful and interesting things!
So... Why not a pasta thread?
Pasta is, of course, my main lunch dish. Simple, cheap, good and recommended form dietist. What do you need more? Well if you could eat 200g of it with an heavy ragù and still ok with dietist, but nothing is perfect! :D
There's an huge amount of types (shapes, ingredients, if it's fresh or dry, whith or without eggs, etc) that can be used with another huge amount of toppings (tomato, salsa, ragù, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, vegetables, etc... Even in soup!). In my opinion there are little combinations that don't make good use of hot peppers...

Here a nice simple recipe, Spaghetti with anchovies, capers and hot pepper.
There are some very basic and empirical cooking tips if someone is new to pasta...

Here another simple recipe (many thanks to Umberm from pepperfriends.com forum for the excellent recipe and the permission to use it here!):

Pasta pangrattato e peperoncino! Pasta with grated bread and hot pepper!

Somewhat remembers pasta "aglio, olio, peperoncino" (garlic, oil, hot pepper)...
Note that this is a base, you can add the spices you like better with bread when roasting it, or also in the oil...
But even in this very simple form it's very good!

Ingredients:
  • pasta (long as spaghetti or short as macaroni at you discretion)
  • toasted breadcrumbs
  • evo oil
  • hot peppers
  • water
  • cooking salt (to cook pasta on water)
  • spices (optional and not used here)
iPQRxKlVhWWD0.jpg

I used 2 peperocini calabresi.

Preparing ingredients:

cut finely peppers and put in evo oil:
iyUKQtjjMOoom.jpg

if you can keep peppers in oil  for some hours is better, anyway it's good if it's done only during pasta cooking time too...
Short moment of contemplation, this is my everyday topping for pasta!

Now you can start to heat water to cook pasta...

You need to toast breadcrumbs in a pan:
ibwhcMrb8JswXB.jpg

You need to cook until it becomes darker for some minutes like that:

ibgsubJZ6aIe3n.jpg

Very important: you must stir this nearly continuously to prevent burning!

Then, you strain pasta and stir with pepper/oil and bread.
If you want you can pan fry adding other oil to amalgamate it better. I didn't.

Here when it's ready:
iqX3fgdtuK9Ne.jpg

Share recipes and post pics! :D

Me too......great thread to start, especially for those of us who live in the cold area's, so they'll be good recipes in the winter.

Excellent, be sure to post some pics, and while I'm not a seafood lover, they do make some dishes amazing.

Very nice and simple pasta dish. I like it.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread now, but will keep it in mind if I ever get creative with pasta.

So..... rename this thread, please. I mean, what is "generic" about your cooking? "Generic pasta" sounds rather bland, to me. Let's see..... maybe "Pasta Fantastico"?  ;)

Sto sbavando già. Faccio un grande alfredo fettuccine, e una ancora migliore pasta di proiettile. Non sai come dirlo in italiano. Ma la mia famiglia ha chiamato gu-a-till.

Does it have to be generic pasta?

generic_pasta.jpg

I'm going to gain 10 pounds just reading this thread!  Thanks for starting it, Essegi. 

Let the Pasta Begin!

Thanks to all! So i hope to see your recipes! :D

@geeme and THP: with "generic" i meant for all types of pasta. Is better this new name?  :dance: 
JayT said:
Great idea for a thread.  I will be posting.
Waiting for that! :D

Penny said:
Me too......great thread to start, especially for those of us who live in the cold area's, so they'll be good recipes in the winter.
Good for all seasons! Pasta "alla carbonara" or "al ragù" is good for winter. In summer someone likes "pasta fredda", i'm not a big fan of it...

Jeff H said:
I have nothing to contribute to this thread now, but will keep it in mind if I ever get creative with pasta.
No problem, when you feel confident post some creative recipes!

SL3 said:
Sto sbavando già. Faccio un grande alfredo fettuccine, e una ancora migliore pasta di proiettile. Non sai come dirlo in italiano. Ma la mia famiglia ha chiamato gu-a-till.
Thanks! I don't undertstand pasta di "proiettile" (proiettile=bullet) and "gu-a-till". ;)

maanmaan said:
you know i like my pasta plates essegi, looks great,cant wait to try them
Of course, simple bhut fettuccine ftw! :D

salsalady said:
I'm going to gain 10 pounds just reading this thread!
Used with moderation and without heavy toppings pasta is good for diet. ;)

Essegi said:
@geeme and THP: with "generic" i meant for all types of pasta. Is better this new name?  :dance: 

Yes it is! Didn't even see geeme mentioned it.

We already have General Chicken, don't need Generic Pasta! :lol:

:clap: for the new name!  :lol:

Great thread!!..... this is maybe my favourite pasta recipe in recent times.... this one i made again a week or two ago.... addictive as hell :fireball:

Giouvetsi

Ingredients:

- 4 lamb shanks (1kg give or take)
- 1 medium-large onion
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 bull horn peppers
- 3 finger red chillies
- 3-4 birds eye chillies ...(or any hot chilli/quantity of your choice)
- Sprig of rosemary (chopped)
- Sprig of thyme (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of butter beans (drained)
- Passata
- 500gr Risoni/Orzo rice shaped pasta.... (shop was out last time i made this used a different shape of pasta)
- Olive oil
- Water
- Salt & pepper

cfk4.jpg

Method:

- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C

- Season the lamb shanks and over a medium-high heat seal in a pan/pot then set aside.
- In the same pan reduce heat to medium, add a little more olive oil (if needed) and add onion and carrot.
- When onions begin turning transluescent, add all chillies, garlic, rosemary, thyme and continue to sweat them down (take your time)
- Add 3 cups of passata and one cup of water (salt to taste), then return shanks to pot (add more water and/or passata to cover shanks if necessary)
- Bring to boil, put lid on pot and put in the oven, reduce oven to 160C.
- Leave in oven for one and a half hours, remove, stir in  pasta and beans
- With lid on return pot to oven for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from oven, set aside and enjoy when ready.

@THP and salsalady: glad you like it, i'm not good at naming things! :D

Tinnie said:
Giouvetsi
Oh, nice recipe! I usually don't use oven to cook pasta (more for something like pasticcio, pasta pasticciata, some kind of lasagna... And not me but my parents...), this seems very tasty, i like a lot lamb!

SL3 said:
When I was a kid we made are own pasta. The one I always liked the most was the one we rolled by hand and cut in tiny "bullets". Us kids always called it "bullets", But later when we got older we would go to the Italian deli we would ask for fresh "Goo-a-til". Not sure how that's written in Italian. But I see in Tinnie's bowl those little white egg shaped pastas look similar (I think that is the 500 gr rice shaped pasta?), but we made pasta that looked like that just about a 1/4 inch longer. It was tender fresh and really complemented the sauce. Much more richer and filling than most the other pastas we made. Either way Essigi when you write I can smell grandmas kitchen! Please don't stop, your bringing the Italiano back out of me!

SL3 said:
When I was a kid we made are own pasta. The one I always liked the most was the one we rolled by hand and cut in tiny "bullets". Us kids always called it "bullets", But later when we got older we would go to the Italian deli we would ask for fresh "Goo-a-til". Not sure how that's written in Italian. But I see in Tinnie's bowl those little white egg shaped pastas look similar (I think that is the 500 gr rice shaped pasta?), but we made pasta that looked like that just about a 1/4 inch longer. It was tender fresh and really complemented the sauce. Much more richer and filling than most the other pastas we made. Either way Essigi when you write I can smell grandmas kitchen! Please don't stop, your bringing the Italiano back out of me!
Eh eh, that's hard to figure out! I was thinking about "risoni" for rice (riso=rice, -one=big, risoni= big rices), but surely there are similar shapes, or even equal, with other names... Many big differences from regional language and even more in culinary. And you can find differences even from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example pasta i used in first post is called "elicoidali". Other times you find it as "tortiglioni". Other times as "rigatoni". Maybe a food scholar could tell if they are different things (checked wikipedia, it says that rigatoni has longitudinal groovings and tortiglioni in spiral forms... I wouldn't bet all manufacturers respect this)... Maccheroni group btw...

This is a nice instrument to house make pasta, torchio:
Torchio1.jpg
9+pasta+col+torchio+piastre.JPG

My grandma, and maybe even his mother, had an old one with many of these rounds to shape pasta. In that time surely they put it to good use. My uncle (the ex pizza maker) maybe has it now...

geeme said:
Kudos on the new thread name!  :party:
:D

Back