• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

GMO - yes or "hell no" ?? and why?

Yes.  I have no problem with it.  I work in a lab, Im very familiar with what is done to produce GMOs, as well as the strict regualtions and oversight with it.  For the most part those who do not like it usually have listened to some fear mongering from hippies and have not read up on any unbiased literature behind the science....no offense.

And as a side note....read up on golden rice, what it is, why it was produced, and the benefits that it provides.

I vote yes along with the mainstream scientific consensus including the WHO. I probably won't be the first to eat a glow in the dark carrot but so far GM's have been at least as safe as traditionally grown crops.

I probably would try glow in the dark green hot sauce as the coolness would outweigh the risk

Jeff H said:

You must not ever eat corn. Interesting. 

Exactly, most of the corn produced for human consumption comes from strains genetically modified to protect against the european corn borer.  Then theres the banana blight....  You could even expand this to genetic modification for medicines.  Insulin for one is produced by genetically modified bacteria....as is growth hormone, etc.

Genetically Modified CORN

crap_2.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
NO THANKS I DON'T WANT TO EAT FECES AND E. COLI even if you can change it into a sugar substitute.

See link.
 its disingenuous at the very least to call ecoli metabolites feces...

do you drink booze? by the same logic alcohol is feces. idk about you but from time to time i binge hard core on some feces.

you should read about industrial microbiology and biochemical engineering. personally i find this area to be most fascinating.

microbes now days produce A metric shit ton of super valuable precursers to super valuable drugs and chemical compounds. i think vitimin C is produced in part by an e coli strain now. ive even seen papers suggesting that yeast could be modified to produce precursers of cocaine in submerged culture.

impending_bending said:
I didn't mean to start any wars here, just wanted some opinions, to which each is entitled his own...

Definitely.  I would never force a GMO on anyone, its their right to eat or not to eat it.  I just feel that its much easier to scare someone away from something than to convince them of the benefits. 

The way I see it, genetic modification is essentially no different than what nature has been doing for eons...we just do it quicker.  ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
NO THANKS I DON'T WANT TO EAT FECES AND E. COLI even if you can change it into a sugar substitute.

See link.
Drink diet colas?

http://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/a-killer-in-your-fridge-sweet-poison-a-must-read/

My brother used to work in a Lab, and My college studies was in Horticulture, as well as some genetic classes, and I am trying to go Self efficient as I can by grow or raise my own food.. I am not there but I am trying to stay away 100% from GMO's and Monstanto!!!!   

I can see the issue from plenty of perspectives - good and bad.

There is certainly potential in the science - to me there is no doubt that - but so long as greed (i.e. companies that get to "own the rights" to life, purely for profit) is a ruling factor the actual positive of the science, and the ability to be responsible with the technology, is greatly over-shadowed and hindered. Profit demands haste, and haste makes demands. And when it comes to the science of life itself - an area that needs careful patience and time, plenty of time (as I'm sure we all experience in our growing efforts lol) - haste and demand are essentially the opposite of a healthy environment and a bane on scientists.

Essentially, the biggest issue with them isn't -really- them, but rather greedy & reckless people.. which tends to be the core matter of so many issues.. In the case of GMO's, that happens to be corporations that have gotten away with having rather obscene amounts of power & control over both market & government.

That's my opinion. *nod*

Thanks for the opinions folks.
My only concern with GMOs is the potential for contamination of seed. Regardless of how you see it, I think most of us can agree it is good to keep the "classic" versions, if you will, around for posterity and "just in case" (kinda like backing up your hard disc). With the engineering of crops specifically for proliferation, it may get harder to do this...
Other than that, I'd love to see an 8-foot-tall ghost pepper! :)

One of the big problems is companies know it is a hot button issue so they hide them. This makes the GMOs look even more evil. Pepsico just settled a class action for their Naked Juice. It was not all-natural and pure juice. It had GMO ingreds. People were outraged.

When the big bad corporations hide something... it's not good for you guys that support them.

HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup)... that is tainted for life, no going back. An obesity study 20 or so years ago that was found to be wrong.

The Hot Pepper said:
One of the big problems is companies know it is a hot button issue so they hide them. This makes the GMOs look even more evil. Pepsico just settled a class action for their Naked Juice. It was not all-natural and pure juice. It had GMO ingreds. People were outraged.

When the big bad corporations hide something... it's not good for you guys that support them.

HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup)... that is tainted for life, no going back. An obesity study 20 or so years ago that was found to be wrong.
Excellent points. Its easy for something to get a bad image and like you said, there is no going back. Well, not for a long time at least. I suppose we're starting to repair the damage done by "Reefer Madness" and the like.
Also, you should append a signature to match your profile pic. "Oh yeeaahhh!!!!"

LOL nm just saw the fine print

Back