• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds lights and seedlings...

I'm a new grower... and I'm getting really excited.  I've got my seeds on the way, i've got a 50 pod Root Shooters tray ready to go, and heating mat ready. I've been reading and researching like crazy, but I'm confused on one part:

It seems as though there are as many ways to get the seeds started as there are colors in the rainbow, whether to soak them, keep them on a paper towel, etc.  my question concerns the next step.

I put them in the root shooter, with something over them like a plastic dome or plastic wrap to keep the moisture in... at this point i don't have them under the lights... is that correct?

Once they start to emerge from the dirt, as I understand it I need to get them under the lights... here's the question.  i'm going to put a seed in all 50 pods of the root shooter... i can't imagine that all 50, even if they were of the same pepper type would break the dirt at the same time.. what do i do?  do i pull the pods that begin to sprout and put them in a different container under the lights?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can leave them all together and just turn on the lights when you see the first one. Even if you put the light on before the show, it won't hurt most of the time. I use hydro to start, and avoiding light before the show holds off the algae for a bit longer, but I turn them on as soon as I see the first one.

Right but.... you do want the sprouted ones out of the humidity zone pretty soon after they emerge. Id pull them out and put them under the lights, gently at first, let them get used to the light from a slight distance for a few days.

Im not sure what the tray looks like but you may need to seperate individual cells.

PrimeTime said:
Right but.... you do want the sprouted ones out of the humidity zone pretty soon after they emerge. Id pull them out and put them under the lights, gently at first, let them get used to the light from a slight distance for a few days.

Im not sure what the tray looks like but you may need to seperate individual cells.
Why take them out of the humidity? damping off?

Mine go in an aerogarden starter.
Set it, forget it.
No heating, no soaking first, no humidity domes, lights set to automatic, 1/4 normal mix of ferts.

Pull the plugs out for planting when ready, H2O2 for mold or algae if needed.

Just to say---they want to grow. Most will do so with little help, and whatever method works for you---works.

Over attention prolly kills as many plants as all other resons combined.

I use a 2x4 seedling mat heat and 4 32 cell trays with covers and 2 t8 lights. After they pop lids off and business as usual and under a 1000 watt hid. I rotate seedlings in and out every 4 weeks. I use to use rapid rooters but it got expensice since I needed 1,000. I would use a seedling mat it help get em going faster.
Seedling1_zpsb6daedef.jpg

Back