• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Starting a new batch of fermented hot sauce. With a centrifugal juicer!

Hey all!

I bought a juice centrifuge a few months ago. It's been in a cabinet since i bought it. Today was the glorious day where I realized what they are really for! Making hot sauce.

I go the regular ingredients. Habanero, onions, carrots, garlic, pickling salt.
fXu7zqdl.jpg

Beautiful!

sixVzfYl.jpg

Some of them were pretty gnarly.

yaZ5e2xl.jpg

I'm in tears at this part. Both from the beauty of the machine, and from all the capsaicin in the air!

HzvksF4l.jpg

And this is what gets left behind! Almost completely dried out. Not much heat or flavor left (I had to taste it).

I poured my habanero juice into my jar and put the seeds and fiber left for the fermentation process. Not sure if necessary, but it felt better. Next time, I'll probably skip that.
Then I proceeded with the garlic and onions. If you think chopping onions is nasty on the eyes, you should try this! Finally, in goes the carrots.

OHO82n6l.jpg

Finished! Just waiting for it to start fermenting now :) I've tasted it, and it's delicious. 

I'll probably let it ride for 25 days. The fermentation should finish somewhere around day 20-22, leaving me with some headroom with my holiday gifts ;)

Have fun!
/Philip

Back