• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So I started a worm composting bin. Quick Q:

So the story goes:

I was planning to buy some worms, decided against it in favour of just buying some pure castings. $1/ litre. I asked the guy for 20 and he said he'd hook me up for $15. Sweet deals I'm in.

So he gets to my place and says I only have to give him $5 for it because it's not fully dried and processed because it's been cold and he has it in the garage. Score! I insisted he also take a jar of hot cherry-bourbon-red hab sauce.

Anyway, took the box down to try to figure out how to process it myself and the thing was FULL 'O WORMS! (babies though) So I picked out a ton, probably about 400ish, all only a 1/4" to an 1", and set 'em up in a mini bin. In the bin I put a layer of the castings and in one corner some worm dinner under some damp shredded newspaper. Good to go on that front.

My Question:::::

It's been about a week and a few seeds have popped (I think tomato seeds) and the roots are covered in what looks like it might be mycorrizal fungus. Could these castings be loaded with these beneficial symbiotic fungi and bacteria already? I have some myco on order but I'm wondering if I even need it?

Either way it was a great score. I got a ton of baby worms and about 1/2 litre of pure castings for each seedling I'm hoping will grow... all for $5. Can't beat that!

I wish we could get it for $5 up here. It's (from what I've been able to source) around $30 a bag/ cubic ft/ 30 litres... brutal. I do alright but my girl would kill me if I bought 15 bags of worm poo for $450!

I'll be making my own for tea methinks, although I may need to pick up one more load from this guy for the pot up when I take the plants out for the summer. I'd like to try for at least a couple L for each of 40ish pots.

I read somewhere recently that the bagged stuff is sterilized (?), not sure if that's true or not but other than the cost difference it was my main reason for sourcing a home-grown supply. Oh, and my other thought with regards to the bagged over the counter stuff was what they were feeding the worms? I asked the guy I got this stuff from and he said his is straight kitchen scraps... but who knows. This was why I considered making my own. I'll probably even throw a few worms in my pots to work through the other composts in my upcoming mixes.

Back