• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating in Humidity domes within a grow tent.

Hey guys will im planning on germinating my 7pot Jonah seeds in a seed tray,humidity dome with a heat mat underneath as well as all of this set up beneath a t5 flourecent grow light
within a Secret Jardin dr90t this is a twin model with the top parcel being intended for such uses. I was wondering if i would be needing to have air flow going during the germination phase? ie. such as my centrifuge fan blowing in fresh air to the parcel. Any and all input would be appreciated.

-Thanks guys.

Thats what brings in the fresh air from outside. It's a centrifugal inline fan. 4" 144 cfm. It to the larger parcel and up to the top one where the seed propogation takes place.
Would I need to bring in fresh air for them or just leave as is with the little vents in the dome open? Also should I close or open the parcel door?

7potquezada said:
Thats what brings in the fresh air from outside. It's a centrifugal inline fan. 4" 144 cfm.
Oh that makes more sense haha, that's not the same as a centrifuge.
My main concern would be cooling. Check the temps with no ventilation. Do you know how hot it gets?

I've never used ventilation to germinate.

I simply use regular Jiffy humidomes in one of those clear mini greenhouse/tents with 3 or 5 tier shelves. On the bottom shelf I have a par 20 light fixture for heat with no heat pad at all. Keeps the soil right at 85 degrees. I've never used ventilation other than when I open it up to check on things once or twice a day.

I should mention that as soon as they sprout I throw them under a fluorescent fixture in the open air to prevent dampening off. My plants get no babying :)

@impending: yeah I've given it a run with the lights, heat mat and the germination parcel closed to get a reading and everything seems up to par. Just was concerned about needing ventilation or not during the germination phase. Would you guys recommend the chamomile tea soak for seeds prior to sowing?

Ventilation is not needed but may be useful to avoid overheat (you can simply leave the tent open in alternative). I never pre-soak seeds but everyone has his method so try and learn what works best for you.

Good luck

Datil

7potquezada said:
@impending: yeah I've given it a run with the lights, heat mat and the germination parcel closed to get a reading and everything seems up to par. Just was concerned about needing ventilation or not during the germination phase. Would you guys recommend the chamomile tea soak for seeds prior to sowing?
If you're looking to soak them, look into GA3, sulfuric acid, or potassium hydroxide (only do the last two if your seeds have been extensively dried and need scarification).

@ impending bending: Sweet sounds real effective I looked up the GA3. are any of those organic though? trying to stay away from chemicals.

7potquezada said:
@ impending bending: Sweet sounds real effective I looked up the GA3. are any of those organic though? trying to stay away from chemicals.
All the acid and hydroxide do is break down the casing on the seed, then you wash them off and they are gone. You don't need to worry about those at all (except when using them, take proper precautions). It depends on your definition of "organic" for the GA3 but in any case I don't know enough about that one to comment with much confidence and I don't want to mislead you...

Dude! Where do you find this stuff. Super useful information and highly informative. More people should read this. It's a killer argument. lol Almost made me want to stop wearing shoes with plastic soles haha.

Back