• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best source for perlite

Hi all. This is probably a very noobish question, but I'm looking for a good source for some perlite to add to the potting mix I'm using for my plants. All I can find locally is Miracle Grow perlite that has their own ferts mixed in, but would prefer just straight perlite with no added ferts. I've tried looking online but as a fairly new grower I'm confused by the different grades and prices. Any help for a grower looking for something to help with aeration and drainage is appreciated.

Might have to take a drive to one of the Lowes or Home Depot's outside of Lafayette and check them out. The one's close by only ever seem to have the Miracle Grow and nothing else. Thanks for the info!

Yep Lowe's and HD around here only sell MG perlite with fertilizer added in. My local hydro shop sells a 4 cubic foot bag of super coarse perlite for $35. That's the best deal I've seen around here.
If you have a hydro shop nearby, I would give it a try.

compmodder26 said:
Yep Lowe's and HD around here only sell MG perlite with fertilizer added in. My local hydro shop sells a 4 cubic foot bag of super coarse perlite for $35. That's the best deal I've seen around here.
If you have a hydro shop nearby, I would give it a try.
Will have to research as I'm not sure if there's any hydro shops here or not. Is coarse or super coarse the best grade to get? Want to make sure I get the right stuff. Appreciate the info.

Thanks for the info everyone. According to the home depot site it's $17 for a 2cu ft bag. Local nurseries are pretty lacking too but might go have a look tomorrow. If not, looks like it's somewhere online then.

Try building suppliers too,it is used in concrete sometimes for solar houses,and other stuff.

I get 4qu.ft. bags at the nursery for about $30.+/-.
Comes in different grades-small med. etc.

Back