• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting yellow peppers + mango + sweet potato ferment

started a new ferment today. decided to continue the tropical theme with my hot sauces and chose mango for this one. it's tough to get any decent yield from mangoes, any pointers?

also decided to use sweet potato, yellow bell (for color and fill), a little carrot and a tiny bit of ginger, as well as the usual suspects of sweet onion & lots of garlic.

~300 g mixed mustard habs, 7 pod yellow, and tobago yellow, chopped
2 mangoes, peeled, chopped, juice squeezed from pulp attached to seed
2/3 of a large sweet potato, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1.5 yellow bell peppers, finely chopped
1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 head garlic, cloves smashed
1 T shredded ginger

5.4% brine (1L distilled water + 51g kosher salt) added to shoulder of 1/2 gallon jar.

Will probably go 20-30 days on this and see what happens!

thanks for the replies. i finished this one up tonight, 28 days of fermentation. right before i went on vacation a week ago Friday, I noticed a little island of kahm yeast floating on top, no biggie, just the first time i'd seen it in one of my ferments. this fermentation was not as vigorous as the one with pineapple in it, less sugars for the lacto. anyway, i tested the pH today and it was 3.5, good to go. skimmed off the tiny kahm island and started processing it.

last sauce I made i regretted boiling off too much and had a thick consistency, so I watched that carefully today and covered the pot during the processing (mostly). i did a 20 minute boil (covered), processed in blender, boiled again for 20 minutes (covered), processed in blender, then simmered (partially covered) at 195+ for 15 minutes, then bottled, capped, and inverted. the process is getting a little easier with each batch. 

here's some pics:

straight out of the fermenting jar into the pot:

after blend #1 (forgot to take a pic after blend #2):

after bottling/inversion time:

labeled:

i ended up with 8 (5 oz) woozies of sauce, which is about 1.5 jars more than the last ferment of the same size due to the evaporation and, as I said earlier, the consistency is perfect this time, pours great.

taste is definitely hot with that classic habanero taste, some garlic, and I'm not getting much mango or ginger in the sauce yet (no sugars left to taste due to the ferment), i'll let it sit a few more days and try it again, but it's definitely a nice yellow hab sauce, i'm very happy with it.

rum probably would have tasted nice with this one RM! didn't see the suggestion until tonight after I was done though... on to the next sauce... i think i may try a non-fermented sauce.

had some of this with dinner last night and the flavors are really more apparent even after a few days. i do get just a hint of mango in there and the sweet potato adds a different dimension, i can't really put my finger on it, but I can tell it's there. i'll be covering everything with this one for a while!

Back