• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teurf 2014 - Grand Finale

Today is a good day to start my first grow log. I have a T5 2' 4 tube fixture by EnviroGro and a single CFL. My plan is to prep my plants for a summer grow starting around may-june in a community lot (prolly 10x20 or 20x20). I started with Miracle Gro potting soil but plan on changing for ProMix BX for next transplants. So far, I have used inorganic 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer, but would like to go for organic in the future. Right now, I am in an apartment on limited shelf space.

So far,

Carribean Red Hab (Aug 1st)
Thai Chili Red (Aug 1st)

(November 10ish)
7 pot Chaguanas
7 pot Barrackpore
7 pot Congo SR Gigantic
7 pot Original Red
7 pot Burgundy
7 pot Primo
Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Moruga

To come:
Aji Limon
Aji Amarillo
Red Rocoto (trying to germinate....)

That's about it for now!
TEURF

December 9th update:

I repotted the superhot into plastic beer cups. I didn't have enough space for 1 plant per pot for now.. They might get a bit crowded/bound but it's a try. I potted them with 1 part cocopeat, 1 part Myke potting soil, and 1/2 part perlite. Taken from Praxxus channel :) .

I also noticed something strange on my 7 pot burgundy... I think it might be some powdery mildew. Anyone know if I'm right. If so, should I throw it out? Or treat it with foliar H202?

Finally, I'm trying germination for those:
- Aji Limon, Aji Amarillo, Rocoto, Fresno, Cherry Bomb

Peace,
TEURF

December 23rd update:

After accidently dropping a magnificient 7 pod burgundy, I took a picture to show overall progress of my superhots.

I also germinated a lemon drop and a cherry bomb. My stubborn aji amarillo and rocoto won't germinate. Also my fresno pepper will not come up. I think I might have to invest in a heating mat...

My carribean red habanero is shooting mad buds for its size. Maybe I will pinch some of those off.

Since it got too big, I had to bring my thai pepper at work, on the windowsill. So far he's doing ok with a nice fork action.

This weekend, I will need to repot my superhots to 1 per pot instead of 2, because they are liking the Praxxus potting mix and growing like mad. Roots are already coming out at the bottom and circling around. I plan on keeping only duplicate of each of the 8 species, making it 16 cups total. Will apply Myke 8-4-5 vegetable food when transplanting.

Peace,
TEURF

Very nice! Apartment growers unite! Sounds like you got a nice plot to work with. I'm going for two 8x12's if they have em available, but we are strict organic.

The red hab looks fantastic. That was probably my favorite from last growing season. Tastes great.

Will be following along and sending good vibes your way.

January 2nd, 2014 update:

During the holidays, I had to let go half of my superhots. I also threw away my X4 7 pod Red Original Strain, they were all yellowing and stopped growing with something that seemed like fungi on the roots or rootrot. Here is the revised grow list.

Thai Pepper (2)
Caribbean Red Habanero (1)
7 pod Congo SR (2)
7 pod Chaguanas (2)
7 pod Burgundy (2)
7 pod Primo (2)
7 pod Barrackpore (2)
Brown Moruga Scorpion (2)
Bhut Jolokia Red (2)
Lemondrop (1)
Fresno (1)
Cherry Bomb (1)
Rocoto (failed to germ)
Aji Amarillo (failed to germ)
7 pod douglah (not germ)
Trinidad Scorpion (not germ)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (not germ)

My small Thai pepper flowering. Having trouble with podding. I think this might be caused by temperature fluctuations during day and night. I am thinking of covering the window with insulation film.

The other Thai survived the two weeks holiday break at work. FEWW! It seems to be doing great by the avocado tree.

Next is my carribean red habanero. My second plant died to rootbound drying issues. The soil was miracle grow and was rock solid making the watering inefficient.

Pepperlover's Congo is showing strange spotting, I think I might have overfertilized some of those along the way

Pepperlover's Chaguanas is simply magnificent

Pepperjoe's Lemondrop

Group shot

My growspace

Not pepper related, but worth the show, Kaffir lime tree thriving

My rocoto and aji amarillo germination attempts resulted in gnat larvae eating the seeds whole, had to throw those out. The little maggots start circling around again. I let the soil dry out and soapy water most of the time. Catching lost adults with apple cider vinegar.

Thanks!
TEURF

January 21st update:

I have added Numex Big Jim and Numex Joe.E Parker to the collection. Also, a friend of mine went to his home country during the holidays (Burkina Faso) and brought me what he calls: ''Piment Sorcière'' which looks like Burkina Yellow. I am also germinating this one right now.

Numexs

Poorly looking Douglah and Lemondrop

Poorly looking Cherry Bomb and Fresno

Thriving Supers

Thai putting out flower, and losing them

I recently read Teaming with Microbes and have been inspired by this reading. Hope to put that to work this summer.
Later,
Teurf

February 6th update:

I have pods! My thai chili which I kept really small shooted 4 pods. He's not in the best shape but w/ever. The other one is still at work, gave him a heavy haircut.

I had doublets of each superhots planted so I went away and did a topping action:
Before:

After:

The reaction by the Brown Moruga:

Transplanted the other doublet of my superhots to one gallon buckets, hopefully their final before plantout before 5 gallons. Chaguanas and Jolokia have started a nice fork.

Here are Numex Joe E Parker and Numex Big jim (up front) ready for pot-up

Burkina Yellow, brought by a friend at work has had a wonderful germ rate

Lastly, I have entered a contest with other fellow Quebecers to grow the tallest pepper plant in a beer bottle. I chose red peter pepper and trinidad perfume. I also have aji (Limo, Rocoto and Amarillo) under ''germination dome''.

Thanks to Nigel for the awesome ebay link to Peruvian seeds for 10.25$ shipping included.

Wish you all a great day!
TEURF

February 15 update:

After repotting my supers, I lowered the shelf because some of them were touching the lights.. They really enjoyed the repot with 8-4-5 veg slow release fert. Most of them forked nicely and I am seeing some buds forming on internodes. I also separated the Numex's.

My topped supers are putting out some new leaves (I also decided to top the Carribean Hab).

Another thing I am excited about is the Peruvian seeds I ordered. At last I have pubes germinating! Here is Rocoto just hooking.

Peter pepper pointing the sky with its helmeted friend. Its cotys won't seperate though.

Aji Amarillo, Aji Limo and Trinidad Perfume (Bottle) germinated on schedule.

Thats it for now.
Peace!
TEURF

March 5th, 2014.

Hello again, another update of my Northern grow log, I woke up to a -25 degrees Celsius (-13F) this morning... brrrr when is spring starting again??

My little T5 forest:

Sprinkled some azomite in their: From left to right, up to down: 7 pot chaguanas, 7 pot burgundy, Bhut Jolokia, 7 pot primo, 7 pod barrackpore, 7 pod congo, Brown Moruga.

Big Jims and Joe E Parker from CPI

Here is my second set

Stuggling Rocotos

Peter Pepper on the left and Trinidad Perfume on the right

Thats it,
Peace,
TEURF

March 17 update:

Hello again. Lately I have had problems with my older pepper plants touching the T5 bulbs. I wanted to raise the shelf again but I was afraid it could affect the smaller ones lacking some light, especially with all the foliage affecting light penetration. I figured I still have 2 months ahead of me, so I went ahead and topped off all of my superhots to about 6-8 nodes high.

Here is the result after about 1 1/2 week

This is the Congo SR Gigantic

Here is the Primo branching out

Here is a group shot of the shelving unit with ripe thai peppers in the back YAY!!! I will bring one at work to have a little pepper challenge with a friend :)

Upper shelf. Kaffir limes could use a pot up. My dragonfruit is slowing putting out new growth and reaching.

This weekend, I went over to the Lac Saint-Jean for an icefishing trip with my friends. We had fun at the freezing temps of -35C/-31F, on the big lake. Thanks to my friends for taking all these nice pictures :)

Gusts of winds blowing at 60km/h created snow dunes

Cya later!
Teurf

Another update to myself  :rolleyes:

I did my first hot pepper "challenge" with my awesome Peruvian coworker. Last friday, we ate a thai pepper before leaving, it was nice. I shed 3 or 4 tears but all in all it wasn't that bad. My friend had instant hiccups. Next time, we will do the habaneros, and slowly climb up The Scale.

Here are the workplace peppers: Thai, Red Caribbean Hab, Thai.... and my car in the background lol

Carribbean Hab podding up:

Bell pepper, Kaffir Lime, Caribbean Hab and another Thai

Back to the shelf:
The bushes are also looking good!

7 pot chaguanas:

Slowpokes: Douglah, Cherry Bomb, Aji Amarillo, Numex Big Jim, Trinidad Perfume

This weekend I went with my sister and gf at a expo for vegan and overall healthy food and stuff. I found a stand of Urban Garden Growing. The company was called Gro4 Organics Inc. They were selling seeds, smartpots and.... Worm Castings. I went ahead and bought a bag of EWC. Will sprinkle this on my babies soon.

Teurf

ChiliNoob said:
You're plants are looking great Teurf. Nice score on the worm poop.

Gro4 Organics is actually located in Ontario if I am not wrong. You could score yourself lol.

Thanks for the comment. I am also following you glog closely!
Teurf

Kyox89 said:
I'm growing dragonfruit too! Very slow progress. Haha. Nice peppers though!

Hey Kyox,

Thanks for the comment. Are your dragonfruit cactus growing faster? I guess so since you are in a tropical climate :). What kind of soil are you growing it in?

Teurf

They're still in potting soil. Haha! They're only starting to show their cactus self through their seedling stage.
Its my first time growing them. I love eating dragonfruit so i decided why not plant them. Haha.
Is it advisable to repot them into garden soil dyou think? I will be using pots all the way due to the lack of space.

Kyox89 said:
They're still in potting soil. Haha! They're only starting to show their cactus self through their seedling stage.
Its my first time growing them. I love eating dragonfruit so i decided why not plant them. Haha.
Is it advisable to repot them into garden soil dyou think? I will be using pots all the way due to the lack of space.

I read some info on here: http://www.mattslandscape.com/hylocereus_info/

He suggests 1/3 sand, 1/3 compost, 1/3 soil. I guess any rich mix with adequate draining.

I saw a few videos of people building moss covered trellis so that the aerial roots can attach themselves growing upwards.

When I went to vietnam I saw tons of fields and they were growing them about 2 meters high.

Teurf

I see. Actually i have a serious lack of space here so i dont know where these kids will end up when they grow up.
In that sense i think its good that they're growing really slowly. In any case.. I will be tracking your progress with the dragonfruits and of course your peppers!

Back