• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vezena Piperka from Macedonia

Anyone have photos to share of this beauty? How consistent is the corking effect?

These photos were sent to me by Chris Fowler in the UK.

Every photo I have seen they corking is very consistent I think I have also seen it called elephant or something of the sort

Hey Nigel!

This is Elefant and not Elephant`s Trunk (looks differently).

it´s a popular pepper in Europe.

you have seeds to grow this beauty?

How consistent is the corking effect?

Well, the corking effect is very consistent and eating this pepper is really fascinating. it gives you a completly different feeling of chewing a pepper. it is one of my favourites.

cheers!

Chilinferno said:
Hey Nigel!

This is Elefant and not Elephant`s Trunk (looks differently).

it´s a popular pepper in Europe.

you have seeds to grow this beauty?

Well, the corking effect is very consistent and eating this pepper is really fascinating. it gives you a completly different feeling of chewing a pepper. it is one of my favourites.

cheers!
Thank you for the correction, I appreciate it! 

I will be getting seeds, but I do not have them at the moment. Great to know you like them so much. Now I`m really looking forward to growing them!

Another good one is the potato market jalapeño. A friend of mine is sending me some from Spain, and hopefully I receive them today if customs didn't jack my seeds.

-Walt

I know it by the name Rezha, but looks like it's the same pepper.  I only have a picture of a green pepper, but the corking is
very prevalent on every pepper.  Mine are very sweet and very hot.  I believe they are for roasting.

yeah a eview would be great!!

yeah it looks bizarre and my wife thinks the curled up one looks like a Slug LOL

i once had seed for a Macadonian Cayenne called Fefferone i actually got from a women in Albania, i sold and traded away it all and did not save myself any :cry:

its quite common though if i really wanted it i could get it again

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:

i once had seed for a Macadonian Cayenne called Fefferone i actually got from a women in Albania, i sold and traded away it all and did not save myself any :cry:

its quite common though if i really wanted it i could get it again

thanks your friend Joe

Common, no.  Available, yes…….It would be good for Nigel to do a review on this, both fresh and roasted.  The skin is rough, I peeled it off after roasting.  
I didn't eat many due to laziness of roasting.

Oops, I take that back Joe.  I didn't see you meant feferoni, which is a different pepper.

Wondering If Feferona,Feferoni Red ,feferone and The XXXX(fill in the Blank)Feferoni/Feferona/feferone are just names for the same thing or are totally different peppers.

I don't know if Feferoni or Feferona ... means something special or is like AJi is used...

Seems Like I have several peppers called Feferoni,feferone or Feferona but ,without checking some are Annuums and others are Baccatums.
Several are from different countries.
So I'm wondering about the different spelling due to the country of origin.
Then again it might be Landrace stuff for what was originally the same pepper.
The ones I've grown , IF I remember right had similar pods in size and shape-as suggested above they were +/- Fryers that were heavily corked...Most used green or ripe roasted and skinned or red for paprika.
Not hijacking the thread-Nigel loves this stuff. :)

they are the same, its the singular vs plural  of the name.  like peperoncini vs peperoncino...

piperka is pepper in macedonian. 

The peppers I grew didn't seem very hot, they weren't sweet peppers, but I didn't think they were extremely hot.  Roasting was best because of the hard skin, I think they are tasty.  Its like a red bell almost but with heat.  I wanted to use some of these to make spicy Ajvar, but my dogs ate most of them.

Wow, that is one really cool looking pepper! Can't wait to hear Nigel's review on that one. Funny so popular in Europe, but just now finding it's way here. I wonder what other little hidden gems they have over there. 

I kinda guessed something like that.

Now the only thing is that - without checking I have different ones that are Baccatums and others are Annuums.
Haven't actually checked my grow log/collection,but I think I have similar names for a Baccatuum though most I think were Annuums.

I find seeds for the same thing get spelled different depending on the source I had-might be spelled different by my source rather than the way it is spelled in the place the pepper originated.
A translation thing rather than a different pepper.
Roxa,rojo etc. are just different words for red.

Rawkstah said:
they are the same, its the singular vs plural  of the name.  like peperoncini vs peperoncino...

piperka is pepper in macedonian. 

The peppers I grew didn't seem very hot, they weren't sweet peppers, but I didn't think they were extremely hot.  Roasting was best because of the hard skin, I think they are tasty.  Its like a red bell almost but with heat.  I wanted to use some of these to make spicy Ajvar, but my dogs ate most of them.

The pic I posted above must be different than your peppers.  Mine were sweet and very hot.  I got my seeds from someone on garden web in 2009.

roper2008 said:

Common, no.  Available, yes…….It would be good for Nigel to do a review on this, both fresh and roasted.  The skin is rough, I peeled it off after roasting.  
I didn't eat many due to laziness of roasting.

Oops, I take that back Joe.  I didn't see you meant feferoni, which is a different pepper.
yup I am a very bad speller but yes I meant FEFERONI,  im actually starting to become somewhat a fan of annums as my tummy cant handle the hotter ones as often anymore

thanks your friend joe

Back