• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! One Pot Meal Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
ONE POT MEAL

The essence of the one pot meal it to throw everything into one pot, cook, and serve. No extra dirty pots, and a majority of the food groups, and dishes that could be considered sides, are all in the pot. So for this particular TD, it shall be defined as:

A meal with all ingredients for that meal cooked in one pot, deep pan, roasting pan, D.O., or slow or pressure cooker. Since the idea of a one pot meal is "no fuss" you must use only one pot for the entire meal, not just the finish cook. Why dirty 3 pots searing meats and sweating veggies for the final pot? Nope. Not on this one. ONE POT MEAL is one pot meal! So choose your weapon wisely. One that can sear, sautee, braise, and whatever your meal requires.

No re-using the pot unless it is stages for the final cook. You may not empty the contents as finished for serving and then cook something else (one pot used twice is essentially two pots), however, you can pre-cook, remove, and re-add to the same pot later. The finishing cooking must include all of the ingredients for the meal.
  • The entire meal must be cooked in ONE pot, deep pan, roasting pan, D.O., or slow or pressure cooker.
  • Food may be cooked/seared etc. and removed for adding later, but it must be in the same pot for final cooking.
  • NO sides (bread on the side and garnish ONLY).
  • NO "over" rice or pasta, etc. If rice or pasta is a part of the meal, put it in the pot (and it must cook in the pot, pre-cooking in another pot does not equal a one pot meal).
  • NO sectioning; cooking asparagus on one side of a pan, salmon on the other. That is not a one pot meal, that is a two pan meal done in one. All ingredients must be incorporated (mixed together freely) in the pot.
One pot meals are great! This is not limited to soups and stews, think outside the box. You can prep and pre-cook as much as you need (using the same pot), as long as it goes into the pot for final cooking, and the end result has all of the ingredients.

If you can use ONE POT from start to finish, with all of the ingredients in the pot upon finish... it's a ONE POT MEAL!

Someone once said one pot meals would not look good in pics. I disagree, and it will be great to see how one pot can be used for an entire meal, especially stuff you guys come up with!

FOR THIS REASON... the final pics must include each time your pot is used as a cooking step. This is not only to prove that you used one pot for the entire meal, but also to make the final post more interesting. So really, the pics are unlimited on this one (though posts have a 10 max display before it turns into a link). One pic for each cooking step, and a slammin' presentation pic.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry (see above for pic rules)

Exact measurements of pot ingredients!

PoL: .35

ENDS: Sunday 10:00 PM EST

BEGIN!

Here i am:

ifouWTOPj9gDb.jpg

This will be my dinner.

Peppers are 7pods... Plant is overwintering so they're small... But theyre 7! Who said 7 pots for 1 pod? I said 7 pods for 1 pot!

I just must cut something then begin!

Ok, now the boring job is done. From now on i should only be cooking. Maybe i'll use some cooking salt too...
From above i've added other mushrooms because they were not enough (now i have 457g instead 500g wanted... Not a problem).

irMhuMahzaZyS.jpg

Highest quality ingredient? Maybe wine (sauvignon probably around 14° and is no way passito...).
/*POST- COOKING EDIT: i've used only 1 package of pasta*/

My pot:

ipapVNGBKHt5g.jpg

I'm starving. This will probably be one of my heaviest pot ever...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Best of luck on that, I used 7 full size 7 pots in a pot of chili and it will be the last time. ;)
Thanks! ;) Luckily these are small sized, so i can keep the words big! :drunk:

Revenge of the 49 pots
Why 1 seven pod for 7 pots? 7 seven pods for 1 pot! Seven 7 pod, enough to spice 49 pots! Like 49 angry pots all at once! This is an agry recipe, heat will last long [both for capsaicin and for energy (both for termal and fat reasons)].

Ingredients:
  • 7 seven pods
  • 7 cloves of garlic
  • parsley
  • 500 g mushrooms
  • 500 g spiced guanciale (cheek lard)
  • 500 g canned beans
  • 500 g onions
  • 500 g fresh pasta (cavatelli here)
  • black pepper powder
  • salt
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 200 ml white wine (high degree sauvignon here)
Cooking!
You cut all that needs to be cut, then start to throw in the pot, stirring often. That's all.

ibu6U2T8Gg9qTw.gif

• heat 2 tablespoons of water
  • toss in sequence: onions, black pepper powder, salt, guanciale, garlic, seven pods
  • cook guanciale with wine, then toss parsley
  • toss mushrooms
  • after a while, toss canned beans with water that was inside cans!
  • salt if needed
  • when it starts to boil, throw pasta in!
  • cook pasta al dente
  • turn off fire and close pot
  • go cleaning instruments used (one pot --> fast)
  • eat!
Final dish

i5d6MJD8hIVx5.jpg

Nice work Essegi! Yum yum gimme some. Beans, pasta..... All you need is some crusty bread for the carb trifecta!

That is totally what is called "comfort food" here in the U.S. - hot and heavy to warm and fill you up. Well done!

It's been a crazy week, and temps outside are below freezing.  Sounds like a good time to break out my favorite CI Chicken Pan #8.

kybrd's definitely got the teaser going.  All Fluff, No Stuff....can't tell what's on deck with that cook.  HHhhhmmmmmm~

Nice first post of the TD Essegi!  Looking very yummy.

Phil said:
A jambalaya would be perfect for this, people..... get on it!
Very tempted to try making my 1st jambalaya and having it as my first TD attempt!
Question for the boss though if I do attempt it-can I use sausage we smoke where I work even if we only have 3 local stores? 

Tinnie said:
Nice one Essegi!! :fireball:

...... i think all my ingredients are here...... i think.....

..... this wont be pretty, but hoping it will be tasty enough....

kzif.jpg
Damn! What sort of inflation is going on back home?! I seriously hope $1.75 doesn't equal .35 cents US! lmao. Looks good either way!

hahaha.... didnt realise there was a certain amount to be presented :eek: ...... 35cents will be in the next one

Thanks to all for appreciation!:D
Husker21 said:
Nice work Essegi! Yum yum gimme some. Beans, pasta..... All you need is some crusty bread for the carb trifecta!
Eh eh i'll use bread to clean the pot when i finish that stuff. And i'll finish that alone, true that 7 pods were tiny sized, still too hot for non chile heads!:D

PoL: .35  This is Proof of Life.  Meaning .35 cents.  Or for us Aussies, the nearest we can get to the TD (throwdown) PoL without 1 or 2 cent coins.

Heya boss, could you possibly change it to read Proof of life in future throwdowns for the peeps who have never entered?

Essegi,
Nice combo of ingredients, simple process, using can beans beats having to soak the dry ones...same with the mushrooms.
Just curious though, what kind of fresh or dry mushrooms are available in your area ?

Well thought process (step by step) photography..........all the way down to the last lid shot with your camera reflection........... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back