• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan 2014 - Resurrection

Wow, first growing season in the new house and I'm totally stoked for this one. Lots of prep work still to be done but there's plenty of time to get it done before plant out. So, here is a pic of where Pepper Row will be going in:

D94DFA0C-B99C-4B8A-982B-79DE489D9ABE-8559-00000C4E05B54911_zps3cffd7c1.jpg

I'll be coming out about another 18 to 24 inches from the fence. The brick line will move out to the new edge and the Ivey will be kept cut back to wher it is now so the fence doesn't show through, she who must be obeyed has made it known that she doesn't want to see it :)

I'm still working on the list and as these will probably be in for a while I'm actually thinking about rather a short list using the peppers I use most often in sauces but can't get locally like Fataliis and planting 3 or 4 of each.

The other, non-pepper stuff will be growing in the big bed at the end of the row. We'll be putting in raised beds there but first I have to remove this bast@rd:

Dang IPhone lockups :(

So, first I have to remove this:

A430DEA6-4E6A-4EA7-9E60-D7E70BFC5EA8-639-000000C724D36FCA_zps59c91db8.jpg

I've looked at several methods and stump grinders are expensive to rent and I don't want to wait the time for the chemical stump removers. The best answer for me is to use my Skill Saw and make deep cuts through the stump and follow behind with a Mattock to chip it out. Since we're going to use raised beds I really don't have to get it down much below ground level.

Thanks for stopping by. I'll be posting up some more pics of the area as soon as I can get home before dark to get some :)

Penny said:
What a great space....cant wait to see some pics as it all come's together. ;)

Thanks, it is going to be a lot of fun getting it all together and bunches of Pics will follow so stay tuned.

PIC 1 said:
Bill looks like a fun project...any utilities run under that area.

Thanks Greg I'm betting it will be a lot of fun and a great source of back pain for me :) Most all of our utilities are run in the front yard along the street. The house backs onto the 14th Fairway of the golf course so not much more than sprinkler lines were run back there.

LUCKYDOG said:
Some tree guys are cheaper than renting a grinder. Check with them maybe barter ? 

I've talked to a couple of them and most of them are in the $500 range + or - and the method I've selected won't cost me anything but some electricity and the sweat I put into it. Besides I can recruit my daughters boyfriends to assist Bwahahahah :)

PIC 1 said:
Ah....nice, 14th fairway may be par for the coarse for some folks, but your 19th hole (backyard) will be the Eagle of them all...good luck with the digs, the property looks gorgeous !

It is the nicest place we have ever owned and it was total luck that we found it and were able to get it. Really never thought that I'd ever live in much less own a place like this. I'll post some pics of the house up sometime, but here's a parting shot from the back porch the other morning:

57060062-0588-4447-BA1F-99378C0E34D9-526-0000012AFEE9613A_zps54fa4b89.jpg

Jeff H said:
Honestly Bill, I have no idea how you resist the urge to put a line of plants against the window in that giant greenhouse pool room.

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Nice but I would be planting some containers in the pool area as well. Just saying

;) It's in the plans, just have to sneak it  get them in place so that the wife can re arange them to the way she likes them. There are hooks for hanging baskets along each side under the balconies and I'm thinking about some short peppers like a Cayennette will do nicely there and then out by the screen, to each side, there'll be Myers Lemon trees that I'm putting into half whiskey barrels. 

Hooray for your new start at your new place!  It's got to be exciting to have all the possibilities in front of you at the new place - congratulations again.  Of course, we're all also waiting the pictures of the mad scientist's sauce brewing layer you are creating inside.

Looks like a real nice place. I bet the neighbors are going to think you're crazy when you start pulling up all that sod. You should start digging late at night and really get them guessing. ;)

Pulpiteer said:
Hooray for your new start at your new place!  It's got to be exciting to have all the possibilities in front of you at the new place - congratulations again.  Of course, we're all also waiting the pictures of the mad scientist's sauce brewing layer you are creating inside.

I have to cook the sauces outside so that those within the house can still breath. So, I'm cooking up the Flaming Pumpkin, Douglah Edition and one of my neighbors comes over. he's sneezing and eyes are watering and he asks, "What is that wonderful smell?" So I explain it to him and ask if he'd like a little taste of course he's all man and has had a few brewskies and all Heck yeah! so, I ask him if he'd like to exchange the beer in his hand for a glass of milk and he says awww, I can take a little heat So....

I pull out a stainless stir spoon and get him out a little taste let it cool a bit and hand it to him and he swallows back about a 2 tablespoon shot of this pure Douglah Hot Sauce. He's ok for about 5 seconds and then he slams the rest of the beer he has in his had and run for another one. All i could do was yell "GO FOR THE MILK!!" after him. About 30 minutes later he comes back over like nothing happened and says man that's some damn good sauce. Well, I had already done my little ROFLAMO so i just agreed with him and sent him home with a bottle.

SL3 said:
Looks like a real nice place. I bet the neighbors are going to think you're crazy when you start pulling up all that sod. You should start digging late at night and really get them guessing. ;)

and with only a couple of buddies with flashlights for light ;)

Bill,

Since she who must be obeyed requested that you grow ornamentals, plant the seeds I sent you in the pool area. That way, they won't take up room in your raised bed space, and your wife can enjoy looking at the ornamentals poolside!

Tom

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice spot RocketMan. About how much space are you going to leave between plants?

it's a pretty long strip so thinking about 18 to 24 inches between plants and maybe up to 36 inches between types.  

texas blues said:
That's pretty dang sweet RM.

Caution when inviting SoFlo over.

Bear. That guy. likes to leave Clark bars in the pool.

That's not a problem, I have a 7 and an 8 year old that will make him feel so embarrassed he'll clean it up himself, check the pool chemicals to make sure they're at a safe level and offer to cook dinner because of it.  

Pulpiteer said:
that's a great story! I love it. 

Funny, when I saw him come out the other morning he looked at me with a kind of strange look on his face and didn't wave as he drove by. Do you think I should have said something about second burn?  :mouthonfire:

kentishman said:
Bill,

Since she who must be obeyed requested that you grow ornamentals, plant the seeds I sent you in the pool area. That way, they won't take up room in your raised bed space, and your wife can enjoy looking at the ornamentals poolside!

Tom

Now that's a thought Tom, thanks

Back