• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Identification Help

Unknown Pepper

Plant Overview. Jalapeno plant in the background, unknown in foreground. This hydroponic plant is a year old, and these are the first peppers I have gotten from it. The original plant was located in Taipei, Taiwan, where the seeds somehow ended up in my pocket, and were even more mysteriously planted and germinated with success. I also cloned the plant and created a dirt copy, which has ended up exactly the same, with clustered flowers and fruit, which develop to a nice yellow color.

Holding the stem. As you can see, the flower/fruit formation is one thing that I find most interesting about this plant. I’ve never seen fruit cluster quite like that. The fruit developed from a an extremely firm texture, to less firm and very juicy once ripe.

Pepper size Comparison shot. From left to right, Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Unknown

Pepper Cut Open. Lots of juice, and an insane amount of seeds. Very little spice to the little yellow globe.

Any Ideas?

Wow. I don't even recognize the species. What color are the flowers?

Edit: Maybe it's a c. flexuosum, which is a plant I'm seeking. Seems too prolific for that species but it resembles it.

Do the flowers look like this?
_DSC9984.jpg

Check out the description here:

http://infernochili.net/?page=villichilit

im not so sure but it doent look like a pepper??

it looks like a Laurel species but i could be wrong, im not a pro by any means

its a cool looking plant thats for sure

im going to follow this this interests me

thanks your friend Joe

RedtailForester said:
I have a haunting suspicion that you have some kind of Nightshade plant there. Do you have any pictures of the flowers?
i think your right Dan, we can however rule out it being yellow nightshade, it dosnt look at all like it

I BELEIVE CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN NOT TO EAT THE FRUIT!!  THAT COULD BE VERY BAD!!

thanks your friend Joe

I do not have any pictures of the flowers, but I can tell you that they are equally unique as well. I remembered the flowers being very small, and did not look very typical for pepper flowers. I will check the plant after work today, and see if any flowers are forming. I'll be sure to break out my macro so that you can see all of the detail as well. If not, we may have to wait until they form again.

I can for sure tell you that the flowers are not even close to the yellow nightshade, or any typical pepper flower.

I will also keep in mind not to eat any of the little yellow fruits.

Thank you! and good luck!

However, Upon doing some google image surfing, I have found other nightshade family plants with what I remember being the same type of flower. This is a shot of Enchanter's Nightshade. Fruit formation would match as well.
Site-flower-enchanters-nightshade-1a-2013-07-08_edited-1.jpg

Just to clarify, I meant yellow nightshade in a very broad sense not as a specific variety. Either way, I'm not 100% sure if it is toxic. I would keep researching. Either way, that is a beautiful looking plant.

RedtailForester said:
Just to clarify, I meant yellow nightshade in a very broad sense not as a specific variety. Either way, I'm not 100% sure if it is toxic. I would keep researching. Either way, that is a beautiful looking plant.
Thanks for the clarification. 

It appears that we are in luck, and are about to see the flowers unfold. I attached an image of a cluster forming.

Above picture magnified. Sorry for the fuzz. I will break out my camera+macro when the flowers form.

Back