• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Question to Hot Sauce collectors

If you pay, say, about a hundred bucks or more for a bottle of hot sauce, do you ever open it and consume it?

If you do consume it, does taste 9X better than a ten dollar bottle of hot sauce?

I'm just trying to understand. Thanks! :banghead:

It's not always "taste first".

First of all, there's something very cool (even if it is a novelty) about absolutely RIDICULOUS heat. The sheer shock factor and "can you believe how hot this is" factor is worth some of the money to a lot of people. It can be a fun conversation piece.

Secondly, the rarity issue is important. A lot of people think it's really cool to have some sort of extreme sauce that every joe blow *can't* just go out and buy on a whim. It's something special. That's cool. Also, that can be a conversation piece....when it was released, how many there are, why it's special (ingredients, level of heat, etc)...that's part of the fun. If anyone can just go out and buy it for $5 bucks, it takes some of the fun out of it. Here's an analogy for you: Why do people buy brand new Ferrari 360 Modenas and Lamborghini Gallardos if you can build up, say, a Corvette for less money and outperform it? It's just not the same (and keep in mind I'm saying this as a Corvette owner). Exclusivity, uniqueness, FUN, history, etc. It's all part of the equation. If you think Corvettes lose some appeal because you see them 20 times a day, there's something to that. You value exclusivity and uniqueness more than others. Some don't care. As long as they have one, it doesn't matter. But, the same idea goes with anything. Why buy an old guitar used by the Beatles that's torn up for $40,000 instead of buying a 70's top-of-the-line Martin for 1/10th of that price that sounds 100 times better? Answer? It's not as special. Period. That's REALLY important to some people. :banghead:

There's more too, but this post is long enough.

"Dude you take this way too seriously". Not really. I don't even have that big of a collection. I've never even thought about this in depth even once....but when someone asks, I'll be thorough in explaining anything. :onfire:

...oh and I didn't answer one more thing. Yes, I do open them usually. I try to buy 2 (if I can). One to open, and one to keep. :banghead:

Ryan, I think it might be you that is taking this a little too seriously. I read the veritable inundation of your postings regarding just this matter on the HSB, and I noticed you apologizing to most of the people you were talking to. Just an observation.

Ryan,

Let me 2nd the notion that the Creator has put out there. The vehemence of your responses is out of proportion to the opinions you are backlashing against. I've seen the flurry of your retractions as well on the HSB, and I also think you need to take a deep breath, calm down, and realize that this is all meant to be discussion taken (at the worst) with a large grain of salt. We're a friendly bunch, really we are...just consider switching to decaf for a day and you might realize that.

I realize of course, that this might just inspire exactly the type of response I mention above. Oh well, can't fault me for trying... 😉

- Joe

DEFCON Creator said:
Ryan, I think it might be you that is taking this a little too seriously. I read the veritable inundation of your postings regarding just this matter on the HSB, and I noticed you apologizing to most of the people you were talking to. Just an observation.

I was talking about me. When I said "I think you're taking this a little too seriously", I was talking as if I were someone responding to my post. I think you misread it. :)

I think this is hilarious actually....hahahaha. I'm one of the most laid back people that I know...and seriously one of the calmest you'd ever meet.

All I did was express an opinion and it's viewed as some sort of fanaticism. hahaha. ok, well whatever. :)

Expessing an opinion is fine, obsession with an opinion is fine only in the eye of the obsessor. I hardly think 30+ messages in a week on the HSB regarding the same topic is a mere opinion. It seems the conflictive banter has bled over to this forum as well. It was taken by many on the HSB as trying to hammer it home, and this force-feeding of opinion succeeded only in upsetting a few of the big players as well as others, hence the numeorus apologies made by yourself during the course of your Crusade. As for being the most mellow laid back guy as you state, others are seeing you a little different. When Blair releases his next reserve, perhaps a preemptive anxiety management session is in order so as to keep your self-praised calm, cool, and collected demeanor calm, cool and collected. This should not only minimize the diatribe aimed at others, but also minimize the amount of apologies you'll have to make, and at the same time allow people to respond to your post before you post 10 more. Just an opinion stemming from observation. :)

To your original question Chuk,

I have just barely started collecting, and I can't see opening them. I think that it's great to spend money on things that you can keep and collect, for conversation peices, decoration, and personal satisfaction. But I can't understand the allure of spending all that money to try them.

For heat, there are plenty of sauces in the $30 and lower range that offer as much heat as you'd ever need.

Maybe when I get around to trying 3 am one of these days I'll be so blown away that I'll have to try every reserve I can get my hands on; but my suspicion is that wont be the case.

chuk hell said:
If you pay, say, about a hundred bucks or more for a bottle of hot sauce, do you ever open it and consume it?

If you do consume it, does taste 9X better than a ten dollar bottle of hot sauce?

I'm just trying to understand. Thanks! :)

Great question, Chuk.

I like to collect hot sauces. I'm sure that many collectors collect in different ways. Some people like to buy all the novelty sauces (with cute names). Some people like to collect limited edition sauces. Personally, I like to collect sauces from different places. At first, I just collected, having a handful of regular sauces that I use personally. Now, when I buy sauces, I like to buy 2 (at least) so I can try what I am buying.
I have only purchased one limited edition sauce...I have #34 (out of 99) of Blair's 1st Halloween reserve. I paid 99$ for is from Blair. My wife wanted to kick my butt!!!!
I explained to her, though, that I intend to at least partially pay for a trip with the kids to Disney with that sauce. In fact, I'm about ready to put it up for sale. Eat it? Nope. Do see a reason to. I guess there are some who would eat a 100 dollar bottle of hot sauce....but I'm not one of them. To me, the only reason I paid 100 for it was the rarity....not the flavor/heat. I'm not sure I'll ever spend that much on a hot sauce again. It was just for fun, and it was an interesting conversation piece.
Oh well. To each his own.

Josh

As a collector, I do what most collectors do, byu 2+ bottles of each sauce - one to save and the remainder to eat. For the high-end bottles - no, I don't open them intentionally, but if I happen across a broken bottle that won't hold any collectible value, then you bet I'm going to be opening it. There is no specific theme in my collection - I try to pick up a few new bottles every other month or so - mostly while traveling.

From a business perspective, I get all kinds of crazy requests for hard to find hot sauces - From Dave's to Blair's, Vintage Tabasco labels, bottles from each state, only organic sauces, baseball themed sauces, autographed sauces - a hot sauce collection is in the eye of the collector.

I collect and display only those autographed by the manufacturer or celebrity who the sauce is named after. I currently display some 350+ autographed bottles. I've also been known to ccasionally purchase unsigned bottles when I believe there's a chance of getting them signed at a later date. Most interesting is building complete sets no longer being marketed then trying to track down the manufacturer long since disappeared from the market place. Whenever possible, such as at a trade shows, I'll obtain T-shirts, hats and other merchandise (autographed of course).I even have business cards and T-shirts promoting my collection. Many times I've had the opportunity to meet manufacturers face to face. Once they learn of my collection, many will donate a product just be in it. What a hoot that is! In all actuality I've paid for it many times over because attending one show can run several hunderd dollars when you consider travel and lodging. All that and I'm retired and on a fixed income! GO FIGURE!

I rarely buy duplicates for use. While I enjoy hot sauce, I'm not a "got to have it" kind of eater. I'm not a retailer, wholesaler or anything close. I have and will run auctions where I sell duplicates (or trade), otherwise it stays in the display. I consider myself a true collector in every sense of the word. It says on my card "There is Passion in my Fiery Quest"

To open ANY autographed hot sauce from my collection would be considered an "Act of War"! Even my 4 year old grandson will tell people when they walk through the door..."DON'T TOUCH PAW PAW'S HOT SAUCE!!! [:-)

:)

DEFCON Creator said:
Expessing an opinion is fine, obsession with an opinion is fine only in the eye of the obsessor. I hardly think 30+ messages in a week on the HSB regarding the same topic is a mere opinion. It seems the conflictive banter has bled over to this forum as well. It was taken by many on the HSB as trying to hammer it home, and this force-feeding of opinion succeeded only in upsetting a few of the big players as well as others, hence the numeorus apologies made by yourself during the course of your Crusade. As for being the most mellow laid back guy as you state, others are seeing you a little different. When Blair releases his next reserve, perhaps a preemptive anxiety management session is in order so as to keep your self-praised calm, cool, and collected demeanor calm, cool and collected. This should not only minimize the diatribe aimed at others, but also minimize the amount of apologies you'll have to make, and at the same time allow people to respond to your post before you post 10 more. Just an opinion stemming from observation. :)

.....right..... :lol: Give me a break. Not even close to accurate.

Moving on.....

sweatnspice said:
As a collector, I do what most collectors do, byu 2+ bottles of each sauce - one to save and the remainder to eat. For the high-end bottles - no, I don't open them intentionally, but if I happen across a broken bottle that won't hold any collectible value, then you bet I'm going to be opening it. There is no specific theme in my collection - I try to pick up a few new bottles every other month or so - mostly while traveling.

Exactly. I'm trying to do that too. I think it's a good idea if you want to use it AND keep it. :)

MSK said:
I collect and display only those autographed by the manufacturer or celebrity who the sauce is named after. I currently display some 350+ autographed bottles. I've also been known to ccasionally purchase unsigned bottles when I believe there's a chance of getting them signed at a later date. Most interesting is building complete sets no longer being marketed then trying to track down the manufacturer long since disappeared from the market place. Whenever possible, such as at a trade shows, I'll obtain T-shirts, hats and other merchandise (autographed of course).I even have business cards and T-shirts promoting my collection. Many times I've had the opportunity to meet manufacturers face to face. Once they learn of my collection, many will donate a product just be in it. What a hoot that is! In all actuality I've paid for it many times over because attending one show can run several hunderd dollars when you consider travel and lodging. All that and I'm retired and on a fixed income! GO FIGURE!

Very cool bro! Sounds like you have quite the collection! :lol:

To open ANY autographed hot sauce from my collection would be considered an "Act of War"! Even my 4 year old grandson will tell people when they walk through the door..."DON'T TOUCH PAW PAW'S HOT SAUCE!!! [:-)

:)

Ditto. hahaha. And I only have probably 1/12th as many as you do. :)

MSK I think Kato's has added to your collection in the past. I think you collection rates right up there with Chip Hearn's collection.

Mick
Kato's

kato said:
MSK I think Kato's has added to your collection in the past. I think you collection rates right up there with Chip Hearn's collection.

Mick
Kato's

That's pretty cool. I never would have thought of getting my bottles signed...

I have over 350 bottles as well....almost none of them signed. I collect them while traveling, for the most part.

Living in South Mississippi presented quiet a scare during Hurricane Katrina. I live approximatly two blocks from the Gulf of Mexico. There wasn't enough time during evacuation to pack up the collection. While I felt reasonably sure my home was safe from major damage, I would have preferred to bring them with me, but winds were already at a dangerous level. It would have taken way too much time.

After the storm we were able to reach my daughter's house the next morning. Our first impression from the street was very encourging. We couldn't see any damage what-so-ever. But opening the door proved to be gut wrenching as we realized they had received about 4' water. Everything was ruined. At least they were safe and the house was rebuildable. With the help of many friends they were able to move back in about two weeks ago.

Returning to our house was heartbreaking. It took two days for the water to recede enough. We had to park a full block north of the house and walk over debris to reach it. Because we had to climb over parts of houses, furniture, appliances, etc., we just knew we no longer had a home or it had at least been flooded. Imagine our surpise to see the house damaged but still standing. Though after seeing my daughter's house we held little hope for the inside. Again...much to our surprise we received absolutely no water! After further investigation we could see just how close we came. The water came within 10' of the house and stopped. Some of our neighbors to the south weren't as lucky. Many homes are reduced to slabs or completely gutted. Most sad of all...just in our little neiborhood, 6 lives were lost!

Back to the original topic and on a brighter note...I have since realized that my collection is far too valuable to take so lightly. I have literally thousands of dollars invested. I 've since attached a rider to my homes owners policy that will, at the very least, offer a return in the event of unforseen circumstances.

It does represent a substantial investment once you get to a certain level. Insuring my collection is not a bad idea. I enjoy collecting hot sauces as much as I enjoy eating them. Glad to hear you weathered the storm. Welcome to the board.

Josh

You bet! Kato's is proudly displayed for all to see! All I have to do is look to my left on the south wall and there you are!!!

It's good talkin' to you again!!!

Hey I finally got to meet Hagis at the Fiery Food Show. The guy is truly nuts :) :lol: :) :D

Back