• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Nirvana inducted?

Nirvana is going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Why? The Hall of Fame is just as pathetic as Rolling Stones Top 100 Guitarists.

I never troll Noah I seriously think they suck. But as I said the Hall of Fame is pathetic. Isn't Joan Jett in there? Bands like The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and other greats should not have these small time bands included with them.

Not a huge fan of Nirvana, have one song that I like, but surprised that Deep Purple didn't get in.

if you think Nirvana will go down as small time in the history of music then I dont know what to tell you...

the absolute all-time greats are peerless period.  they dont need some list to bound them together in some category or set of greats... the hall of fame is just a fun formal recognition ritual... for that matter i wouldnt even include pink floyd on such a petty list as one that includes the who or the stones (although I love both of them) ;-)... but you see that is absurd... because then i would be injecting my own personal bias into it.  Objectively, there is no doubt that Nirvana should be in the set or category of all-time great rock bands.

It's the "Hall of Fame" not the "Hall of the greatest bands in the world and if you disagree with me they should not be there."

The fact that everyone has different tastes is what makes music great, so why be so divisive?

Were they famous? Yes
Were they on top of the world? Yes
Was Kurt the voice of a generation? Yes
Does this mean people will love them or hate them? Yes
Will people continue to call them geniuses or hacks? Yes
It's music!!!

Proud marine Dad when is the last time you listened to the album Nevermind all the way through?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpR7iZMGu9I

All good points guys and music is subjective. No Noah I can't even listen to Smells like Team Spirit let alone an entire album of theirs. They are not my cup of tea sorry. It must be a generation gap thing. I am a classic rock guy for the most part and I don't see much talent in most other bands. As a guitarist I am critical of music and if I don't think the band's musicians are good I don't really care for them.

I understand your point as well, but is takes more than good musicianship to make a great band. No one ever said they were some of the most skilled musicians ever. In fact they aren't. Grohl is pretty damn good but no one is going to call Kurt a guitar virtuoso. But that's not the point. There are many ingredients to a song... to a band... to an album... and to fame. Musicianship is one of those elements. Figure out the puzzle and you have success.

Generational prejudice, got it. :party:

Im a progressive rock guy myself... but i still like Nirvana... and they are nearly as far as you can get from prog...

JayT said:
They personally launched a new genre of music.  Definitely deserving.

Not hardly.

Grunge was around in Seattle long before Nirvana.

You never heard of Soundgarden or Mudhoney?

I was playing Pike Place Market in the mid 80's and we didn't call it grunge. 

We just called it music.

Proud Marine Dad said:
All good points guys and music is subjective. No Noah I can't even listen to Smells like Team Spirit let alone an entire album of theirs. They are not my cup of tea sorry. It must be a generation gap thing. I am a classic rock guy for the most part and I don't see much talent in most other bands. As a guitarist I am critical of music and if I don't think the band's musicians are good I don't really care for them.

as a drummer,guitarist,bass player. im very very very subjective. very subjective.  nirvana for sure needs to be in the hall of fame!      we are not talking about who can run the fastest scale,or who can do the fastest quad on the drums with to sevenths behind.  this is about being in the hall of fame.

if you cant see why nirvana should be in the hall of fame thats just because that sound wasnt something that meant something to you in a certain period of time.  basically im saying your just too old ;)    just as im too young to have had my kiss army card.    dont get mad at the old im just ribbing :cheers:

texas blues said:

Not hardly.

Grunge was around in Seattle long before Nirvana.

You never heard of Soundgarden or Mudhoney?

I was playing Pike Place Market in the mid 80's and we didn't call it grunge. 

We just called it music.
you got some problem with mentioning the MELVINS !     you hippy grass eating, birkenstock stealing, thumb ring waring old fart :rofl:  :rofl:   

;)  ;)

sicman said:

if you cant see why nirvana should be in the hall of fame thats just because that sound wasnt something that meant something to you in a certain period of time.  basically im saying your just too old ;)    just as im too young to have had my kiss army card.    dont get mad at the old im just ribbing :cheers:
 You hit the nail on the head my friend. I didn't have a KISS Army card but every wall of my bedroom was covered in KISS posters and I mean COVERED!
My buddy Mark who was our drummer had more than me. I think he had something like 42 KISS posters. :cool:
I grew up during the peak of bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, KISS, Journey, Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd, UFO, Rush, etc. etc.
Now those were bands with talent! :P

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Inc. is the nonprofit organization that exists to educate visitors, fans and scholars from around the world about the history and continuing significance of rock and roll music. It carries out this mission through its operation of a world-class museum that collects, preserves, exhibits and interprets this art form and through its library and archives as well as its educational programs.

Nirvana is surely significant in RnR history, that can't be denied.

Once you understand their mission, the inductees make sense.

Back