Hello from Stayner, Ontario Canada

I am a grandmother of 5 boys, mother of 4 daughters, 1 son. Married almost 40 years. I had a wine making shop in my house/commercial zoned building for 10 years and sold the business a few months ago. I took the shop part and turned it into a separate kitchen and have been making all kinds of fun stuff, just like I did when the kids were little and we couldn't afford an awful lot.  I used to be out picking crabapples, chokecherries, strawberries, etc and making food. But now I'm planning to sell at markets. I've made a lot of red pepper jellies, with and without hot peppers, along with the jams.  Everything so far I've made has pectin in it and I hot water bath can it, so making hot sauce is a new venture, but I'm always looking to try new and exciting recipes. This fermentation aspect intrigues me. Lots of good info here!

Well hello there, from about 20 minutes up the road from you, in Collingwood :dance:

Was that your shop just down from the fish and chip place, on hwy 26?

Hi to everyone, thanks for the welcome! Yes, that was my shop with the sign outside of the girl stomping grapes, I called her Lucy. :) She's now down at the end of the beach. Good to meet you, Penny! Couldn't get much closer.

Hey from Toronto, I pass through Stayner quite a bit on my way up to the Lake Huron tribs (Big Head, Beaver, Saugeen) I'm not familiar with the town all that much, outside of the Timmies but if you are planning on making some hot sauces I'll be sure to stop by    :welcome:

That's awesome, and I do remember your sign out front....heck I should, I passed it 3-4 times a week, still do actually, I make deliveries for my husband in Barrie.

Is that your husband who does the inspections now? If so, I saw him this past summer, he did one on the house next door, when it sold in June.

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes! Yes that's my husband's picture now and he does the home inspections, and I get to play in the kitchen trying all kinds of fun stuff. I would like to try growing a few peppers this summer, hoping that the rabbits don't like them, and leave them alone. Any suggestions as to what grows well in this zone?

That's great that your so close....I was actually by your house yesterday, had to go to Barrie, and of course forgot what I was going to get in the first place!! So my husband and I are heading over again early in the morning, need to hit the mall...I know, crazy right!!

Let me see what I have for seeds, I know I'll have some to share, are you looking for sweet, mild, hot? Or a mixture?

Barrie will be nuts today, welcome to the Bayfield parking lot! :) I think hot, and mild. I can buy a bushel of the red local pretty reasonable cost. So you start the seeds inside? I've never done good with that, but I did see a system over in Barrie for hydroponic growing that costs about $50 to set up with lights and domes, sounds pretty reasonable. I don't have good light here in my 170 yr old small window house.

Back