• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cap's 2014 Grow - OW's taking over, little ones started

It's almost time for the new year which means an exciting start to a new growing season!

I've gone through my seeds and have selected the following for new starts in 2014:

Bubblegum 7 (KingDenniz)
"KDU" - KingDenniz Unknown - I think it may be another BBG7, but I'm not sure. Was an unlabeled half pod with the rest of the seeds I got from him.
MoA Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
FtL Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
7 Pot Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - These were some of the most neon yellow pods I've seen.
TSMB Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)
Douglah [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - Gnarly looking pods from this one
Bhut Jolokia Assam [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)

Here they all are taking a bath:
11487446663_90f3cc6f98_c.jpg

I'm going to attempt sprouting them on coffee filters in plastic bags sitting on top of my router and cable modem to stay warm. Have a thermometer on top of it and it is giving a consistent ~80F so I figured it is the best spot in my apt. to start these.

I don't have the highest expectations on the seeds I saved from Matt since it was the first time I've attempted to save any seeds. The TSMB-Y seeds weren't looking that great. Time will tell.
I'm also excited that some of these weren't isolated and there is a possibility of some cool crosses coming out of it. I'll probably keep 2-3 of each to see what I end up with.

On top of this I have a bunch of over winters that I thought were my best plants, or my only ones of a particular species, along with some late starts. Here they all are cozy inside after fighting one of the most epic aphid battles they've been in. I swear you could hear the aphids yelling "BATTLE STATIONS!!! PYRETHRIN INCOMMMMMINGGG!!!!" and they would swarm to where I missed a spot. They are relentless but under control now so we will see who survives the winter. 

11487336935_a25b8c82ac_c.jpg

Not everyone is looking that happy after the aphids so I may have to get a light rigged up instead of relying on the south facing window. It will add a little warmth which would help them out.

I'm really hoping that one or two BBG7 come out healthy by the end of the season since I have some plans for crosses with it.

Lots of ow's this year I see.  Good luck with the aphid battles.  Espicially indoor battles are nasty.  I usually have lots of ow's but only 3 to 5 this year.  I'm sure with light yours will be happy in no time.

I forgot to mention that one of my defenses against the aphids was to cut the plants way back (6 to 8 inches above soil) removing the succulant foilage they desire.  More managable new growth will appear with window or light.

Best of luck!

Mike

I'm fighting Aphids on my OW's which are either in the shop or on the driveway. You're right they suck, literally.

I did see a lady bug on one when I moved them back in the shop, so that's good.

Good luck with the new season!

capsidadburn said:
Lots of ow's this year I see.  Good luck with the aphid battles.  Espicially indoor battles are nasty.  I usually have lots of ow's but only 3 to 5 this year.  I'm sure with light yours will be happy in no time.

Best of luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike. These are my first OWs. The indoor battle was tough but I hope I have it under control now.
Devv said:
I'm fighting Aphids on my OW's which are either in the shop or on the driveway. You're right they suck, literally.

I did see a lady bug on one when I moved them back in the shop, so that's good.

Good luck with the new season!
Nice! Ladybugs help a lot! Unfortunately unless I get some online and release them inside I don't have any good guys to help me out. 

Pinoy83 said:
pests in general suckssss...i hate themm, and thats lots of heat for you this coming grow season... :fireball:

It sure is! I may be going up in flames!!

rhm3769 said:
Interesting idea on keeping seeds seperate for the soak, might have to copy that.... a lot easier than 40 different cups....
Thanks. I was looking around my apt. trying to think of a quick way to soak them all as I didn't feel like using 8 different tupperware, cups or something else. Just be careful as they do float out of the filters.

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice! How long you gonna let them soak?
Thanks. I let them soak overnight, probably around 16hrs by the time I pulled them out.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Lots of OW going there.  Wish you well in your bug battle.
Thanks Jeff. It's going well so far. I OW'd so many since I didn't get pods from a lot of those varieties this past season.

Capsicum Select said:
Thanks. I was looking around my apt. trying to think of a quick way to soak them all as I didn't feel like using 8 different tupperware, cups or something else. Just be careful as they do float out of the filters.

Thanks. I let them soak overnight, probably around 16hrs by the time I pulled them out.

Thanks Jeff. It's going well so far. I OW'd so many since I didn't get pods from a lot of those varieties this past season.

I will end up doing more OW going forward as well.  Can't see starting Manzano peppers from scratch all the time.  I should have OW my big bomb hybrids this year since they performed the best ever and being a hybrid it would be cost effective.

HillBilly Jeff said:

I will end up doing more OW going forward as well.  Can't see starting Manzano peppers from scratch all the time.  I should have OW my big bomb hybrids this year since they performed the best ever and being a hybrid it would be cost effective.
Definitely. Some of those take forever to grow but I hear they are some of the best peppers for flavor. I would try to keep one or two OW'd that you like the best.

Devv said:
I just stopped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
PaulG said:
Hey, Cap - looking good.  
Just wanted to say Merry Christmas
to you and your family.
Thanks Devv and PaulG! A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

Well I went to check on the seeds to make sure temps and everything were fine, which they were but some of the coffe filters seemed to have dried out quite a bit. I quickly soaked everyone again. I hope that they didn't get too dry that it killed them or anything. I will sow some into dirt the way I've done it in the past and have been successful just in case.

Cap, I would'nt stress to much about the filters drying out.  Imagine what a natural setting is like for a seed and it most certainly goes thru cycles of moisture and dryness. 

I see you've got some Goji berries (Goose) going.  I germinated an army of those a few years back.  I wound up with 4 plants in the ground going into their 3rd or 4th year now.  Still waiting on some fruit though.  Could just be my conditions not being ideal.  I like what I've read about them being good for blood flow.  My Father had circulation issues so I wanted to check them out.  I've bought dried Goji's before here at Central Market in Austin.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

capsidadburn said:
Cap, I would'nt stress to much about the filters drying out.  Imagine what a natural setting is like for a seed and it most certainly goes thru cycles of moisture and dryness. 

I see you've got some Goji berries (Goose) going.  I germinated an army of those a few years back.  I wound up with 4 plants in the ground going into their 3rd or 4th year now.  Still waiting on some fruit though.  Could just be my conditions not being ideal.  I like what I've read about them being good for blood flow.  My Father had circulation issues so I wanted to check them out.  I've bought dried Goji's before here at Central Market in Austin.

Happy Holidays!

Mike
Thanks Mike. I probably am being a bit over worried with it. You are right that in nature they would go through swings like that. There is no way they have started to sprout yet either and that's when I would really be concerned since that could legit kill them.

Thanks for noticing the gooseberries too. They are actually cape gooseberries though not goji berries. They are like a miniature sweet tomatillo. Saved the seeds from getting them at the farmers market. Goji berries are really good though. That's really interesting about their health benefits. I'll have to look into them more and maybe grow some!

Decided to scrap the coffee filters in the plastic bags for germination. Was running into a couple problems with them of 1)grey mold growing on some and 2) the one on the bottom was actually drying out. So I went to my known tried and true method into dirt (50/50 Ocean Forest / Vermiculite) in a humidity dome. I put a heat pad underneath as well since my apartment is a little on the cold side especially at night. Before I did this I washed them off with 3% H202. 

11608008055_fd76101416_z.jpg

Also added some Giant Jalapeno and Big Sun Habanero seeds   :lol: 

I like the coffee filters for soaking but I just don't seem to have the right touch for actual germination on them.

White Bhut OW truckin along:
11608237883_d277e52ec6_z.jpg

Back