• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media What is the advantage of repotting repeatedly?

A lot of commercial growers do only go to large pots, and they have the space to do so. The room I start seeds in (and also overwinter in) is too small for many large pots. Also, we have a rather short growing season. Combo of small room and short season means I try to keep them as small as possible until the weather warms up. At the same time, some varieties do outgrow the pots they're in, so must be moved up to an intermediate pot. The number of plants you are starting makes a diff, too. My largest grow was 48 plants from seed - no way I had room in my house for that many in large pots.

^what he said. I always heard that the nutrients in the soil and the ferts you're watering with or whatever would mostly be wasted because the roots aren't that far down to reach all of them. Plus, I think it helps the plant grow bigger quicker. I have no scientific reason for that, just in my experience. I've been repotting plants and got lazy and just moved a seedling into a 5 gallon straight from a 4 X 4 pot and it grew much slower than the others that were "stepped up" to bigger pots.

Hydro to start, small pots to root, final planting when rootbound.
In my experience, once they are in something a gallon or larger, and are fairly large, the stress of transplanting outweighs the benefits.

Does not apply to overwinters. (I.E. dormant for a few months)

rhm3769 said:
I would also add in, depending on the soil used, it limits soil compaction....
Yep. The fresh loose soil makes the roots wanna stretch out more. All of the above are correct as well. Potting up is a good practice to adhere to.

I'm with Jamie on this. Root rot is a bitch, especially indoors. I lost a few plants to that last year. The roots will just sit in saturated soil and can't draw up the moisture fast enough. I keep them in smaller pots now until the roots are large enough to take the soil with it when you transplant. 

As a rookie in my first year of chili growing, I missed out on this gem of information and went straight from seedling to very large pot. 

While not essential, it seems to be quite important as others have noted above, in summary:

1.  Encourages root growth = quicker plant growth, which can be key in areas with a short grow seasons.
2.  Healthier root balls = reduced risk of root rot.
3.  Space saving.
4.  More economical use of fertilizers / water.
5.  Limits soil compaction (some soils).

IMO a 4th pinned post that covers potting up would be useful on here.  Could also be combined with some decent photos to explain how to identify when a good time to pot up is.  

Pretty much what everyone above said about the need to pot up in increments. The first time I tried skipping a few pot sizes I ended up with a chili plant that had great growth in the top, but a root structure that couldn't really support it .

The general rule of thumb when potting up is to wait until the roots are poking out the bottom, then use a pot that's double in size.

Back