• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead's 2014 Glog - Nuclear Destruction

Hello Everyone!

Thought it would be a great idea to start my glog. :P
I am going to start my seeds this year earlier, which will be the 31st of December.
As the topic title indicates, this year is not going to be childplay, thanks to Rick (stickman) and Conor (Saugapepper) who shared some real kick-ass peppers with me.
I am stil using my T5 lamp with a 59 cm long special grow-bulb (Osram Fluora 18W), but I am in the process to create a bigger grow box, to satisfy the needs of the plants. I know it is not the best setup, but according to my experience it is just enough till we get enough sunlight (from April).
I am planning to sow 5 seeds per each variety, starting with the Chinenses first, using plant trays. ( I have the 7 Pot Burgundy from two source, which means 10 seeds :P )

Here is my list for 2014:

7 Pot Savannah
7 Pot Burgundy
7-pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Douglah Alphanerdz-strain
SBJ7 (scotch bonnet-Jonah-7)
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Black Naga
Naga Morich
Red Naga
Not Yellow Bhut
Funky Reapers
Jays Peach x TS
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
TS Brainstrain (red)
TS Brainstrain (yellow)
Brown Moruga Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Magnum Orange Habanero
Maya Red Habanero
Red Habanero
Numex Poblano
Holy Mole' Hybrid Pasilla
Serrano Tampiqueno

I hope you will enjoy my glog this year!

Balázs

Devv said:
Nice list Balázs!

Good luck with 2014 and have a Happy New Year!
Hi Scott,

Thank you, I wish you a Happy New Year, too!

chilli whisperer said:
Great list Balázs! Good luck with your season! :P
Thank you! :P

stickman said:
Good luck with your 2014 grow Balázs, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out to see how it goes. Cheers!
Thank you, Rick! :-)

Spicegeist said:
Great list!  Funky Reapers?  That's a funny name... can't wait to see how everything turns out!
Thank you! Funky Reaper seeds are from Scott (Devv), who was growing Caroline Reaper peppers, and named those 'Funky' which were not growing true to form.
Scott, am I right? :P

:P
HillBilly Jeff said:
Thats a nice looking list.
Thank you. I checked yours and you also have some nice varieties. :P

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice list! Looking forward to following along!
Thank you! :P

This year I am trying to eliminate the three factors which are making the life of my peppers harder:
- hailstorms
- sun damage
- lack of rains

My parents offered 2 x 10 meters from their growing space (supported by stalks and net, with drip irrigation system in place) in addition to the one I was having in the last years.
Why it is good for my peppers?
With the drip irrigation system we can water them sparingly, efficiently, with minimal effort, and we can fertilize them whenever we want.
The rows are 1.4 m far from each other, meaning, that I can setup an additional row between the two, pretty easily, planting them in chessboard style, which will enable me to plant approx 60 plants there.
Using the stalks, we can put on the shading net I have purchased, which will protect the plants from the extreme sunlight.
Since the fabric of this net is quite dense, it can also protect my plants from the hailstorms.

Let's see the pictures now (made by my phone, so sorry about the quality)

This is how it looks like now, rows are 50 meters long, stalks are in every 5 meters.

This is the 10 meters I'd get for my peppers:

We have some blackberry plants in the first 5 meters of the 3rd row..I might consider to move them next to the fence, to have more space to play :P 

Drip irrigation system is hanging 20 cm above the soil level. It is a little bit scaly now, but still works pretty well. Now it is attached to directly to the tap, but we are going to setup a small barell to an approx 2 m stage in which we can mix the fertilizers with water, and that can be also attached to this system

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Nice garden, Balázs.  Looking forward to seeing it full!
We've got a few of the same varieties, so will be watching
to see what I should be doing!  Good luck, brother!

Happy New Year!

stickman said:
Oh yeah... I can tell you're gonna have a great season this year Balázs! Keep the pics coming! :dance:
Thank you, my friend! I hope your crystal ball will be right! :)
Happy New Year!

PaulG said:
Nice garden, Balázs.  Looking forward to seeing it full!
We've got a few of the same varieties, so will be watching
to see what I should be doing!  Good luck, brother!

Happy New Year!
Thanks, Paul! It will be interesting to see how it goes for you.
Happy New Year!

maximumcapsicum said:
Very cool setup. Nice row. And nice irrigation system. What is the climate like where you'll be working? How often will you need to run the irrigation?
Thanks. Hungary has a continental climate, meaning that the last frosts can be till the mid of May, and having a hot summer, highs in July and August. In these two months we can have 40 Celsius degrees temps for weeks, therefore irrigation/watering is a must.
Happy New Year!

Balázs

Hello Everyone!

Today I had some free time, and built a grow box to the peppers.
This year I wanted a bigger one, so I saved the box in which the kitchen hood arrived. (it is approx 63cm in all dimensions-->approx 2 feet)
If all goes well, this evening I am going to soak the seeds in weak camomile teak for tonight.

The foil I purchased. It has bubbles, so it will keep the heat inside the box

My first idea was to use last year's setup

Then I changed my mind...the frame took a lot os space from the box

Trying out the foil

I was using some glue, plus duck-tape on the edges

Work is done (at least almost)

This year I am using a bamboo stick to hold the lamp

Ready to fire :-)

Closeup

Thanks for watching!

Balázs

I like it Balázs... that's a nice-looking roll-your-own grow box! I take it you're gonna have it upstairs where it's warm? Closing the flaps on top of the box will trap the waste heat from the lamp inside and should warm up the space inside another 5 degrees C.

PaulG said:
Sweet grow box, Balázs!

Thanks, Paul! :-) It took me 2 hours to prepare it. It is not that hard, I am just sloooow :P
stickman said:
I like it Balázs... that's a nice-looking roll-your-own grow box! I take it you're gonna have it upstairs where it's warm? Closing the flaps on top of the box will trap the waste heat from the lamp inside and should warm up the space inside another 5 degrees C.
Thanks Rick! That is a great idea, but it will stay downstairs in the empty room we have there. I was covering even the top with this alu-bubble-mirror thing, so by closing it, it generates a real nice warm inside. Now I am testing it with a thermometer to see what temps the lamp generates, because it would be ideal to reach the 25-28 Celsius for germination. If the lamp is not enough (since there is no heat mat available in Hungary for gardening), I can still use my reptile heat mat to warm up the box, and to keep it warm...the only issue is that there is no thermostat on it, so I have to play with it a little bit to find the good temp range.

I am soaking the seeds now in weak camomile tea. I am using this method, because camomile is a good way to kill any harmful bacteria on the seeds, and can also be good to avoid damping off. (at least it worked for me)

I have soaked 118 seeds in total :P 

I wish a Happy New Year to every THP member, may you get everything you want, and find the success and happyness in growing peppers and in your life as well! :onfire: 

Balázs

Hi Balázs,

Glad to see you're cranking things up!

The extra garden space is a real bonus, and the soil looks great!

Like the grow box! It should get things going for sure.

Have a safe and happy New Years!

Nice grow box setup! Kind of jealous. I am considering getting some mylar film to surround mine in... depends on what kind of light I end up going with. Right now I am thinking of sticking some splitters in a standard incandescent clamp light and using 3-4 cool white CFLs.

Back