• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Stuffed Poblanos

The wife and I are lucky that we can pick up fresh Poblanos at the local market pretty cheap.  I've thought about growing them since I like them so much but they are readily available pretty cheap here.  Also, they never are really prolific - at least for me.

004.jpg

We like to stuff them with either ground beef (below) or ground pork with pepper jack or extra sharp cheddar (below).  I'm Type 1 and have to watch the carbs.  I can eat these and take very little insulin.  One of my favorites for stuffed peppers and the wife likes them too!

Of course I have to add my favorite sauce or powder.

Enjoy!

Bob

003-1.jpg

That dish looks fantastic!  To answer your question though, I grew them twice, and won't again.  Like you said they are really not prolific at all, and I am not giving up my growspace for something I can buy so cheap at the local farmer's market.  I do love poblanos though.

You're right JT - for flavor these are wonderful.. You're not going to get the heat everyone seems to crave these days but what the hay. That's why we have hot sauce. The main criteria is they're good and the wife actually cooks these. After getting reamed about how many dishes I've "screwed" up that's a huge change here.

Thanks for the comment TB - I try to follow all of the stuff you cook - I've got some new meals I'm going to try for sure.

Don't kid yourself Bob.

Your post and final pic are as goodern' as any damn 'thang posted on THP.

There's onliest about a 10,000 viewers on THP that would shove that sheeit right into their mouth's.

I'm at the top of the list.

I would eat that whole pan of stuffed peppers in 15 seconds. Through a straw!

Poblanos are the Green bells of our house. I grow them but just for fun and only get enough each year for 1 batch of Rellenos. The guy at the farmers market has them in the fall for ¢.25 each and they are huge. Like the size of a small boat!

Yeah Scoville - we use them in lieu of green bells for stuffing. I'm just glad the markets around here have them cheap because I don't have the grow space to grow peppers without good yield.

I do like Rellenos ALOT! Guess I need to search around the forum for a recipe.

Roast poblanos over the grill or in the oven until the skin turns black. Place in paper bag for about 10-15 minutes to soften the skin, then remove the skin from the peppers. Cut as small a slit as possible down the side of the pepper and carefully cut the seed pod from the stem inside the pepper and remove seeds. Stuff some with refried beans and pepper jack cheese, and stuff some with fried up chorizo and cheddar cheese. Take 1-2 toothpicks and lace the slit shut. Place on a tray in the freezer for about 20 minutes to a half hour. Put some flour in a pie pan and mix up the batter... Soda water and tempura batter. Don't over mix the batter because you want the fizzy bubbles in the batter. Get your deep fryer up to about 365° F. Dredge the semi-frozen peppers in the flour, then into the batter and deep fry for about 4-5 minutes until very light golden brown.

Easy simple awesome Red Relleno sauce...
1/2 C. Chopped onion
1Tbs whole oregano
2Tbs Peanut or Corn oil
2-1/2 -3 Cups Tomato Sauce
I add some Red Savina powder.
Bring all ingredients just to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes you can put in a blender or use a stick blender, or just serve as-is.

Top your Relleno with sauce, enjoy, and let everybody praise your meal of the gods.

Bob,
Poblanos do not grow prolifickly here in central Fl either.  The growing season when it is mild is too short to set large quantities of blooms and pods, so we just get ours from the local IGA market.  We have a fairly large population of migrant Mexican and Guatemalan  farmers who insure that the local store keeps a lot of ethnic food that suits them.  We always have Anchos, Serranos, Jalapeno's, and Poblano's.  As well as chili's in adobo sauce and  south American seasonings.  I have gotten several recipes from some of the wives and they definitely know how to stretch a dollar and make some tasty dishes.

Wheelchair Bob

I've grown them too. Not as prolific for the effort I prefer going to the farmers market and getting them on demand. I agree with Scovie where  "I would eat that whole pan of stuffed peppers in 15 seconds. Through a straw!"

Back