• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

Great little list of peppers, can't wait to see them under your set up.
You have a nice selection of 7 pot and trinadad varieties, by the amount of peppers you must have a nice large garden?

John, your list is great and massive! I look forward to watching your progress. Always dreaming of my own in ground grow space! I am in exactly the same situation where I'll be giving a lot away and reducing the quantity of the remaining to be sowed. I sill have a few coming too! I hope I am not to late but I had decided to share some F3 pod seeds of the Douglah cross I have been growing out. I dropped them in the mail yesterday and would expect you to receive them the day after New year's. I understand if you do not have spare room, my apologies. I will send you a pm as well which I should have already done.

Happy New Year to you and Best of luck in 2014!

Mike

wildseed57 said:
Great little list of peppers, can't wait to see them under your set up.
You have a nice selection of 7 pot and trinadad varieties, by the amount of peppers you must have a nice large garden?
Thanks, George.  I have roughly 5000 sq. ft. in the existing garden space, though bamboo is encroaching pretty seriously into one corner.  I've got at least that much more available for potted plants, but am considering turning some of that space over to in-grounds, too.

capsidadburn said:
John, your list is great and massive! I look forward to watching your progress. Always dreaming of my own in ground grow space! I am in exactly the same situation where I'll be giving a lot away and reducing the quantity of the remaining to be sowed. I sill have a few coming too! I hope I am not to late but I had decided to share some F3 pod seeds of the Douglah cross I have been growing out. I dropped them in the mail yesterday and would expect you to receive them the day after New year's. I understand if you do not have spare room, my apologies. I will send you a pm as well which I should have already done.

Happy New Year to you and Best of luck in 2014!

Mike
Hey, Mike, thanks for stopping in.  Yeah, I'm for sure going to grow some the wilds/chiltepins/small-podded varieties you sent me earlier in the year.  The only one I successfully grew this year is the Amarillo Chiltepin.  I have to look to see which others I still have seed for.

I'll make room for the F3.  What is it like?  I know I sent you some seeds already, but if you see anything else you'd like to try, just let me know.
HillBilly Jeff said:
You need a few more 7 pots, but other than that, great looking list  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Lol, yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  (not!)

Delicious looking list, Saw.
Love me some 7 pots.
Now that the sun has turned around I'm chompin' at the bit to get poppin'
Looks like you too :D
Good Luck, My Friend.

Thanks, guys.  I've got more interesting varieties yet to add.  Somewhere, somehow, I have to cut some varieties from the line-up, but I sure don't know where or how.  Every variety has its own special desirable characteristics and they all seem to grow well, given proper care.  With the grains I've played with, some them just drop dead, which makes the decision to cut a lot easier.

Thanks, guys.  Good luck to you as well.

I know everyone is looking forward to 2014, but if you want to see a recent picture of fresh pods, you should check out my last post in my 2013 glog.  They were picked from my "front room" OWs last Sunday.  Some of the browns are going into a sauce attempt today.  (Cooked, not fermented.)

Thanks, Penny, and likewise, good luck to you in 2014.  Hopefully those seeds show up in the coming week.  If not, I'll send out some replacements.

Well, shoot, five days into the new year and I'm already behind.  Behind on everyone else's glogs and behind on my own plan to sow seeds on the 1st.  I did at least get a dozen 72-cell nursery flats filled with mix and brought inside.  Eight of them are already in place in the heated germination stand and four will go into the unheated secondary growth stand (and be planted with non-peppers).  You may remember the germination stand from last year:
14cz5zp.jpg

This thing is ancient, relatively speaking, dating back to '97.  I have plans for a much improved version, and most of the materials to build it, but this one will serve at least one more year.  Yes, the lights are T12s, but they work fine for germination.  As bulbs and fixtures burn out, I'll replace them with T8s (or LEDs).

Heating pads are under the flats on both levels, connected in series with inexpensive dimmer switches to give me manual control of temperature.  I've layered aluminum foil and kraft paper between the pads and the flats to reduce hot spots and on the top shelf have the flats further elevated on upturned mesh flats.  I'll probably do that on the bottom, too.

I got stalled last Wednesday, because rather than start with all-new flats, I decided to multi-task and start cleaning up used flats from a failed 2012 (non-pepper) retail effort.  (That's a whole 'nother story not worth going into here.)  Anyway, the used flats all had some mix already in them, but all needed topping off with Fafard's Ultrafine Superfine Germinating Mix.  I'm not happy about using "Ultrafine", but it's what I have.  Parts of some flats were bone dry, others standing in water and/or frozen solid.  They've been sitting inside ever since, covered, to let the temperatures and moisture levels equalize.  They'll get sprayed with a mild bleach solution today.  Hopefully, planting will start in earnest tomorrow.

Edited to add link to Fafard's Superfine (not Ultrafine) Germinating Mix

Back