• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chipotle Sauce

Hi -

I've been making this for several years - it's the only sauce I've made that I really like.  It's very versatile and can be used as a dip for chips or added to whatever you want to add chipotle flavor to.  I like to make it in small batches - this one was about 2 pints and I canned it so my son could take it back to FSU.  He really can go through it.

Of course you start with smoked red ripe jalapenos.  I grow a few but really rely on the Mexicans at the flea market as my source - they always have nice red jalapenos.  I smoke them over pecan for about 5 hours and finish them off in a dehydrator before freezing them.  I know they're not chipotles in the traditional sense, but what the hay.  They freeze very well and I always have some on stock.

I put the ingredients together in a small sauce pan and simmer for a couple of hours until the jalapenos are soft.  Then I take them out and remove the stems.  Then I food process the chipotles and add back to the sauce pan.  It's usually at this point I add the catsup - about 2 tablespoons.  I'll simmer the mixture about an hour being careful to add water or vinegar as needed for consistency.

One ingredient not shown is the sea salt.  I probably added about 2 teaspoons to this batch.

I know some may not like seeds but they work for - I actually like them in this sauce.

Then I add to the sterilized jars and listen for the lids to pop.

I hope you try it - very tasty and simple to do.

Bob

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

008.jpg

015.jpg

I use about 2 tablespoons for the minced garlic, brown sugar, and catsup. Also, about 2 teaspoons of sea salt. I estimate 1 cup of the apple cider vinegar and the same for the initial water at the beginning. I do add water as needed for consistency. I use about a quarter of an onion chopped. When Vidalia sweet onions are in season, I prefer those.

Another variation I've done is to add some smoked Caribbean Reds or 7 Pots to the mixture though I prefer just the chipotles.

Bob

That looks good Bob. I'm going to have to give it a try.
When you say you smoke the jalapenos for 5 hours, am I correct to assume that you're doing it at normal smoking temps (220-240 F), or are you cold smoking them?

Hey Bob_B! I hope you're still active on here. I have a couple questions for you. First, did you come up with this recipe yourself or did you find it somewhere else? I made this with some of my red jalapenos from my garden this year and it was so delicious. Only smoked the peppers for about 2.5 hours though, but was still pretty smokey.

Bpoole - I actually did develop this sauce myself and have been making it for about 10 years.  It actually is a good start for Datil sauce if you replace the chipotles with Datils.  I am also going to try out some smoked Manzano peppers I have.  What's cool about for me is the simplicity - once you have the chipotles which are easy to bag and freeze, one can make this in small batches.  I usually make about 2-3 half pints at a time and they don't last long.  It can be added to guacamole, red beans and rice, red sauce, etc.  It's very versatile.

I have some late season jalapenos in my garden and will give this recipe a try. I have around 3-4 dozen. I just put my smoker away for the season but I will bust it back out and make some this weekend.

Bob_B said:
Hi -

I've been making this for several years - it's the only sauce I've made that I really like.  It's very versatile and can be used as a dip for chips or added to whatever you want to add chipotle flavor to.  I like to make it in small batches - this one was about 2 pints and I canned it so my son could take it back to FSU.  He really can go through it.

Of course you start with smoked red ripe jalapenos.  I grow a few but really rely on the Mexicans at the flea market as my source - they always have nice red jalapenos.  I smoke them over pecan for about 5 hours and finish them off in a dehydrator before freezing them.  I know they're not chipotles in the traditional sense, but what the hay.  They freeze very well and I always have some on stock.

I put the ingredients together in a small sauce pan and simmer for a couple of hours until the jalapenos are soft.  Then I take them out and remove the stems.  Then I food process the chipotles and add back to the sauce pan.  It's usually at this point I add the catsup - about 2 tablespoons.  I'll simmer the mixture about an hour being careful to add water or vinegar as needed for consistency.

One ingredient not shown is the sea salt.  I probably added about 2 teaspoons to this batch.

I know some may not like seeds but they work for - I actually like them in this sauce.

Then I add to the sterilized jars and listen for the lids to pop.

I hope you try it - very tasty and simple to do.

Bob

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

008.jpg

015.jpg

Old post I know but I have to give this one a try! looks good, thanks for sharing.

Back