• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music What are your favorite electric guitar strings?

Just curious as to what strings you electric guitarists prefer. I haven't tried a lot of strings but at the moment my favorites are D'Addario XL110s (10-46).
I have a set of D'Addario Nickel Wound XL's EXL110W (.010-.046) that I am going to try on my SRV Strat.
They have a wound third string which I have never tried.

I like the ones .... Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Mark Knopfler, Pete Townsend, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Greg Lake, Alex Lifeson played (among others)

:party:

OhioHeat

i did dig 52's blue steel dean markley.  but i have only used power slinkys for the last 7 years!

Anything nickel wound sized 11-52. I have used everything from $2 sets to $60 sets and found that nickel wound is nickel wound, regardless of brand. The first thing I do when I buy a guitar is cut the nut for 11s and reset the action and intonation for them. If I remember correctly, monster-mitted SRV used 12s. That is pretty extreme to me, but 10s are just too "loose" for my style. They make me feel like I'm playing scared, afraid to fumble over my own fingers. Elevens give me more control, more confidence, and hide my flaws. If you have not tried them yet, do so. Big difference.

I've been a fan of the EXL-110s for going on 20 years now :)
Anything nickel wound sized 11-52. I have used everything from $2 sets to $60 sets and found that nickel wound is nickel wound, regardless of brand. The first thing I do when I buy a guitar is cut the nut for 11s and reset the action and intonation for them. If I remember correctly, monster-mitted SRV used 12s. That is pretty extreme to me, but 10s are just too "loose" for my style. They make me feel like I'm playing scared, afraid to fumble over my own fingers. Elevens give me more control, more confidence, and hide my flaws. If you have not tried them yet, do so. Big difference.

Just curious, but you play 24.75" or 25.5" scale? 10s are absolutely floppy on the shorter scales :p

OhioHeat said:
I like the ones .... Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Mark Knopfler, Pete Townsend, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Greg Lake, Alex Lifeson played (among others)

:party:

OhioHeat
There are several brands in there not just Ernie Ball. ;)
ms1476 said:
Stevie did use 13s at one point I believe but dropped down to 11s after his tech convinced him.

Just curious, but you play 24.75" or 25.5" scale? 10s are absolutely floppy on the shorter scales :p[/quote]

I play 24" and 25.5" bolt-on necks. I agree that 10s are just too loose on short-scales, drives me nuts hearing all that buzz.

I am surprised to only see one other person using D'Addario strings as they are fantastic and I have never had one break. They are also the largest string manufacturer in the world and are used by some great players including Joe Satriani. :)

D'Addarios are just fine.  I personally use GHS Boomers, usually 9s, even on my LP as well as my longer scale guitars.

True TB the D'Addarios are tough and the tone is incredible. I tried Blue Steel's once on my Carvin and broke a string within a week or so and I wasn't even bending them.

I just tried the D'Addario XL Chromes the other day on my Carvin. Horrible sound on this guitar so I threw them away and put the standard nickel XL110's back on.

Both my ESP and Ibanez have Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom 10-52 on them. Ibanez is in D standard and ESP is in drop C (I use a 56g for the low C).

Back