• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

So I discovered my propagators had been turned off by someone.   :shame:
Probably went about a week without heat. Hopefully it wont set them back too much. 

Germination so far:

Flexuosum  0/3
O'odham Chiltepin 3/3
Cobincho 0/3
Gusanito 0/3
Black Chilli 0/3
Dulce Dolor 2/3
Omnicolor 0/3
Trepadeira de Werner 0/3
Inca Red Drop 2/3
Bubba 1/3
Fatalii x Murupi Doce 0/3
CAP 267 0/3
El Oro de Ecuador 1/3
Aji Cristal 1/3
Heart Throb 3/3
Inca Berry 1/3
Guampinho de Veado 1/3
Sugar Rush 2/3
Malagueta 0/3
Pi281353 0/3
Galapogense 0/3
Tovari 0/3
Congo Red 2/3
7 Pod Primo 2/3
Naga Morich 1/3
Brasileira Maribomdo 1/3
Faria 3/3
Choc Bhut Jolokia 0/3
CARDI Yellow 0/3
MOA Bonnet 1/3
Fatalii 0/3
Habanero Brown Large 3/3
Beni Highlands 2/3
Antillais Caribean 2/3
7 Pot SR 2/3
Bode Amarelo 2/3
Fidalga 0/3
Yellow Fire 1/3
Harold St Barts 1/3
Katie 0/3
Beni Market 3/3
Orange Habanero 1/3
Pi585273 3/4
Turbo Pube 1/4
Locato 2/4

My germinating set up:

Pubescens reaching for the light a little

My overwintering bunch:

This Hot Lemon was a star performer in the greenhouse last year. It has a nice chunky stem. Hopefully it will survive. I havent sown any Hot Lemon seeds this year. Freezer is full of pods, but if this plant survives I'll still have a source of fresh pods for 2014.

This overwintering Aji Benito has started to put out pods.

A nice start to 2014 Ronan, and an ambitious list if you're planning on growing them all in the greenhouse you posted pics of last year. Good luck this season!

The Pubes and Baccatums probably won't have any problems with the time spent with no heat mat. The Frutascens don't like to be cold though, so they might take a little while longer. Are you starting your seeds in rockwool cubes?

stickman said:
A nice start to 2014 Ronan, and an ambitious list if you're planning on growing them all in the greenhouse you posted pics of last year. Good luck this season!

The Pubes and Baccatums probably won't have any problems with the time spent with no heat mat. The Frutascens don't like to be cold though, so they might take a little while longer. Are you starting your seeds in rockwool cubes?

Thanks Stickman. I will put less plants in the greenhouse this year. Last year I had 18 plants. This year 15. The rest will be spread over windowsills, a small polythene greenhouse shelter type thing I've put together, my small lean-to greenhouse. I'm also hoping to get a small tunnel for my allotment for a few more plants. Some plants, the annuums, the pubescens and wilds will be left to face the Irish "Summer".  :lol:

No sign of my two frutescens varieties yet. All my seeds are started in rockwool. Then transferred to soil or to bigger rockwool cubes. 

Plants are bushing out, creating quite a canopy now. Need to start giving some away. 

Have at least one plant of most of my varieties now. 
The only ones missing are:

CHOCOLATE BHUT - Failed to germinate
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Failed to germinate
FIDALGA - Failed to germinate
FATALII YELLOW – Failed to germinate
FLEXUOSUM – Failed to germinate
TOVARI - Failed to germinate
GUSANITO - Failed to germinate
PI 260567 - Fried my only seedling. :cry: 

The Fatalii failed to germinate for 3rd year running. I was expecting as much. Bad batch of seeds.  Next year I will get seeds from elsewhere, though I probably said that last year too.   :rolleyes:
Dont know about the other ones, but I only sowed three seeds of each. I wont sow any more. I have plenty of plants. I have a healthy looking overwintered CARDI, so happy about that. 
I'm still hoping that a Tovari will germinate, and also a Flexuosum to go with my overwintered one, although it has been 6 weeks!! :roll: 

On Sunday I sowed my Annuums. The final list was:
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A
CHIMAYO - USA
HINKLEHATZ - USA
FRESNO - USA
JALAPENO GAUCHO (DRH - 7400) - MEXICO/FINLAND

Things are moving fast. Have only given 4 plants away so far. Need to give away more.
Things are way too overcrowded under this light, some oedema and yellowing leaves:

More Rockwool baccatums:

Growbox:

Some of my soil plants.

Some more: 

Some of the more interesting varieties I'm growing this year:

O'odham Chiltepin

Galapogense

Cobincho
Wow. This is slow growing but other chacoense I've grown before have been the same.

Black Chilli (Chinense x Annuum). Don't know much about this.  I think it may be a cross by Junglerain. Looks more Annuum at the moment:

ronniedeb said:
Hey Spicegeist. Been busy lately, and neglectful of my plants and growlog. Photos coming soon!

ronniedeb said:
Hey Spicegeist. Been busy lately, and neglectful of my plants and growlog. Photos coming soon!

Cool! I bet you've got a jungle going by now!

stickman said:

Cool! I bet you've got a jungle going by now!
 Hey Stickman. Not quite. Been pruning them to keep them small until they are ready to go out. In the next few days hopefully. 
PIC 1 said:
Ronan hope things are well,... getting close to bringing your plants out for the sun ?

Hey. How are you? Putting them out in the next few days. Going away for a week so need to pot on and put the hydro plants in position.

Havent posted in a while. Also been neglecting other members' growlogs. My apologies. Finished my PhD in March and since I no longer sit in front of my laptop all day anymore, I dont have as much time for the forum! :lol: 

Getting back on track now and catching up with everyone's progress. 

Here are a few photos of my plants.

Black Chilli (chinense x annuum). I think this is a cross by Junglerain in Australia (this one: http://www.junglerain.com.au/chilli-seeds/hybrids/black-chilli-c-annuum-x-c-chinense-detail). He says it is superhot.

It threw out it's first flowers all tightly bunched at the top, like some of those asian annuums. Pods about to ripen now. 

More flowers forming lower down the stem. 

Had some problems with germination with the first few seeds of Jalapeno DRH7400, I sowed. My last two seeds germinated though. I put one in the hydro which is pretty slow to grow for whatever reason. This is the one in soil:

These two were some of the last plants I planted on from their rockwool cubes and they suffered for it. A bit squat and lopsided. A Naga Morich and a Congo Red.

This one was much the same, a 7 Pot SR

Beni Market. This variety looks a little like Peito de Moca, pod wise. The plant is also compact like PdeM.

Yellow Fire/ Charapita?

Bode Amarelo is super lanky

In the hydro, Orange Hab is doing well. Small plant (hopefully putting down lots of roots) but flowering and fruiting disproportionately.

Good Job Ronan! You're out ahead of me for sure. :)  We've been having a colder spring this year than we've had in decades, but things are still moving (slowly) along. Keep 'em green!

Back