• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

Welcome to the world of pepper propagation!

Looks like a good seed selection. And your temperature is perfect. Pepper germinate best with radiant heat from the bottom, seems strange but that's just their nature. Since you've already planted in individual containers you'd probably benefit from some type of covering to to keep that top layer of soil from drying out -clear plastic film, or bags, with rubber bands should work. It will cut down on the tendency to over-water, which is very easy to do.

Superhots seem to take at least a week and 2 weeks is not uncommon.
As soon as they pop through the surface they will need to be bathed in a very strong light source - 18-24 hrs per day for best results. Sunlight through one window will cause them to bend and stretch (not good at this stage especially). An artificial light no more than 5cm above the leaves is what most indoor growers here seem to do. 

Reading through the glogs here of growers with a couple of successful seasons to their credit  helped me the most, and the specific advice and questions answered from THP was priceless and saved me a lot of mistakes and time.

Enjoy! It's a very satisfying endeavor.
Good Luck for 2014!

Thanks guys!
I was actually thinking to cover them with something... I can however water them daily to prevent drying.
Nice to know 5 cm the artificial light, i hope to use it at least 12 hours at day or more (i've some iusses for this at home...).  At the moment here dawn is 7:52am and dusk 16:47pm so i hope to cover at least while sun is out in the beginning stage. No direct sunlight, window is in north.

Nice list Essegi!
I'm sure you will be pleased by Peter seeds quality as i'm always was. I will probably sow Choc Bhut from semillas as well this season, is the real deal and amazingly HOT.
I suggest you to put some transparent cover (eg. a transparent plastic box  turned upside down) on the glasses to keep them moist and warm easier.

Ciao!

Datil

Ciao Datil!
Surely at the moment i'm more than satisfied at the customer service Peter provided!
At the moment i'm not covering them, i just add water if needed. For the warmth i should have no problems: temps are around 30°C near the rightmost position of glasses.
Btw tomorrow i have more time and i could check for a proper cover!

Yeah, Peter is a nice guy, i've had a wrong seeds and he sent the right ones immediatly (so he made me kept wrong ones for free!). Excellent!
Btw my 5 firstborn!

ilHiOkJsE6JjC.jpg

inEIgGJYx94Ke.jpg

ioGRgdJlJaPcF.jpg

ixFfNtCpaV4QH.jpg

ibz11Bin4RCZAY.jpg

Tomorrow i can't turn on lights... Day after tomorrow i could... There's light from the window during the day... Hope it's not a problem...

Thanks!
Bad news: heathing system has stopped. Apart having possible issues with hot water, that sucks, and sucks badly. Technician should be here tomorrow. Temp is still 20°C. No new borns tonight.
Btw, i have attached an electrical radiator, i believe it's quite greedy... Now on max power, later i'll see temps...
And light. At the moment i have attached it a bit high, i fear otherwise to cover bad peripheral glasses... I can adjust this however.

Some pics (and funny method to hang light):

iR5Oi2BiimaOA.jpg

inbXtYL9RDLo4.jpg

iAUWxzu6ayL77.jpg

ibehZpLQzkKryf.jpg

EDIT, QUICK UPDATE:
lowered light position and put radiator under the table:

iblbEy8i0tAV6w.jpg

Now it should be better. Temps now are good, 27°C  (have to see if it increase, penultimate position now).

Thanks! That stick should be enough for the light!:D

Fortunately tech guy has come today and fix the system.
I've changed bases so all is more compact.
When i'll have issues due to growth i'll start giving plants away.
In the meantime another HP22B has born! :onfire:

Photos of the whole and for each plant:

iIihqabEMx3xN.jpg

iPzj5A9esALxy.jpg

iboppBRRDK5Mec.jpg

ib1nE1OnG6OrlE.jpg

izlLMb5emkkCc.jpg

i5cUGmE2JVgVB.jpg

iw6JqEnZtckVj.jpg

ibwOFUsdgHufPi.jpg

ibbq0BXbd0bTVy.jpg

i9DUbaguaessF.jpg

Now waiting for Fataliis and Choco Bhuts. ;)

Essegi said:
Thanks!......

EDIT, QUICK UPDATE:
lowered light position and put radiator under the table:

iblbEy8i0tAV6w.jpg

Now it should be better. Temps now are good, 27°C  (have to see if it increase, penultimate position now).

I think you've got it nailed down, now.
Looks like a good light too.
Good Werk!

Back