• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Perlite Greening and Cotyledons dying off before true leaves pop

Good night folks,

I recently sowed a couple of seeds in individual beer cups (Douglah, Butch T, Orig Scorpion) and it's been maybe 2 weeks. The seedlings are starting to pop out. I have seen the growing media and most importantly perlite turn to a light jungle green color. Also, 3 seedlings emerged on my Butch T but the cots are shrieveled or torn off of the stem.

1- Is the green stuff algae? Could it have a negative effect on my plants? Should I repot?
2- Do my Butch T have any chance of surviving if no true leaves have popped? The stem is half inch long.
3- Could it be fungus gnat larvae that ate the cots?

Thanks in advance,
TEURF

Do you have any photos?

What setup are you running? Lighting and type of soil and how close are your lights to your plants?

As for the algae, I am seeing a little in with my cactus sprouts. They are in very humid conditions. It has not affected them and they are quite a bit more delicate than peppers. Also, with virtually the same medium with less perlite and sand my pepper sprouts have no algae on the soil's surface.

Pics help - but yes, the green is likely algae. Typically if the cotyledons don't make it, neither does the plant, as the cotyledons are what feed the plant at first. And why do you suspect fungus gnats? More info, please!

AaronRiot said:
Do you have any photos?

What setup are you running? Lighting and type of soil and how close are your lights to your plants?

As for the algae, I am seeing a little in with my cactus sprouts. They are in very humid conditions. It has not affected them and they are quite a bit more delicate than peppers. Also, with virtually the same medium with less perlite and sand my pepper sprouts have no algae on the soil's surface.

I am using T5 4tube 2' 24watts. Soil is 1 part coco: 1 part potting : 1/2 part perlite. Lights are about 8 inches from soil... I had the cups covered with plastic for germination.
The germination are on the left.

geeme said:
Pics help - but yes, the green is likely algae. Typically if the cotyledons don't make it, neither does the plant, as the cotyledons are what feed the plant at first. And why do you suspect fungus gnats? More info, please!

Here is the Butch T with dead cotyledons.

Thanks,
Teurf

Agreed, too wet and sheltered deep inside the cup.

Water them less and pierce a couple of more holes into the bottom of the cups. Certain coco types absorb a lot of water and hold it for a longer time.

Fungus gnat larvae eat roots. They are small whitish translucent worms about 3/16" to 1/4" when they are stretched out.

To have algae already seems like things might be too wet. Too wet looks like why those other plants died. But damp off is usually at or right below the soil line.

Technically, had the growing tip still been there even if the cotyledons died they could have been saved, but the whole tip is dead.

Watering seedlings in the cold can be tricky. They dont use much water themselves and the lack of warmth leads to a lack of evaporation leaving any roots in cold anaerobic water. Looking up I see you covered the cup with plastic too, this probably exacerbated the condition. Pythium (damp off fungus) was probably growing before the peppers. Or fungus gnat larvae ate the roots. They both like it wet and above ground damage can look similar.

I mostly use solo cups but this works for the clear beer cups too. I put holes in them with a razor blade by slicing off an inch or so where the side and bottom meet. One on each side, any more and the cup weakens a lot. This way is faster than burning or poking holes in the bottom. Plus it gets some of the side too allowing better drainage.

mx5inpa said:
Fungus gnat larvae eat roots. They are small whitish translucent worms about 3/16" to 1/4" when they are stretched out.

To have algae already seems like things might be too wet. Too wet looks like why those other plants died. But damp off is usually at or right below the soil line.

Technically, had the growing tip still been there even if the cotyledons died they could have been saved, but the whole tip is dead.

Watering seedlings in the cold can be tricky. They dont use much water themselves and the lack of warmth leads to a lack of evaporation leaving any roots in cold anaerobic water. Looking up I see you covered the cup with plastic too, this probably exacerbated the condition. Pythium (damp off fungus) was probably growing before the peppers. Or fungus gnat larvae ate the roots. They both like it wet and above ground damage can look similar.

I mostly use solo cups but this works for the clear beer cups too. I put holes in them with a razor blade by slicing off an inch or so where the side and bottom meet. One on each side, any more and the cup weakens a lot. This way is faster than burning or poking holes in the bottom. Plus it gets some of the side too allowing better drainage.

Out of curiosity since the Butch T were pretty much dead, I pulled out the stems, one had a fungus gnat larvae stuck on it and the root was partially eaten with no hairs at all.

I can't remember exactly but I think I might have taken used soil for germination... I hesitated but I shouldve have taken the risk.

I pulled out the douglah already sprouted, cleaned the roots and planted in fresh soil. Hopefully these won't die on me.

Thanks all for the tips guys
Teurf

Back