• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut cotyledons turning purple?

Hey everyone, it's my first year growing super hots from seed and everything has been going smoothly until I noticed last night 2 of my Bhut Jolokia seedlings had a dark purple color around the edge of both cotyledons. I'm not very experienced on growing these types of plants from seed and just wanted some insight on what I might be doing wrong. Also will this kill the plant or stunt it's growth?

Sorry about the cell phone pics.

Cool beans!!! Nothing to worry about
an.gif.pagespeed.ce.gCOlF_-can.gif

However, in an unrelated inquiry, I may be wron,g but your media looks pretty dry.  You do not want to over-water.... but you also do not want to underwater.. the weight test is the only way to go.

Alright thanks for the info! I did just remove the heat mat from under them the other day because I did notice it was causing them to dry out quicker and most seeds had sprouted. I have been laying off on the watering because I figured once the heat mat was removed the coir would keep more water retained but they do feel quite light so I'll give them some water. thanks for the advice guys

Yep that's dry. You can water way more often with coco and not worry about 'overwatering' because coco will only hold so much. The rest drains off. Are you using coco as a germination medium or are you going to continue to use it throughout the plants life?

Neil

I had just planned to use the coir for germination and switch them over to foxfarms ocean forest potting soil once they are ready to be transplanted to bigger containers.

Have you considered trying growing in coco throughout? It's a very forgiving medium and can produce excellent results.

I might use it on a few of my plants and see which one I like better. I have heard good things about coir from a number of people I just cant seem to find the bricks other than amazon. they might have some at the local hydroponics store.

Bricks aren't bad, but most need to be rinsed thoroughly before use. Most of the loose bagged stuff comes washed and pre-charged with a light nutrient solution. If you go with coco, you'll also need to pick up some nutrients because coco doesn't have any. You need to feed with every watering. There are a number of different manufacturers of coco specific nutrients and virtually ALL of them make 10-15 different products that they'll try to sell you as MUST have! The cheapest and easiest way to get started would be to pick up 1 litre of Flora Micro and Flora Bloom. That's all you'll need from seed to harvest. It'll run you about $30 tops.

Back