• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Julie's 2014 Glog

Starting a glog mostly for my own purposes. I've been growing peppers for 2-3 years, so I'm still learning, but this is my first year of recording/tracking in a glog. 

Hubby and I planted on January 4th 2014. I'm keeping record best as I can as things sprout.

Here's what we put out:
2/3 Cayenne Purple
0/3 Jalapeno Red
2/3 Jalapeno Purple
3/3 Bulgarian Carrot
3/3 Peter Pepper
2/3 Habanero Chocolate
2/3 Aji Crystal
2/3 Devil’s Tongue White
1/2 Monkey Face - sprouted but had a casualty :(
0/2 CNG21500
2/2 Jamaican Hot Chocolate
0/2 Aribibi Gusano
2/2 Habanero Long Peach
0/2 Trinidad Scorpion
5/5 Bhut Jolokia
1/6 Cayenne Red
0/1 Mystery

The 'Mystery' pepper was a random seed that feel out of a packet while we were seeding. The Bhut Jolokia and Cayenne Red were seeds I attempted to save from last season; we'll see if they sprout. We like using the jiffy pellets for the convinience, but also tried some egg cartons with medium once we ran out of the pellets. None of the stores carry them just yet; we're in full blown winter wonderland here in Canada. We also have 4 overwintered plants that seem to be doing well so far. A cayenne red, Jalapeno, and 2 Bhut Jolokia.

Many thanks to Hendrix1326 for sharing some of his seeds; very excited to try these varieties.

This year, we have a 5 tier rack that we're hoping to use. We mounted a few lights, but we'll need to add more. Shelves are adjustable, so that will come in handy.

Here's our little buddies as of this morning:

11908321896_d98f152e7c_c.jpg

Edit:
More as of January 19 2014
2/2 Golden California Wonder
2/2 Monster Bell
1/2 Aribibi Gusano
0/2 CNG21500
1/2 Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
1/2 Moruga Scorpion Red
0/3 Datil
2/2 Kori Sitakame
1/1 Jamaican Hot Chocolate

Thanks everyone.

Of interest today, some of my own seeds from last year popped up. That's a relief.

Also, these:
11953308795_0afb5c5855_z.jpg

I realize this is just the cotyledon and not the true leaves, but is is normal that one is purple and the other not? They are supposed to be cayenne purple, but most likely open pollinated.

When I grew the Purple Cayenne, the cotyledons didn't get purple, just the fruits themselves. Of course, some people name other peppers the same thing, and so the genetics might not be the same, even with the same name pepper.

Hendrix1326 said:
When I grew the Purple Cayenne, the cotyledons didn't get purple, just the fruits themselves. Of course, some people name other peppers the same thing, and so the genetics might not be the same, even with the same name pepper.
Gotcha, all good, I was mostly curious. I did a bit of a happy dance when I saw the little purple guy, so cute.

Transplanted today despite wanting to wait longer before doing so. Both the pellets and medium in egg carton were getting very dry even with daily watering. Had a single casualty so decided not to chance it.

Everybody into the drinking cups until I see roots circling in the bottom. At least now I should be able to go periods of time before watering.

12037685574_6d016043d2_z.jpg

And I realized we didn't do any bells, and we all know how it is, decided to add more. Here's what we planted today:
0/2 Golden California Wonder
0/2 Monster Bell
0/2 Aribibi Gusano
0/2 CNG21500
0/2 Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
0/2 Moruga Scorpion Red
0/3 Datil
0/2 Kori Sitakame
0/1 Jamaican Hot Chocolate

We added a few that hadn't sprouted yet from the original planting. I haven't given up hope yet, but just making sure we're covered. Worst case, we'll give some away.

Some other random fun for the day since it was happening in the same room, beef jerky:
12037680374_670cb2a7f8.jpg

Really excited for all the pods to get going this summer and make jerky from those.

Does anyone know if the following peppers need special germination environments? More heat type of thing? I'm not having much luck with these:
CGN21500
Aribibi Gusano

Back