• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gumbo

Gumbo is all about the roux. If done right gives a nice nutty flavor profile. I like to use rendered bacon fat and veg oil combo. Low and slow when cooking the roux longest part of making gumbo. Cajun napalm. Be careful.

I make a seriously kick ass gumbo, but I couldn't begin to give you a recipe. It is all a little of this and a little of that. I don't measure much. I will tell you that I use a very dark roux and a healty amount of file powder at the end.

LoL ,
Go get you Paul's book , we call it the bible ! It will teach you a lot of dishes !!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Prudhommes-Louisiana-Kitchen/dp/0688028470

Without clicking, I know you are talking about Paul Prudhomme, and I learned from his nephew David Prudhomme, because he now lives and owns a restaurant here in PA.

Without clicking, I know you are talking about Paul Prudhomme, and I learned from his nephew David Prudhomme, because he now lives and owns a restaurant here in PA.

You got it bud , all Paul's books have taught me a lot . I have lived in New Orleans and always at Paul's rest !

I make gumbo from what's available at the time.  After 25 years of making it I like to kickstart the roux in the microwave while I prep veggies and meat.  I can still get that dark color and nutty almost burnt popcorn smell in the micro without standing over the skillet for 30 min hoping it don't burn.  I like to brown all the meat instead of boiling it.  Then I infuse the roux with veggies and meat before adding it to boiling stock.  This make it good fairly fast instead of waiting for the flavors to blend a day later.

I insist on green onions.  The peppers, onions and celery can be omitted if I'm out out of something.  Some like med grain rice, some like long.  I had a neighbor in Lake Charles that put it over hot mashed potato salad.  Her husband liked lots of file and hot pepper vinegar.  It can be anyway you like.

I just made a batch with bacon grease and oil.  I used what the garden gave me and I had in the freezer.

Prep

Microwave roux....I don't care if you think it's wrong....you do your thing and I'll do mine

Roux and veggies carmelizing

Product

Back