• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2014 Grow = Meager beginnings

Just getting started, and don't even have a full list put together yet.

Yesterday I planted the following:

Pubescens:

6  Yellow Manzano (from Smokemaster)
6  Orange Manzano (from Fanatic 79)
9  Mexican Manzano (from Smokemaster)  Not sure on the color, it may be a mix.

Chinense:

6 Peach Habanero  (Harvested '12)
6 Pink Habanero (PepperJam)
3 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Peppermania)
3 Bonda Ma Jacques  (?  no name on packet, and can't remember now)
3 Tobago Scotch - Yellow  (Melissa)

I may add a couple more, like maybe the Purple Bhut, or a Fatalii if I can find seeds for a yellow one.  How much hotter is the 7 Pot Yellow than the Fatalii?  I think I may have seeds for that one ...

The Baccatums will get sown in another week or two, and the Annums will be started by mid-February but I haven't quite figured out which ones yet.

I really like the Rapid Rooter/Root Riot plugs I've used in the past, but didn't have the funds for those this time, so I just sowed in some Jiffy Organic Seed Germinating Mix.

Once the first seed sprouts, I'll try and get a pic posted.

I got some Fatalii seeds I pulled from my YELLOW Fatalii...but they're op and you know how that goes! :crazy:  Pretty good shot at them being yellow though. As far as the Yellow 7 vs Fatalii...apples and watermelons. The yellow 7s, Yellow Brains and Yellow Scorpions are some of my favorites though! Very similar flavor, but much hotter.

Good luck on your season lady!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!!!

Jeff, I sowed a lot of Manzanos because they seem to have a low germination rate, and are prone to helmet head.  I'm hoping to end up with at least 2 or 3 plants.  I know I should have started those a month or more ago, but it is hard for me to focus on starting up the next year's grow until after the holidays have passed.

Thanks, Shane for the heads up on the 7 Pot.  The Fatalii seemed plenty hot for me, so I think I'll stick with those for now.  I'd love to try your Yellow Fatalii seeds.  We'll just blame those NOTS from last season on Andy!   :rofl:

What about Yellow Devil's Tongue.  Anyone have any experience with that one?  Just wondering where that one falls as far as heat level and flavor.

Okay, so I found some Fatalii seeds in my stash from GA growhead, and also some Datils.  After some discussion on the Hot Pepper Talk forum, I think I'll grow both.

Here's what went in the dirt today:

Chinense:

4 Fatalii  (from GA Growhead)
4 Burkina Scotch Bonnet (not sure of source)
4 Purple Bhut  (Melissa)

Baccatum:

5 Aji Yellow  (Paul - I think)
6 Aji Chinchi Amarillo  (my harv. seed '12)
4 Aji Habanero  (Wayright)
4 Aji Limo Rojo  (Smokemaster)
6 Bishops Crown (not sure of source)
4 Rain Forest  (my harv. seed from '12)

No sprouts yet from the first sowing, but it's only been 10 days, and I don't use a heat mat.  The chinense types usually take 14 - 28 days for me at room temperature.

Other than the Datils, I think I am done until it's time to sow the annums sometime in February.

Well I finally have something to report!    :dance:

...  HOOKS!!!

3 Yellow Manzano hooks  (Sown 1-10-14)
1 Orange Manzano hook  (Sown 1-10-14)
2 Mexican Manzano hooks (Sown 1-10-14)
2 Pink Habanero hooks (Sown 1-10-14)

Those only took 28 days ... sheesh!

1 Aji Chinchi Amarillo with helmet head (Sown 1-20-14)
4 Bishop's Crown hooks (Sown 1-20-14)

PINK HABANERO

Zt25nqH.jpg

BISHOP'S CROWN

SSX3Joy.jpg

MEXICAN MANZANO

fIIvcr9.jpg

I've got the Annuum list pretty much narrowed down to 20 different ones, and am hoping to get them sown this weekend.  Only one or two are new to me, the rest are tried-and-true varieties.  I've really been enjoying the frozen ice cubes of pureed peppers in the deep freeze for cooking over this long winter we're having.  To restock supplies, I have lots of mild to medium varieties on the list that aren't too hot when cooking for the kids.  I'll post a list once I get them in the dirt.

Annuums were sown today!

2-8-14

6 Alma Paprika  (Harv.'13)
6 Ancho San Luis (Harv.'11)
6 Black Hungarian (Harv.'12)
9 Cascabella (Harv. '10)
One pod's worth of Charapita seeds (Shane)
6 Cayenne Thick (Socal Chilehead)
7 Chilhuacle Amarillo (Harv.'12)
6 Chilhuacle Negro (Smokemaster)
6 Chilhuacle Roho (Harv.'11)
9 Fresno (Harv.'13)
6 Golden Cayenne (Doc-N-Rock)
3 Georgescu Chocolate (Baker's Creek '13)
6 Georgia Flame (Harv.'11)
9 Jaloro (Harv.'13)
8 Jamaican Hot Yellow (KingDenniz)
6 La Rouge Royale (Hillbilly Jeff)
6 Lumbre (Harv.'13)
6 Mulato Isleno (TradeWindsFruit)
4 Patio Red Marconi (Baker's Creek '09)
6 Sandia (Harv.'12)
9 Santa Fe Grande (Harv.'13)
6 Serrano Cozumel Market (Paul G.)
6 Serrano Tampiqueno (Harv.'11)
8 Sweet Pickle (Harv. '10 or '11)
6 Piquillo (Tinley244)
8 Volcano (Elkwc)

So that's pretty much it, except for the seeds for the Tallest Grow Challenge.  My grow list isn't quite as long as last year, but since I'm not using the Rapid Rooter plugs this year, I planted a lot more seeds in each cell.  May regret that later, when I have to separate them all ...

Here's the 1st Pink Habanero

azMZ7Dx.jpg

... and a group shot of everything sown so far.

qk6aAul.jpg

I've forgotten what this plant is called, but this is it's second year, and it is huge and blooming like crazy!

M3exuQo.jpg

Thought I'd end with a picture of this Flicker that has been hanging around the top of the pergola all winter.  This is taken from the window next to my computer.  Ignore the horrid construction dumpster in the empty lot next door ...

uYCqL4n.jpg

I have to say, even though I am sick of shoveling snow, I can't really complain about living where I see snow covered mountains, a bald eagle flying overhead, and a herd of elk, all on the drive home from the grocery store!

Cool bird, pretty flowers...congrats on the hook...and FYI the Charpita is a Chinense. Pretty short season though so you should have no trouble getting a couple thousand pods off it.

Back