I love my rum!

I just made another batch of my Navy style rum(think Pusser's) and can't hold back.  IT'S DELICIOUS!!!! Fruity, rich, heavy, buttery, and complex.  And it's not even touched wood yet!  Anyone else dabble in home distillation of fine(not rotgut "moonshine") spirits?

Painkillers are my favorite rum drink, but it seems a waste to use an excellent rum like Pusser's to make them (even though that's what the folks at Pusser's say was used at The Soggy Dollar by the original owner who claimed to have invented the drink). I don't know if The Soggy Dollar still uses Pusser's or if they use something like Cruzan made in St. Croix.

kentishman said:
Painkillers are my favorite rum drink, but it seems a waste to use an excellent rum like Pusser's to make them (even though that's what the folks at Pusser's say was used at The Soggy Dollar by the original owner who claimed to have invented the drink). I don't know if The Soggy Dollar still uses Pusser's or if they use something like Cruzan made in St. Croix.
They used Pusser's last time I was there, about 10 years ago

Beerswimmer said:
I'll start a thread on how I distill my rum, but for anyone who is interested in this safe hobby please go to homedistiller.org and educate yourself.  
Awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

Fruity, rich, heavy, buttery, and complex.  And it's not even touched wood yet!
I digress. :P

But seriously, I have been watching for stainless milk cans like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Milk-Can-40-liters-10-gallons-Locking-Lid-Dairy-Cattle-/331104489219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d175d8f03

And have the designs for both internal and valved reflux for this type of container.

Might just be lazy and get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25L-Alcohol-Stainless-Distiller-Home-Brew-Kit-Moonshine-Still-Wine-Making-Boiler-/261337006476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8e6418c

:drunk:

Gotrox said:
I digress. :P

But seriously, I have been watching for stainless milk cans like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Milk-Can-40-liters-10-gallons-Locking-Lid-Dairy-Cattle-/331104489219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d175d8f03

And have the designs for both internal and valved reflux for this type of container.

Might just be lazy and get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25L-Alcohol-Stainless-Distiller-Home-Brew-Kit-Moonshine-Still-Wine-Making-Boiler-/261337006476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8e6418c

:drunk:

Please don't waste your money on the kit. You will regret it. Instead, get a beer keg and take a trip to the hardware store.  Make it to suit your needs.  You could make a very nice potstill and also a very nice reflux tower for the cost of the kit. 

Looked at designs for the beer keg, and decided if I am going to build my own, would much rather have the milk can.

Removable lid---easier to clean----no cutting and welding, just drill and tap.
A bit smaller----10 gal as opposed to 15.5 gal.

Get both! You can have a 55 drum to make a HUGE ferment, then do 3 stripping runs and a final slow spirit run in the milk can. I have done this to try and fill a wood barrel. You get a couple months of distilling done in a weekend!!

OKGrowin-  Do you plan to do an all-grain mash using only the corn(convert the starches to sugar), or use sugar and use the corn for flavor?

Corn is very difficult to get a good conversion.  It takes a lot of practice to do it with only marginal success.  Even with a decent conversion, I would suggest mashing barley with the corn to up the SG. An AG whiskey is phenomenal!

If you plan to use sugar, then it's easy as pie, but the flavor will suffer.  It will be pretty bland, more of an odd corn flavored vodka unless you get to about 5-6 generations deep into a UJSSM recipe. Then it will be pretty damn nice!

Also the yeast can make or break a whiskey.  

Please research, research, research, and educate yourself thoroughly before trying.  There are a few mashing/fermenting/distilling theories  and safety precautions you need to fully understand before attempting.

Back