• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fried Chili Oil

So, as long as I'm sitting around waiting for my sprouts to do something, I thought I'd mix up a batch of my current condiment obsession: fried chili oil.

It's also super easy. Two ingredients. Ten minutes tops!

First, toast some dried pods in a pan (As-Seen-on-TV pan optional):

GliBb2wl.jpg

Next, grind the pods into flakes:

k4WnD0Vl.jpg

Heat up an equal amount of neutral oil in the pan on medium. When the oil is ready, add flakes, and fry for a good 3 minutes:

jpC8y74l.jpg

The result:

WNUNbxgl.jpg

This Asian style sauce is great on everything, but throw some in wonton soup, or pho, and it's heaven.  It's a bit raisin-y, with a great toasted flavor and aroma.

Just thought I'd share!

First thing this made me think of is the pho chili paste you see in the vietnamese restaurants. When i use to live in the city i would eat pho 2-3 times a week at least i haven't had any for a few years as i moved to the sticks.

Anyways man i want some pho now with this fried chili oil you posted. :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling: 

I will have to try this out and thanks for posting!

Very nice! Did you use dried Thai peppers for this? I do something similar with my Bhuts and Nagas using a larger percentage of oil in the bottle, and use it for sauteeing, drizzling on soups or when making mayonnaise. Cheers!

Hophead said:
First thing this made me think of is the pho chili paste you see in the vietnamese restaurants. When i use to live in the city i would eat pho 2-3 times a week at least i haven't had any for a few years as i moved to the sticks.

Anyways man i want some pho now with this fried chili oil you posted. :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

Oh yea we have Pho once a week every Friday with frozen super hots!!! http://www.pho95noodlehouse.com/

Holy crap. I have seen a lot here on THP. I mean A-LOT! That is hella-awesome right there.

Simple once again proves to be the bestessnesses.

You sir are a genius! I will be doing this...

Forever.

Thanks for sharing

Looks like I have a reason to take a little extra-special care of my thai chile plants this year!

That stuff looks fantastic as is, but I bet I'm gonna have a whole lot of fun using it as a base for other sauces. Mmmmmmm. Garlic, ginger, green onions, maybe some soy sauce or hoisin... You smell that?

Forgot to add... this is by no means shelf stable. Put immediately in fridge after making! 

Hophead said:

That's exactly the condiment I had in mind. I bought a jar from a local market, but the seal was broken so I tossed it.  And it cost me five bucks. I figured that it couldn't be THAT hard to make, so I came up with this recipe. It probably costs 10 cents to make, tops.

stickman said:
Very nice! Did you use dried Thai peppers for this? I do something similar with my Bhuts and Nagas using a larger percentage of oil in the bottle, and use it for sauteeing, drizzling on soups or when making mayonnaise. Cheers!

For this batch, I used a bag of unnamed Asian pods that had been hiding in the back of the cupboard forever (that I think I cost fifty cents), cut with some Chili De Arbol. Nothing fancy, but great results.

Don't have any Thai chilis on my grow list this year, but now I might need to add some!

Going to add some garlic to the next batch, and see how it goes.

blorvak said:

Going to add some garlic to the next batch, and see how it goes.

I'd chop the garlic and add it to the oil right at the end of cooking Blorvak.  Garlic tends to get bitter when overcooked.

That said I am going to make this with some dried cayenne and chili d'arbol (and garlic at the end) right effin now!  

Thanks for sharing

SmokenFire said:

I'd chop the garlic and add it to the oil right at the end of cooking Blorvak.  Garlic tends to get bitter when overcooked.

That said I am going to make this with some dried cayenne and chili d'arbol (and garlic at the end) right effin now!  

Thanks for sharing

Good thought! It'll take me a while to get through this batch, as I'm the only chilihead in the house. I was also thinking about making garlic oil and then using that as a base.

Curious to see how yours turns out!

Sweet bajeezuz i cant wait to try this..... use to go crazy with this stuff on stir fry beef and rice noodles dishes......

......anyone have any idea how long it'll roughly last in the fridge???

Now I know what to do with those giant bags of chile de arbol and chile japones my mom gave me yesterday! Awesome! Just one question.... what oil did you use for your base? I'm thinking of using EVOO...

Buzz said:
Now I know what to do with those giant bags of chile de arbol and chile japones my mom gave me yesterday! Awesome! Just one question.... what oil did you use for your base? I'm thinking of using EVOO...

I used Canola Oil, but I'd imagine any would work. You don't need to get the oil very hot to fry the flakes.

I made another batch about a month ago in which I fried smashed cloves of garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes (until dark brown), removed the garlic, and then fried the chilies. Gave it a nice garlic undertone.

EDIT: Oh, and it lasts a good long while in the fridge. Months.

Back