• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

what is your favorite?

What is your favorite chili to make into powder?

Right now I am a big fan of the brown moruga as well as cayenne (about 20 CCharleston with 1 large red 7pot)

I like to mix pods of varying heat levels and colors, smoke them a few hours, then dehydrate and make them into flakes and powder. I like the complex flavor and the attractive appearance of the mixes.

My favourite so far that I've dehydrated for powder has to be jalapeno's. The flavour as powder is just outstanding, and the aroma (from the powder I've made at least) smells just like jalapeno poppers. 

Fatalii is hard to beat for flavor and has a nice kick i have lots of powders with more heat but thats the one i always go back to for flavor.

Reactions: SL3
Oh NO! Not another "favorite" thread!!!!! :crazy:

Taste is so subjective it's ridiculous to ask others for their "favorites" on anything, as you may strongly dislike what someone else loves. Me? I powder any type of chile I like to eat - if I don't like it fresh, I'm not going to like it dry. My "favorite" is variety - my seasoning cabinet is full of way more seasonings than the average American uses and I actively use them all, be they chile powders, herbs, or other spices. I do not generally use pre-mixed seasonings, as I find I can come up with better mixes on my own.

impending_bending said:
whaaa???? wtf is that?
Charleston cayenne
geeme said:
Oh NO! Not another "favorite" thread!!!!! :crazy:

Taste is so subjective it's ridiculous to ask others for their "favorites" on anything, as you may strongly dislike what someone else loves. Me? I powder any type of chile I like to eat - if I don't like it fresh, I'm not going to like it dry. My "favorite" is variety - my seasoning cabinet is full of way more seasonings than the average American uses and I actively use them all, be they chile powders, herbs, or other spices. I do not generally use pre-mixed seasonings, as I find I can come up with better mixes on my own.
You are right taste is completely subjective...the point of a thread like this is to learn about peppers I may not know about. I happen to have limited grow space but am willing to try most anything. So if someone says I like fatali and I have yet to grow them...I will give them a try. I use as many home grown herbs and spices as I can as well, makes everything better.

Thank you for commenting.

I'd like to give a shout out to the ... Jamaican Hot Chocolate & w/Scotch Bonnet running a very close 2nd ... both smoked and dried accordingly. (Fatalii runs 3rd) ... These guys blend so well with some many dishes, .....or it's just the Tequila talking ! :drunk:

OhioHeat

My favorite is a large red jalapeno (I prefer red jalapenos over green, so I picked those) variety that packs more heat than normal jalapenos. I bought them from an international market. They might have been biker billy jalapenos.

A mix.
There are 7 (I think) in last years pepper salt batch, and each one adds a little something something.

I'm really liking the ancho chili powder I got this year - smoked poblanos dehydrated and ground.  The pods maintained a good amount of oil, so the powder is almost raisin-ey with a mild subtle heat.  I use it in conjunction with some of the devils tongue and trin scorps I got to cut the heat and add a bottom note.  

I like the blends far better than any individual pepper powder.  Surprise of the year would be the Czech Black powder I made - I didn't care for the fresh peppers, but the powder I made from the pods is quite hot and well flavored.

Back