• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 - The Epilogue (2014 Glog)

Well, lets give this a go - it certainly won't be up to par with some of these great Glogs but...

I just planted this morning.  Last year I started my plants in March.  This year I'm more on the ball (I hope!).
I decided to try Oasis Rootcubes.  I bought a 104 cell sheet of the 1 1/4" cubes.  They are housed in a Jiffy seed starting greenhouse atop a Milliard heat mat.  Temperature is at 78 degrees F.

Once I get some growth, light will be a hodgepodge  of T5 and cheap ebay LED bulbs.

I had pared my list down to 15 - it grew to 18 - I planted 19 with a few more seeds evincing such arguments for inclusion I'll probably be wetting them soon as well.  It is so hard to say no to pepper seeds!

Planted so far:

1/1     7 Pot Bubblegum 
2/2     7 Pot White
1/1     Aji Dulce Yellow
6/6     Aji Lemon Drop
2/2     Aji Omnicolor x unknown baccatum (SanPatricio)
2/2     Ancient Sweet
4/4     Brazilian Starfish
2/2     Charapita
1/1     Cherry Bomb
2/2     Creme Fatalii
2/2     Fatalii x Red Savina (justaguy)
2/2     Jamaican Gold
1/1     Mako Kokoo 
3/3     Manzano 
2/2     Queen Laurie - one didn't make it after a helmet head but the remaining plant is doing great.
1/1     Rain Forest - this one is growing very slowly, not a healthy looking plant.
2/2     Seasoning Pepper
2/2     Tepin x Lemon Drop (smileyguy697)
2/2     Urfa Biber
/\ cells germinated/cells planted

2-9-2014:
1/2     C. galapagoense
1/2     C. chacoense

2-16-2014
1/2 TS Yellow CARDI

Hooking me up with a little happiness today are:  Tepin x Lemon Drop, Omnicolor x ??bacc, Brazilian Starfish, Seasoning Pepper, Creme Fatalii, Jamaican Gold, 7 Pot White, Urfa Biber, Mako Kokoo, Ancient Sweet, Cherry Bomb.

Eleven down (or rather 'up') and nine to go!

Lights: 12 hours on / 12 hours off
Temp:  86 with lights on, 78 with lights off

Brazilian Starfish

Cherry Bomb

Mako Kokoo wearing a helmet

Well, as of today 17 of my 19 varieties have joined the party.  Only Queen Laurie and Rain Forrest have yet to appear - hopefully they just like to be fashionably late.  Up since the other day are:  Lemon Drop, Fatalii x Red Scorp, Charapita, Aji Dulce Yellow, Manzano, 7 Pot BBG.

I was a bit surprised to see a manzano up today.  I thought they took a long time to germinate.
Half the Lemon Drop cells are up as well.  I waited on them a long time last year.

I'm pleased with my germination rates so far.  Of course, I'm planting quite shallow in the Rootcubes versus directly in potting soil last year.
Very uniform moisture with the Rootcubes and I am providing heat this year.  I supposed that is the biggest advantage over '13.

I placed several seeds in each cell - hedging my bets a bit against any poor germination rates as I wasn't doing  lots of cells. So many seeds are sprouting, I'll have to pull out quite a few as the strongest shows itself in each cell.  Good problem to have, I guess.

neoguy said:
Good luck with your grow. I'm starting seeds now as well.
And to you too my fellow Buckeye!  With the weather coming on us the next few days it seems like spring may never get to northern Ohio.

Nulle said:
Good luck with your little ones. I think you need Aji Pineapple as well :whistle:
Thank you my friend from across the pond.  Hope all grows well for you too.

Devv said:
Nice well rounded list, good luck this year!
I am so psyched about my selections.  Eleven I have eaten and know I like.  The rest are being grown on faith after much laborious and painful soul searching - how could I possibly have left out Beni Highlands or CGN21500 or Cumar do Para or Jimmy Nardello or...!!!

Jamison said:
Awesome list! Have fun!
Thanks, Jamison - I'm loving it!   You know, the other side, they think we're nut.  'What's the big deal about hot peppers?"  You mention hot peppers to them and all they know is Jalapeno - they just don't understand... there's a whole big world of peppers out there!

Devv said:
looking good!

I hope the helmet goes!
It did, but I suspect another sprout in that cell will be the keeper.  Pains me to have to pull out so many nice little plants.  I just really was not expecting such a high germination rate.  I did not plant near as many seeds last year and waited so long to see results.

stc3248 said:
BAM!!! Pop...pop...pop.pop.pop.pop.pop
Don't you know it!  All of a sudden - one right after another.  You'd swear you can see them growing.

Great pop rate!
Welcome to your newest obsession. 

PS, with yours and several others Rootcube success has me considering giving them a try. MegaGrowers has a 276 sheet for about 16bucks a pair

As of 2-2 I at 100% of my cells with at least one plant. I sowed from 2 to 4 seeds per cell and overall have about 90% germination. I am impressed with how easy it has been working with the rootcubes. Last year I struggled with adequate moisture control and it's been so simple with these. A few little tweaks in procedure can certainly make a huge impact on results.

I've been transplanting to Solo cups the past couple days and that's all going well. I think from here on I'll only sow one seed per cell so I don't have fret over thinning out perfectly good plants - kind of a silly thing but y'all understand what I mean. Ya just can't help but to love the little guys!

My laptop in out of commission so I'll catch up on pics when the opportunity presents.

Thanks, Brian. Another senior moment while writing down my grow list I guess.
I am looking forward to seeing what these will yield. The peppers I got from you were delicious.

btw, I am enjoying your sauces. Good stuff, especially the Piney Jab.

edit: that would be Piney Hab

A couple picture updates:

Here's the group before I started transplanting.
\

Transplanting in to Solo cups this past week.  I do like working with the Rootcubes.  Do the plants look too leggy for this age/size??

Some of the youngsters in their new digs:

And this is my mini-greenhouse for germinating the C.galapagoense and C. chacoense.
It is sitting in a Jiffy tray that is on top of my heating mat.

My assemblage of lights, some off for the photo:

A few pics of the group.  Most were planted at the same time but growth rates have varied considerably.

This guy has been living in my basement all winter.  He's chilling on an Ancient Sweet today:

Brazilian Starfish:

Aji Lemon Drop:

Manzano:

C. chacoense:

These are some extra culls, transplanted from plants I pulled out of some of the pots with multiple plants (small tomato plants at rear).  I pulled them out as gently as I could but still ended up with few roots.  I was surprised how well they recovered - a bit wilted for a day and then right back to normal:

This is Tepin x Lemon Drop.  Grown from seed saved from pods from smileyguy697.

Devv said:
Plants are looking really healthy!

Whens dirt day for you?

Thanks.  I'm happy with how they are progressing.  Some are growing like weeds.  I hope they don't outgrow the space I have to house them before the weather turns in my favor!  I started much earlier this year, wanting a nice jump start for my peppers.

I'll not be planting in the garden until mid-May. The plants that will go in pots, I'll get acclimated and planted sooner as I can put them in the garage on days it gets too cold.

I cannot wait for spring - we are all so tired of this endless winter.

Back