• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphid solution!!

Finally, something that actually works on aphids, other that ladybugs.

aphid control.jpg

you will notice them they like to hid on the back of the leaf and the leafs will start to look sticky and sick.

JoeFish said:
How will I know when I get aphids this spring?
You'll see the little mongrels.

judohero said:
you will notice them they like to hid on the back of the leaf and the leafs will start to look sticky and sick.
And Joefish, do your best to catch them before they attack the leaves this bad! Like with anything the sooner the better..

I feel like you should be especially alert for them as your plants start to flower. I noticed last year that they would cluster on the stems of the flowers and suck on them till they drop. It ruined my super hot harvest last year.. Live and learn.

Pepperjack91 said:
You'll see the little mongrels.

And Joefish, do your best to catch them before they attack the leaves this bad! Like with anything the sooner the better..

I feel like you should be especially alert for them as your plants start to flower. I noticed last year that they would cluster on the stems of the flowers and suck on them till they drop. It ruined my super hot harvest last year.. Live and learn.
I will keep a watchful eye!

JoeFish said:
How will I know when I get aphids this spring?
I'll post some pics, but you'll know if and when you have them.
I would not be overly concerned about getting them outdoors though, plenty of natural predators to take care of them. Indoor grows are a whole different story. I am either going to modify my OW protocols or have plenty of lady bugs on hand to deal with aphids in the future.
maximumcapsicum said:
Be sure to rinse this stuff off after a spray; it can burn pepper leaves just slightly!
I am testing for that right now. I sprayed a Tabasco plant and left it out in the light to see the extent of damage if any that would occur, before spraying the entire grow. I will however take precautions and spray after lights out. with room temp at 82 and fan running all night residue will be gone before sunrise.

HP22BH said:
gotta watch what you use indoors
Take them outside, spray top, bottom, sides.
Let them sit for a day if it's warm, then hose off.
If it's cold, shake the snot out of them and put them in the tub overnight till they dry.

Don't have to. This stuff is for indoor and outdoor use. besides, it is too cold outside here. Blizzard warning in effect with temp to-35 with windchill.
Hey, that would kill the aphids!

Would you use pyrethrin on seedlings?  I have a bunch (around 50) of seedlings, some with 2nd set of leaves and I spend time daily manually removing the aphids.  This is inside.

Read the warnings.
If you have fish, you really don't want to be spraying it indoors.

Just because it says "natural botanicals" doesn't mean it isn't a poison.
Castor beans and poppies are natural too, but extracts of them  make Ricin and heroin, pretty foxgloves make digitalis, a heart medicine or fast killer.

50/50 on seedlings. If it's just a few plants, get rid of them.

If it's an infestation, lady bugs are best, but if none available (or you don't want to be finding hundreds of little dead bugs all over the house--unless you can seal off a room) pyretherin is your best bet for a 1 or 2 shot aphid armageddon.
The smaller the plants, the harder they are stressed by bug killers.
Applied properly---all sides and every nook and cranny, on large plants, my experience is they get upset for a week or so, lose some leaves, and generally stall out.
Indoors, you will likely have to do it twice.
Once for the ones on the plants, again in a week or so to get the ones that were hiding elsewhere and newly hatched eggs that escaped the first shot.

I really don't know why but I didn't have good luck with this product. I had one caribbean red I tried to overwinter in the end of 2012. I did everything imaginable to stop those little demons... Now that I think about it and I'm a little more knowledgeable I had ants in the room the plant was in. They were prolly the culprit.. Any how I bought a bottle from walmart and gave my plant a good spray but every few days or so they came back. Finally I'd had enough, stripped the roots of all soil, hosed it down in the shower, pruned it along with its roots, sprayed every nook and cranny and repotted it. Within a week or so I had new growth and all was well. Ha, atleast I thought... them bastards came back with a vengance. I went to give it a drink and to my surprise they were covering any new growth. I sprayed and sprayed every couple days utill the plant started dying back. At the time I thought it was the aphids killing it but now belive I had poisioned the plant. So I guess what I'm getting at is be catefull with that stuff and if it dosen't knock em out in a few aplications look into other possible reasons they are there. In my case the ants.. and destroy them also. Every case is probably different but these mofos are a pain so good luck. This year I've been fighting them but its nothing like last time. I used neem every sunday and got them under control within 3 weeks. I'd like to point out i would find small amounts of them here and there a couple weeks later. Also I'm dealing with 20 big plants and not one.. I decided to buy azamax not knowing it was a neem based product but seem to have had better results. Its almost been a month and I havent ran across any but there could be a few lone ranger hiding out still in all the foilage.

I think you will prolly be fine but like i said this stuff is a poison so be carefull. Now maybe you just brought a couple in by accident but if you have ants look out.

Good luck
Mike

Gotrox said:
Read the warnings.
If you have fish, you really don't want to be spraying it indoors.

Just because it says "natural botanicals" doesn't mean it isn't a poison.
Castor beans and poppies are natural too, but extracts of them  make Ricin and heroin, pretty foxgloves make digitalis, a heart medicine or fast killer.
50/50 on seedlings. If it's just a few plants, get rid of them.

If it's an infestation, lady bugs are best, but if none available (or you don't want to be finding hundreds of little dead bugs all over the house--unless you can seal off a room) pyretherin is your best bet for a 1 or 2 shot aphid armageddon.
The smaller the plants, the harder they are stressed by bug killers.
Applied properly---all sides and every nook and cranny, on large plants, my experience is they get upset for a week or so, lose some leaves, and generally stall out.
Indoors, you will likely have to do it twice.
Once for the ones on the plants, again in a week or so to get the ones that were hiding elsewhere and newly hatched eggs that escaped the first shot.
I think lady bugs work wonders. Like astonishingly well. You can order a container of them for pretty cheap. I watched about 10 ladybugs completely wipe out an infestation on one of my over wintered plants. It was a sight to behold.
If you decide to use them, then get down really close to the plant and watch as they start attacking aphids. It's pretty exciting.

ok.  I am thinking that maybe the ladybug this is best.  Since my little grow area is in my basement, perhaps I can get a row cover that will cover my area.  Then I can purchase the smallest amount of ladybugs and let them loose.  Hopefully, only a small amount will get out.  Actually, I am thinking that I will lose this battle and more than a small amount will get out since they are bugs and bugs will find a way.  I did see a 10' x 50' row cover at JohnnyAppleseeds.  The 50' part is way too long but a 10' width sounds good.

Am I being a nut here?  Sorry if I am hijacking this post.

Pepperjack91 said:
I think lady bugs work wonders. Like astonishingly well. You can order a container of them for pretty cheap. I watched about 10 ladybugs completely wipe out an infestation on one of my over wintered plants. It was a sight to behold.If you decide to use them, then get down really close to the plant and watch as they start attacking aphids. It's pretty exciting.
Maybe you can get them cheap in season, but, by the time you pay for next day or 2nd day air, they're not so cheap anymore.
At least that's what I have found. I would have rather used ladybugs hands down.

Back