• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense The best tasting non-hot C.chinense ever - The Aji jobito

A huge thanks to Joe Delaney for sending this amazing pepper to me. Aji jobito is from Venezuela. 

First of all, let me say "This is a truly astonishing pepper" so I can get it off my chest. This is the best tasting non-hot C.chinense I`ve ever eaten, bar none. I`ve eaten a few, too!

A great looking pepper, to my eyes, and it is even better when you bite into it. The flavors are really sweet, rich and complex.There is a little C.chinense flavor mixed in there, too, but it isn`t strong. The aftertaste is very rich and nutty, like raw almonds or Brazil nuts. Almost oily, but in a great way. The sweetness of the pepper is also rich and reminiscent of dark brown sugar, Persimmons or Mamey sapote. Rich complex and delicious. 

There is no detectible heat at all. Who cares?!?!? If something tastes this good it does`t matter one little bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMS9tb3TyGo&feature=youtu.be!

It almost looks like a Rocoto by shape. Just goes to show you that a great tasting pepper does not necessarily have to be hot, no more than a fine wine needs to have a higher alcohol content. As always, good review Nigel. I will be keeping my eye out for those. 

A little more information on the Aji jobito,

"This one was from a friend in Cumaná, Venezuela. He is a truly remarkable curator for landraces of peppers and fruits from his homeland. This one is from the state of Sucre in the Northeast and is his favorite as well. There are a number of sweet C. chinense varieties from the region, but this one is in a class by itself."

Oh no, a new pepper for next seasons grow.  I just had a hunt for seeds online without success. If someone finds them a link would be most appreciated!

Nigel said:
A little more information on the Aji jobito,

"This one was from a friend in Cumaná, Venezuela. He is a truly remarkable curator for landraces of peppers and fruits from his homeland. This one is from the state of Sucre in the Northeast and is his favorite as well. There are a number of sweet C. chinense varieties from the region, but this one is in a class by itself."

Interestingly enough, during my google search of this I found a spanish language article talking about "aji dulce" which I assume is referring to a whole group of sweet peppers, and aji jobito was listed along with several other varieties.
Nigel said:
A very valid question. Mine came from Joe Delaney, who is J.T.Delaney on THP, I think.

Thanks for the tip Nigel!

Dammit Nigel, stop it!   You've turned us in to a bunch of asses with juicy carrots dangling a fore our noses.

I've been looking for non-hot c.chineses. I'll have to get some seeds for it next season. Thanks for the info!

Great review Nigel, I'm always amazed by the varieties of non annuum sweet peppers that are being found, when such a short time ago only C. annuum could be found if you wanted a sweet pepper. At present I'm slowly stepping back away from hot peppers and learning more about their sweet non pungent brothers.
It looked like Aji jobito had thicker flesh than other non pungent C. chinense and sounded quite crunchy more like a baccatum or annuum.
I'll have to remember to look for a few seeds to try growing next year as I'm over run and out of space this year.

wildseed57 said:
Great review Nigel, I'm always amazed by the varieties of non annuum sweet peppers that are being found, when such a short time ago only C. annuum could be found if you wanted a sweet pepper. At present I'm slowly stepping back away from hot peppers and learning more about their sweet non pungent brothers.
It looked like Aji jobito had thicker flesh than other non pungent C. chinense and sounded quite crunchy more like a baccatum or annuum.
I'll have to remember to look for a few seeds to try growing next year as I'm over run and out of space this year.
Right now, finding seeds is a very very difficult job. Basically, one person is bringing this and others to people`s attention (thanks Joe Delaney). My hope is to have some seeds available for people by the end on 2014. 
I spent a lot of 2012 looking for non-hot C.chinense varieties and only found a couple. There are a lot more of them now, as people look further afield for these types. There are also some excellent and very different tasting non-hot C.annuums, such as the Yellow Turk`s Cap. 

Nigel said:
Right now, finding seeds is a very very difficult job. Basically, one person is bringing this and others to people`s attention (thanks Joe Delaney). My hope is to have some seeds available for people by the end on 2014. 
thank Nigel, i will keep this in mind as I will be cutting back on many of my super and ultra hot to make room for more mildly pungent and non pungent chile peppers that are not annuums.
Oh by the way your mailbox is full as i had tried to post a message to you about another subject, i will try finding it and post a note there about creating polyploid peppers experiments.

wildseed57 said:
thank Nigel, i will keep this in mind as I will be cutting back on many of my super and ultra hot to make room for more mildly pungent and non pungent chile peppers that are not annuums.
Oh by the way your mailbox is full as i had tried to post a message to you about another subject, i will try finding it and post a note there about creating polyploid peppers experiments.
Ok, box has some room in it.

I just got some colchicine from a Professor friend of mine, so I`m planning what to do with it. Initially, I`ll try with one variety and do maybe 20 plants or so. Probably TSMB.

Back