• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

An ounce is 28g?

Chiliheads of THP, 

Let me start with gratitude.  I am continually thankful for the opportunity to come here and buy fresh pepper berries, dry pepper powders, and some of the best damn hotsauces I've ever had.  This goes on year round!  This is truly the greatest chilihead community I've ever known and you all continue to amaze me and inspire me to "pay it forward" to other chiliheads in my sphere of influence.   

My post is a question, not a criticism or complaint.  I believe I am misinformed.  As a convert to the dark arts of the pepper powder, I now use this condiment daily.  I also give lots of it away, so am always buying more.  I like to spread the love to different hobby vendors here, so have bought lots of powder from lots of different people over the years.  This is in no way directed to any particular vendor or person.  I am grateful for every single one of you!   

I have had an occurence twice now over the past year,  where the powders were advertised such that I believed I was purchasing an ounce of powder per bag.  When these bags arrived and weighed on a validated gram scale they were all at a mass considerably less than 28g.  Most ranging from 20-24g and packaged in bags that could be filled to 28g.  Over the course of dozens of ounces, this becomes a rather modest loss.         

Is there an alternative method of quantifying these powders, such that an ounce is estimated by volume or the bag?  Or do we just accept these for what they are, and one should expect this sort of variability across that range of measures?  I can certainly see this as possible, given the quantities that some deal with!  

I don't believe this is malicious or intentional, but I can't help but wonder why an ounce of pepper powder often does not weight 28g.  I believe I am misinformed. 

Finally, my apologies to any who take my inquiry as hurtful.  I mean no harm, and seek only understanding.  If you care enough to be hurt, then I thank you for your contributions to this community! 

Prost!
:cheers:

Hmm, if this is related to our recent transaction, I want to make it right too.  I didn't measure mine by weight, I went by volume.  I have some 1 oz volume shaker jars that I used as my measuring tool.  I always thought it was by volume and not by weight that the powder was measured.  Either way, not using an accurate measuring tool for weight or volume is not the best way to go.  If I shorted you on any of the bags you bought, please let me fix it.

my 2 cents--

I agree, I dont believe that anyone is intentionally trying to rip you off. IMO if someone sent you a powder that you PAID for and it was underweight it needs to be dealt with then and there.  Be like ordering a double quarter pounder and only getting a quarter pounder, and then saying wait a second couple days later??? I'm sure they would be glad you told them to so they can correct the problem before sending out more to others. I too have dealt with a quite a few vendors on here and one thing is for sure they are all honest and will do anything to make things right with their customers, in my experiances.

Case and point....recently ordered some hot sauce on here, placed order and thought all was good. Vendor contacted me to say that they inadvertly charged me shipping on an extra bottle. Their solution, throw in another bottle for free. WOW! If they never contacted me I would have never been the wiser.

D'oh!  Of course!!!

Yes, if someone is handling lots of powder then using a one fluid ounce container to aliquot the volume makes complete sense.  And, I would expect that the mass of this volume could vary considerably depending upon the nature of the mixture. 

It is incorrect of me to assume that the measure is one of mass and not volume. 

When possible, I do prefer to not be misinformed. 

Ahh...much better.  Take that neuroses! 

seems like by volume and/or by weight is the problem...

For this application id think weight is how they need to be sold.

Im sure they will make it right if they are reading.

PrimeTime said:
seems like by volume and/or by weight is the problem...

For this application id think weight is how they need to be sold.

Im sure they will make it right if they are reading.

Agreed, and from now on any transaction I do regarding powders will be done in weight, rather than volume.  I see now how volume can mess things up.

This is not a call-out thread!

The misunderstanding was mine alone. 

I think that using fluid oz as a unit of measure is completely valid. 
Especially when handling and bagging noxious powders from the hottest pepper berries on the planet! 

I hope that my simple-minded inquiry serves as a teachable moment for the Idiots who are coming behind me. 

And, as you can see, as is the THP way, in moments there are two powder heads in my ear trying to "make it right".  I love you guys! 
I do appreciate the offers, but I would just ask you to pay it forward.     

Weight is the only way to go, but sometimes mositure can play a role.  28 grams coming from CA may be more than if it were coming from Houston due to humidity.  However, probably not measurable on 28 grams, but definately is measureable in larger quanities.

Idiot Piquant said:
D'oh!  Of course!!!

Yes, if someone is handling lots of powder then using a one fluid ounce container to aliquot the volume makes complete sense.  And, I would expect that the mass of this volume could vary considerably depending upon the nature of the mixture. 

It is incorrect of me to assume that the measure is one of mass and not volume. 

When possible, I do prefer to not be misinformed. 

Ahh...much better.  Take that neuroses! 

No it should be the dry weight measure when youre dealing with solids. They arent even comparable.

First, we've established that you're not a drug dealer. 

Second, why would anyone use FL OZ for a powder or dried good? It's dry weight. Apples to apples and all that, 

Third, yes - 28 g to an oz (14 to a 1/2, 7 to a 1/4, 3.5 to an 1/8 - even high school kids failing math are remarkably good at this for some reason. lol) 

Fourth, why is this on the review board? I'm not seeing how this is a review. 

Fifth, if I purchase an oz of powder for an agreed upon price, I expect to get 28 grams, just like if I purchase 50 lbs of something for an agreed upon price, I'd expect to get 22,400 grams of it. When something is sold by weight, that's the agreement. Volume is irrelevant. If they send me an oz of powder in a little dime-bag or in a 1 gallon glad freezer bag it should still be an oz of powder if that's what I agreed to buy. 

it's OK to use a dry measure when portioning out powders as long as it's sold as (2 tablespoons or whatever) not sold by the ounce.  Differences in the grind of the powder and if it's tamped down or not will contribute to variances in the final product.

If selling as an ounce, the powder should be weighed out.

Another reason for variances is if someone is using a cheap mechanical weigh scale like a little postal scale or food scale and if it is adjusted accurately.  Also is Tare taken into account?  The weight of the baggie or jar should be taken into account when measuring out an ounce. 

OOPS! :blush: sorry guys... :shrug: :lol:

(well, working the tablet and Full Editor not showing up? Whatever~~~ you guys get it~ ;) )

Back