• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Preparing potting mix outdoors in advance

Hi guys,

I wish to start a potting mix during spring, mainly composed of:
ProMix BX
Compost
Forest Humus
Worm Castings
Vermiculite and/or Fine Pine Chips and/or Perlite
Rock Dust
Bone and Blood Meal
Compost Teas

My question is, due to the presence of Myco in ProMix, would it be a bad idea to let my mix stand for 1-2 months on a tarp to have a biodiversity created and established or would the Myco die because of the lack of roots to hang to?

Would it be better just to prepare mix and pot up directly?
Thanks,

TEURF

The bone meal would have an adverse affect on the mycos, I believe the mycos will die if the P is higher than 4 or 5.

Apply myco directly to the seed or the roots after your first pot up from cells. You want it to get going with the plant right from the start. Or if you're up and going already start at your next pot up.

The issue I see with the premixed dirt/myco is that there is something like 1 spore /gram. So it's a game of waiting for the root to happen to walk by the spore and germ it.

The bone meal would have an adverse affect on the mycos, I believe the mycos will die if the P is higher than 4 or 5.

If mixed into the soil proportionately would it not be ok?

AaronRiot said:
If mixed into the soil proportionately would it not be ok?

Honestly, I don't have an answer for that, sorry. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

neoguy said:
I don't think that bone meal will affect the mycho, it's very slow release. (that's why I use rock phosphate)

during the use of soluble fertilizer, with a high level of phosphorus P (over 10%), the amount of fertilizer is applied to the half of the dose recommended by the manufacturer .

AaronRiot said:
Apply myco directly to the seed or the roots after your first pot up from cells. You want it to get going with the plant right from the start. Or if you're up and going already start at your next pot up.

The issue I see with the premixed dirt/myco is that there is something like 1 spore /gram. So it's a game of waiting for the root to happen to walk by the spore and germ it.

Given that I used Myke potting soil (with Myco) for potting up plants, and that I actually see good "hairs" on my roots, I believe that I have good roots already established and hope for them to keep on being like that until their final pots.

neoguy said:

The bone meal and blood meal come for a granular organic veg food 8-4-5. 

Back