• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Ground Cherry

I have done a little research on the ground cherry and have decided to give them a go this year.  Just curious if anyone has any insights into these and different ways that you use them.

Excited to get this season on the way.

Thanks
HBJ

Hey HBJ,

I've grown them for a few years than slacked off. I plan on growing them again this year. They grow like tomatoes, but they take longer to mature to a stage for transplant. . I'd start them a 2-4 weeks earlier than tomatoes. I grow, Aunt Molly's Husk, they are short, but wide, about 3'. I harvest when the paper skins a completely dry and brown, or when they drop to the ground. 

I have seed from 2010, me know if you want any.

i will be growing aunt molly variety this year. i too have read the seeds take a long time to germinate but have no first hand experience. i plan on growing them in planters.
the seeds are really tiny.

good luck

In 2012 I grew "Pineapple Tomatillo" (Physalis ixocarpa). I bought the seeds on impulse at the local nursery. Last summer I grew Goldie Ground Cherry (Physalis pubescens). My seeds sprouted in about 10 days using a paper towel in a small plastic cup. Once transplanted they grew really fast. By July, several handfuls of ripe fruit were falling of the plants everyday.

I usually ate the fruit by itself. I made a fruit salad with ground cherries, strawberries and coconut milk.

Here is the Pineapple Tomatillo in 2012:
IMG_2519.jpg

Here is the Goldie Ground Cherry in 2013:
ggc_zps81eddc9d.jpg

I have the pineapple, Molly, and some goose berry kind growing.  Planted some more after I planted the ones with the tomatoes to make sure I had enough and these are really taking their time coming up.  Finally saw today that one is coming.  

Thanks everyone.

of the 8 seeds i planted 5 have come up. they didn't seem to take long to germinate. i sowed them in peat pellets and in a heated germination mini greenhouse.

After transplanting our ground cherries are taking a long time to do anything and seem really saggy. We planted them in February and they were about 8-9 inches long when we put them in the ground. It's been about two weeks since we placed then and while they're sprouting flowers and new leaves here and there they sure don't seem to be shooting up or anything....

Back