• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Garlic Butter

Anyone have a good garlic butter recipe with fresh garlic? Looking for something that you would find in a pizza restaurant on their knots/breadsticks/crust.

spysee said:
Anyone have a good garlic butter recipe with fresh garlic? Looking for something that you would find in a pizza restaurant on their knots/breadsticks/crust.

A medium whole head of minced garlic to a pound of butter is about right.

Bear in mind that most restaurants that offer such items, especially pizza joints, don't really use butter but rather partially hydrogenated butter like products. 

They taste good but are the equivalent to garlic flavored hypertension/cancer.

Eat at your own risk.

^^^ What TB said for ratio.  Sprinkle with parm and a bit more coarse salt....maybe some parsley flake....

Thanks, seems like a good starting point. Going to kick my pizza game up to the next level with a good crust brushing!

texas blues said:

A medium whole head of minced garlic to a pound of butter is about right.

Bear in mind that most restaurants that offer such items, especially pizza joints, don't really use butter but rather partially hydrogenated butter like products. 

They taste good but are the equivalent to garlic flavored hypertension/cancer.

Eat at your own risk.

I know it is so horrible for you that I an actually feel my arteries hardening as I eat it, but I just LOOOOOVE that stuff Papa John's gives out.

JayT said:

I know it is so horrible for you that I an actually feel my arteries hardening as I eat it, but I just LOOOOOVE that stuff Papa John's gives out.

So says you you stinkin' pork and bacon lovah'!

Wait.

You're also a lover of lettuce too.

Okay maybe bacon ain't so bad.

I also have a horrible love for Long John Silvers.  I limit myself to once or twice a year.  I always regret it afterward, but damn if I don't like eating it.

dash 2 said:
     Anybody have experience with storing (real) garlic butter? Does the garlic preserve well? 
Dash-
I've had very good luck freezing garlic butter and it lasts really well in the fridge.

Since I tend to look at things with an eye for production....here's a couple ideas.  Feel free to scale up or down to your own requirements.

Peeled garlic cloves are available at Costco and often through local stores if you talk to the produce department. 

Run the cloves through a food processor to get 'em all minced up.  You can take some and put it in flat freezer bags.  Freeze them flat.  You can break of bits as needed for cooking and keep the rest frozen.

Add "however much" minced garlic to some softened butter.  Put it in some small (4 oz) Tupperware-type containers.  Keep one in the refer, and freeze the rest. 

salsalady said:

Run the cloves through a food processor to get 'em all minced up.  You can take some and put it in flat freezer bags.  Freeze them flat.  You can break of bits as needed for cooking and keep the rest frozen.

Great idea! It reminds me of how my mom showed me how to preserve basil. Loosely pack leaves in a freezer bag and freeze. Whenever you need basil, just crinkle the frozen bag and shake out some flakes.
     I love fresh garlic, but unless I'm making pernil or vindaloo I usually end up using only a few cloves before the rest of the head starts to sprout and get nasty. Last year I roasted almost all the garlic I grew for storage. Roasted garlic is great, but not as versatile as fresh.
     Now I'm REALLY regretting forgetting to plant garlic last fall…  :doh:

Back