• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water need help with watering/feeding

Hello everyone.. This is my first year growing peppers.  I'm growing them in soil from a local greenhouse inside in a grow tent under a powerful light.  (Lights on temp hoovers around 83, lights off temp around 65) I understand that a schedule for watering/feeding is a delicate balance and requires time to get right, I just have a few questions to help point me in the right direction...

My plants background:
Serranos and Scotch Bonnets. Started them in a root shooter, then to small 3.5" pots, and now they're in 5.5" pots.  I think that i left them in the 3.5" pots too long as they were quite root bound when i moved them up. They seem to be growing quite well for the most part, lots of growth and leaves, I have tons of buds on the various plants and a few flowers have popped out.  But I've got some problems...

Initially i was seeing some white dots on the under side of the leaves... I posted here and the general consensus was Edema due to overwatering.  At the time i was watering thoroughly every other day, but the soil seemed to be dry when i went to water again... i stuck my finger in the side of the pot and it felt dry.  I freaked and spaced out my waterings too far and had a lot of wilting and even lost a few plants.  When i moved the plants to the 5.5" pots, I gave them all a serious trim.  I took off all the leaves that had the white dots and some of the more wilted and or dead leaves..  The plants all seemed to bounce back pretty well. I'm trying to space out waterings to roughly 2 and a half days, and i do start to see some wilt by the time I water, but I'm still seeing the dots.  Add to this, I'm seeing some yellowing along the veins of some of the larger leaves. See pictures below.

My fertilizer:  
I'm using biothrive by general organics... it's 4-3-3. The label gives a recipe of a light feeding of 2t/gallon or a heavy feeding of 4t/gallon.  I'm currently at 3t/gallon and I feed them every time I water.

My questions:
As I understand it, yellowing normally means some sort of deficency... I see some other fertilizers at the hydro store that have much higher numbers... since I'm growing indoors and can't count on the soil web, etc. should i be upping the strength of my feedings? Or maybe switch to a different product?  

Should i water one time and then the next time heavy feed? Or is it ok to feed every time?

As always, thanks in advance for any help!

Pictures:

All the plants:
peppers-6.1.jpg

The yellowing i'm seeing:

peppers-6.2.jpg

I think the problem is too much fertilizing. You don't need to give them ferts every time you water, and it is ok to wait till they start wilting. Then give them a deep watering and let the soil dry out. What kind of soil are they in ? Fertilizing every 10days should be enough.

Yellowing can mean deficiency, but you also need to take into account that deficiency can be caused by nutrient lockout. If you give too much fertilizer, some of the plant macronutrients can "win out" over some of the micronutrients, and cause deficiency via too much fertilizer, since the macros in a sense drown out the micros. I.E., too much nitrogen could lock out calcium or magnesium.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:10 AM
Yellowing can mean deficiency, but you also need to take into account that deficiency can be caused by nutrient lockout. If you give too much fertilizer, some of the plant macronutrients can "win out" over some of the micronutrients, and cause deficiency via too much fertilizer, since the macros in a sense drown out the micros. I.E., too much nitrogen could lock out calcium or magnesium.

Well said! Most people don't understand that a difficiency can be a result of under fertilizing just as much as it can be from over fertilizing.

One thing to add - PH can be a culperate for lockouts also. Certain nutes taken up by the plant can be locked out if the ph is not regulated. For example if the ph is too high, then you can lockout the up-take of Iron, manganese, copper and zinc... see this table for an idea:
http://www.avocadosource.com/tools/fertcalc_files/pH_file/pH.jpg
pH.jpg

That is why you will see recommended soil PH of 6.5-6.8 and hydro is a little different monster altogether, but the recommended hydro PH is 5.8 or thereabouts.

Back