• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

400 w HID on my growshelf?

Hi, I have purchased from a 400w MH/HPS setup from a friend and want to replace my T5 with it.

Only problem is its heavy as **** and seems to emit quite a lot of heat for my little grow space.

I would like to have you opinion on my setup. I was planning to lower the shelf supporting the peppers by 5 or 10 inches and replace the T5 with the MH reflector.

This is an "old" ballast, meaning not the new electronic ones... I would have it on the floor.

I am wondering if the light will be too intense for my apartment...
I am also worried with heat build up if I try to close the shelves with mylar bubble sheets.

Is this a go, or a no-go?? It would definitely help my SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW growing chinenses.
TEURF

Its gonna be pretty bright up in there.

And maybe take that one shelf out instead of just lowering it.

It would be more efficient if you could give a 4x4 area under your new light instead of whatever area the shelf is.

If you close the shelves up with some kind of wrap it wont be as hot if you can leave the ballast on the outside. The bulb still gets hot enough that youd need a ventilation fan though.

I'm saying bad idea. You need a much larger space for a light if that intensity. I would think 12 to 18 inches away from the tops of your plants. That shelve just wouldn't cut it.

yeah i thought a 400w hid was good for like 4x4 area(or more), putting on a 2x2 shelf really close is asking for trouble

Another vote for no. 
It is a great light, but way to intense for that small space. My 600 watt bulb is 20-24" away from the plants. If I get it much closer, it will scorch the larger plants. At 400w 12-18" as GA Growhead pointed out, is about right. 

Jeff H said:
Another vote for no. 
It is a great light, but way to intense for that small space. My 600 watt bulb is 20-24" away from the plants. If I get it much closer, it will scorch the larger plants. At 400w 12-18" as GA Growhead pointed out, is about right. 

Yeah what if I took off the T5 and put the pepper on the lower shelf at the bottom? I would still only have a 2' x 3' space... but they would be further away from the lights

Back